Re: [alt-ed-india] INVITATION

  • salil sahadevan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2004
      Dear All,
      It is nioce of you for having such a discussion in
      Bangalore and Pune. If HSIM and Prerna can summarise
      the major out come of the discussion as a short paper,
      it would be beneficial for all the discussion team.
      We, in Kollam plan a seminar next month, I will report
      it to all. Perhaps I can put such matters in a
      forthcming quarterly journal.
      Regards
      salil

    • Rajesh Lele
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2004
        Dear All,

        There are a few points i'd like to make.

        1. The system of 'home-schooling' per se was
        prevailing in all cultures prior to the 18th or 19th
        century, because that was the place kids grew up and
        developed themselves - in the home. This is
        independent of cultures of east, west, north, south.
        At best, if I understand correctly, some cultures had
        a grouping of students attached to a 'guru' but the
        environment was more real-worldly, rather than
        academic.

        2. With the growth of 'public' schools, the system
        moved from one of individual attention to a 'factory'
        mode of mass-production - perhaps a notion carried
        over from industrial production system.

        3. In a way a return to basics is happening as we
        witness in the growth of this movement in the US and
        now across different places.

        4. Most older systems were wisely put to-gether and I
        do agree we must return to the 2 key points mentioned
        - human relationships and a 'natural' pace of
        development - not fast, not slow - just natural.

        5. It would be indeed intersting to understand
        educational methods of yore - but why only Indian?
        Today one has the opportunity to get information from
        the world and I'm sure we would learn a lot from other
        cultures too.

        6. Finally, is it possible that a summary / notes from
        these meetings (Prerna's and Neela's - and others) be
        shared with the other forum members. It would make for
        interesting reading and may throw up new avenues for
        teaching, benefitting all. If possible a simple
        document can be created using MS-Word or equivalent
        and loaded in the files section of the forum.

        My 2 paise woth.

        Warm Regards

        Rajesh Lele

      • prerna valimbe
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2004
          Dear Friends,

          The session was great. These sessions are free for all and parents of a mixed group come here. some are probable homeschoolers. We are forming a group of children who shall be learning in a multigrade group and we are calling it the LEARNING HOME. we wish to delete the word 'schooling' from the homeschooling due to its restricted meaning.

          I shall post the details of the sessions as soon as possible.
          Take care
          Prerna

          HSIM <hsim95@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

          This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

[...]

        • Taleem
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26, 2004
            Dear All,
            I agree with Rajesh that we can learn from the experiences of several
            ancient cultures . It would be very interesting to hear from Prerna and
            Neela about the meetings they attended.I was in Uttaranchal trying to
            understand learning as it happens in hill communities. Just got back today,
            will try and putdown a note once I am through with attending to office
            backlog. Just to remind friends again, I am with multiworld network working
            on an alternative education source book. Do look up www.multiworld.org for
            the taleenet link when you have the time.
            Regards,
            Nyla.

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26, 2004
              Dear Salil, Do send details of this meeting with dates and theme.also what
              is the name of the quaterly journal you mention?
              nyla
> [...]
              those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate.
              The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational
              questions, to learn together, to share, and to support those who are home
              educating.

              > If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn more about the
              Alternative Education in India group, and view the archives, by visiting:

              > To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:
              alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

              > If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe
              by sending an email to:

              > There are associated web pages at:
              > www.alternativeeducationindia.net
              >
              > Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data
              base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with

            • HSIM
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2004
                Hi Salil and everybody,

                Sorry for not having responded earlier.  Sometimes travelling between two countries can make your schedule too hectic for prompt follow-ups.

                I do not have the minutes of the previous meeting (the one I participated in, in Bangalore) with me here but let me see if I can get one of the participants to help me summarize.  Please be patient with me!!  There were 3-4 Sanskrit scholars who were able to translate portions of old texts and provide us with info.

                I am also curious to know if there are any home-educators who are also dual income families.  The stories of these families should be very interesting.  Also, are there any others who are homeschooling amid severe hardships?  Can this forum offer support to such homeschoolers?  Can we publish their articles of struggle and survival?

                More in my next.
                -Neela.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Dear nyla, neela, telem and others,
                  The name of the quarterly is "Education insight" and
                  is published from Kollam. Though I personally inclined
                  to do an alternative education journal; its not
                  possible atpresent atleast for the time being due to
                  comeercial reasons. It is very difficult to sustain
                  among the education publications which have big
                  newtwork and financial muscles. This is a small
                  venture. Alternative education news and articles are
                  highly welcomed. If somebody can summarise our
                  discussion board itself (with the permission of our
                  frined-members) that could be nice. This discussion
                  board could be the first of its kind attempt gearing
                  towards an alternative education culture.
                  What do you feel?
                  The programmes I mentioned earler has been postponed.
                  I will let you know the dates and venue soon.
                  regards
                  salil

                  === message truncated ===

                • Taleem
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28, 2004
                    Dear Salil,
                    How do I subscribe to thequaterly "EDUCATION INSIGHT" ?. Please could I have
                    the address of the publishers with tel no and email if possible.
                    The multiworld.org website has a news letter named Kamiriithu which
                    addresses alt edu/ and other related isues. It can be read online or
                    downloaded for free. Do take a look. Also if you would like us to send
                    copies by post you may send your address to taleem@...
                    I would have offered to suumerise our disussions but right now have too much
                    work piled up on my table. We could also consider doing it by rotation every
                    couple of months. I could do it for July and Aug maybe.Any volunteers for
                    the interim?
                    Did you know there is an informal network of alternate schools of Southern
                    India .They meet once a year for about 3 days.
                    Nyla
                    Taleemnet

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2004
                      Dear Nyla and all,
                      Education Insight is published by me and edited by
                      Soni Thengamom. I will send you the copy by the end of
                      this month. Those who would like to have a copy please
                      forward the mailing addresses.
                      I will try to do the compilation of our discussion
                      board for coming issue.
                      Address:
                      EDUCATION INSIGHT
                      206, SEEMAS CENTRE