Re: [alt-ed-india] Curriculum Advice

    Message 1 of 13 , May 17, 2004
      Yes, the early years are very formative, and are crucial to the overall development of a human being. I would think that it is precisely for that reason that a child should not be forced into a lot of symbolic work in general and reading/writing in particular. I'm not a brain expert, but from what I read (eg "Children of the Cyclops") the brain needs to do a lot of wiring up of non-symbolic things connected with emotion, relationship with the world, spatial recognition, motor skills, communication and so on. There is evidence that making a child learn to read and write interferes with all that, and can be harmful.

      When we force children into these things, is it really for the child's sake? Or is it to further our own ambition?

      Message 2 of 13 , May 17, 2004
        Don't aim to be an earthly saint, with eyes fixed on a star, Just try to be the fellow that your Mother thinks you are.
        Dear Clive,

        Thank you for sharing your reactions. I suggest you and everyone else in the group read the book, "How Children Learn" by John Holt. In that John has compared the conventional way in which children are taught and how it could have been (or should be?) done! In fact the first section of the book is about how games help children learn.
        If everyone of us state the objective of teaching, and sit to ponder a few minutes how to help children LEARN on their own, many of these issues would never arise.
        Look forward to hearing from more people.
[...]

      • Satish Natarajan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2004
          All that we can teach a child is something necessary
          to live in a society. It can help a child to
          communicate with others and express itself to others.
          That learning can happen slowly.

          Satish

          http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
          Message 4 of 13 , May 18, 2004
            Dear Ramjee,

            Did John Holt suggest that reading and writing be taught to 3 year olds?

            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2004
              Dear Clive,

              I don't think he did.

              In any case, my personal experience has demonstrated (maybe in a limited way, since I am not representative of a population) that reading and writing skills are best cultivated later on.  My child did not know the alphabet properly, what to speak of reading, when he was seven.  He showed a willingness to learn reading at that age, and after that he made steady and sure progress.  Perhaps I pushed him a wee bit at that point, and if I were to do it again I would wait even longer.  For what it is worth, he is able to read some classics like Little Men on his own now (he is 8 and a half).  And he LOVES to read.

              I am glad I waited and would wait longer if I had to.

              -Neela.

              Clive Elwell <cliveelwell@...> wrote:
[...]

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • prerna valimbe
              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                Dear friends,

                I totally agree with Neela that children do not need to be taught reading and writing at 3 years. The reasons are many.
                1. They are physically not mature. ( the fine motor muscles needed for writing have not been developed) Children who start writing at this age either have a wrong grip as they adjust to the grip which least stresses their muscles. Thses children are saturated by the time they are in 5th or 6th grade and do not like writing.
                2. They are cognitively unprepared for reading and writing as writing starts from alphabets which by themseleves does not have any meaning.
                3. The formative years should be used for developing the senses , developing fine motor and gross motor skills which shall be needed by the children for skills necessary in later life.
                4. The children when they are ready ask for writing themseleves when the maturity level arrives, my child now nine was never asked for a a pencil till she was 5 after which she started writng , has a very good writing and loves writing.
                5. A lot of pre-writing and prereading activities should be given to the children. like sightreading, prewriting skills to develop eye hand coordination, and muscles while woring on a particular projects.
                 We at Grammangal have develped a curriculum which takes care of these concepts. We are now starting a home schooling program for our own children Which we call " Learning Homes "  for children in the age group of 5 to 9 are there.

                Do visit our website www.grammangal.org

                Regards
                 Prerna

                Message 7 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                  Neela wrote:

                  "And he LOVES to read".

                  This is the point isn't it? It may be possible to force or coax or reward/punish a child into any activity in a way, but what is the end result? All too often a distaste for learning, resistance, boredom, or even depression.

                  And who is to say at what age a child "should be" reading and writing? What basis is there for the "experts" to claim at 4, 5, 6, 7 years old or whatever?