Re: software for learning & doing astronomy

  • genieratnesh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8 10:05 AM
      Hi - Here is an update to the previous post.
      While Stellarium is quite amazing it does tend to hog the resources of your coputer and you may find your system response slowing down quite a bit when ultitaskin with it.
      Also some of us do not prefer to install a software - would rather run something directly from the net.

      So if you are looking for something simple and sleek - here you go - Astroviewer  (uses java)

      http://www.astroviewer.com/interactive-night-sky-map.php

      AstroViewer is an interactive night sky map that helps you to find your way in the night sky quickly and easily. Due to its intuitive user interface, it is well suited for astronomy beginners.

      AstroViewer allows you to:

      • display the night sky
        • for any time and
        • for any position on Earth,
      • find out the names and other information about the stars, planets, etc. on the display,
      • find stars, constellations and planets,
      • print a sky chart,
      • display a 3D-map of the solar system.
      regards
      aditi-ratnesh

      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Geniekids <ratadi2@...> wrote:

      > Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a
      > realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars
      > or a telescope.
      > It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and
      > go.
      >
      > http://www.stellarium.org/
      >

      > Warm Regards
      > Aditi & Ratnesh
      > Geniekids Learning Resources Pvt. Ltd
      > There is genie inside every child
      > come lets discover the magic
      > Phones: 2520-2510, 411-61-575, 98450-45833
      > Website: www.geniekids.com
      > Geniekids Learning Center:
      > No 3023, 8th Cross, 13th Main (NPS road), HAL 2nd Stage, Bangalore 560008
      > Please give us feedback at www.geniekids.com/feedback
      > Also *SAVE PAPER* Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely
      > necessary. Spread environmental awareness.

    • Venugopal Maddukuri
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8 10:13 AM
        Talking of Astronomy

        I remember when in Pune in 1990-95, a friend was part of the young members of the local Astronomy club. They would make their own Telescope out of old PVC tubes and grinding a thick piece of glass to make lenses. He would tell me about the all night sky watch outings they organized.

        Are there any such groups in Bangalore ? -- OK .. a quick google search gave me this..

        cheers
        venu
        ---
        Venugopal Maddukuri
        +91 9880 063 252

        On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Geniekids <ratadi2@...> wrote:

        Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
        It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

        http://www.stellarium.org/

        Warm Regards
        Aditi & Ratnesh

      • S P Mathew
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8 11:04 PM
          Thank you...this s excellent. As far as real night watching is concerned, the only problem is the quality of the night sky in a city like Mumbai.

          Hi - Here is an update to the previous post.
          While Stellarium is quite amazing it does tend to hog the resources of your coputer and you may find your system response slowing down quite a bit when ultitaskin with it.
          Also some of us do not prefer to install a software - would rather run something directly from the net.

          So if you are looking for something simple and sleek - here you go - Astroviewer  (uses java)

          http://www.astrovie wer.com/interact ive-night- sky-map.php

          AstroViewer is an interactive night sky map that helps you to find your way in the night sky quickly and easily. Due to its intuitive user interface, it is well suited for astronomy beginners.

          AstroViewer allows you to:

          • display the night sky
            • for any time and
            • for any position on Earth,
          • find out the names and other information about the stars, planets, etc. on the display,
          • find stars, constellations and planets,
          • print a sky chart,
          • display a 3D-map of the solar system.
          regards
          aditi-ratnesh

          --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, Geniekids <ratadi2@...> wrote:

          > Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a
          > realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars
          > or a telescope.
          > It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and
          > go.
          >
          > http://www.stellari um.org/
          >

          > Warm Regards
          > Aditi & Ratnesh
          > Geniekids Learning Resources Pvt. Ltd
          > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
          > There is genie inside every child
          > come lets discover the magic
          > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
          > Phones: 2520-2510, 411-61-575, 98450-45833
          > Website: www.geniekids. com
          > Geniekids Learning Center:
          > No 3023, 8th Cross, 13th Main (NPS road), HAL 2nd Stage, Bangalore 560008
          > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -------
          > Please give us feedback at www.geniekids. com/feedback
          > ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *******
          > Also *SAVE PAPER* Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely
          > necessary.. Spread environmental awareness.

          Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Click here.
        • manju3261
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8 11:56 PM
            Hi Venu and Aditi-Ratnesh,

            Thank you for all the astronomy resources! Does anyone know more about making telescope, binoculars etc at home out of stuff like Venu mentioned? I serached through arvindguptatoys but could not come across anything like that. Also a microscope.

            By the way...that site contains a sundial model which looks very interesting and which we are planning to try.

            By the way...how do you go about introducing astronomy to children? Does one need to be very knowledgeable? Looking for suggestions and tips...

            Best,
            Manju

            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Venugopal Maddukuri <madvenu@...> wrote:

            > Talking of Astronomy
            > I remember when in Pune in 1990-95, a friend was part of the young members
            > of the local Astronomy club. They would make their own Telescope out of old
            > PVC tubes and grinding a thick piece of glass to make lenses. He would tell
            > me about the all night sky watch outings they organized.
            >
            > Are there any such groups in Bangalore ? -- OK .. a quick google search gave
            > me this..
            >
            > http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/~aaa/amateur_clubs/aaa-all.htm
            >
            > cheers
            > venu
            > ---
            > Venugopal Maddukuri
            > +91 9880 063 252
            >

            > On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Geniekids <ratadi2@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows
            > > a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars
            > > or a telescope.
            > > It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and
            > > go.
            > >
            > > http://www.stellarium.org/
            > >

            > > Warm Regards
            > > Aditi & Ratnesh

          • svani
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9 9:05 AM
              Manju,

              Our kids have been interested in it from very young ages. We used binoculars to view the constellations initially and now regulars to the space museum on sat nights to view them through the amateur astronomers and experiences ones,  and also through museum's fantastic telescopes. They were first hooked through books and staring at the sky.  I started to investigate ways to study a few constellations from the state parks and my kids studied them by just trying to follow the guide of the constellation book. The light pollution can impede in the viewing. We live pretty close to the state park at an elevation and some of the astronomy could be done from our backyard. But other days we drive up to the highest elevation and camp out there.

              We have a great pair of binoculars .....This is a simplistic thing to do...you can also study the constellation through nake eye once you know where to look for them(and then whenever you look up the sky you would be studying and looking and 'seeing' only constellations, not stars anymore :))
              Here are some resources.
              http://web.austin.utexas.edu/edcannon/binoculars.html
              http://www.lightandmatter.com/binosky/binosky.html
              http://www.uvaa.org/BinocularResources.htm

              But then we also have a telescope that we use. My kids still visit the space museum to meet the scientists and learn more from them. Here are few more resources.
              http://astroguyz.com/2008/08/07/family-backyard-stargazing/
              http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx
              http://astronomyonline.org/
              http://www.kidsastronomy.com/
              http://www.astronomy-for-kids-online.com/
              Books here
              This site gives you an idea of constellations
              more here
              The first time I saw Jupiter when my dd was 2yrs old, I thought to myself 'they are real' and then went back in line each time to view it along with my child:) It is a very humbling experience and very addictive one too:) 'I' love it. There are huge organizations, clubs, here that does astronomy free of charge. It comprises of scientists as well. My kids know lot more about astronomy than I do even today; they have gone beyond the basics and figure out many more things and it is so wonderful to learn from them these days....
              Good luck
              Svani

            • genieratnesh
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9 11:26 AM
                In Bangalore - the active astronomy group is
                Bangalore Astronomical Society - BAS (www.bas.org.in)
                using Google gorups for communication
                http://groups.google.com/group/b-a-s?hl=en

                Last saturday these guys did a lecture-demo in Nehru planetarium - which was quite informative. For those in Bangalore - there is star party coming up in Hampi on 21-22 march - check the above website for details.

                Reg. telescope - my take is as follows
                Its great fun to make a fun telescope using disposed off lenses and cardboard pipes - the idea is just pick up a set of old lenses (you will get at any scientific supply stores (the ones that supply lab material to schools - check out yellow pages of your city)
                [In bangalore contact Vasa Scientific Co, Krishna Bldg, Avn Rd, Blr-560002. Phone: 080-22211371]

                Now play around with these lens varying the distances between the lenses and distance between your eye (focal point) and them. If you record what you do as diagrams - you can learn a huge amount of optics (we did this as kids as my father was an ophthalmologist and had a suitcase of lenses :-)

                The telescope that we would hence make are normally not suitable for astronomy - as optics is a fairly refined production process. For this it is best to let the astronomers groups or planetariums to spend for you :-)

                All said - i guess a lot can be done with just the eye!

                We as a family are quite excited as we are just starting exploring astronomy - will keep you updated of our experiences.

                Warm Regards
                Aditi & Ratnesh
                Geniekids Learning Resources Pvt. Ltd
                There is genie inside every child
                come lets discover the magic
                Phones: 2520-2510, 411-61-575, 98450-45833
                Website: www.geniekids.com
                Geniekids Learning Center:
                No 3023, 8th Cross, 13th Main (NPS road), HAL 2nd Stage, Bangalore 560008

                --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Venugopal Maddukuri <madvenu@...> wrote:

                > Talking of Astronomy
                > I remember when in Pune in 1990-95, a friend was part of the young members
                > of the local Astronomy club. They would make their own Telescope out of old
                > PVC tubes and grinding a thick piece of glass to make lenses. He would tell
                > me about the all night sky watch outings they organized.
                >
                > Are there any such groups in Bangalore ? -- OK .. a quick google search gave
                > me this..
                >
                > http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/~aaa/amateur_clubs/aaa-all.htm
                >
                > cheers
                > venu
                > ---
                > Venugopal Maddukuri
                > +91 9880 063 252
                >

                > On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Geniekids <ratadi2@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows
                > > a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars
                > > or a telescope.
                > > It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and
                > > go.
                > >
                > > http://www.stellarium.org/
                > >

                > > Warm Regards
                > > Aditi & Ratnesh

              • manju3261
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10 4:25 AM
                  Thank you for the loads of resources and very inspiring mail! Here in Chennai, we escape to the terrace every night to beat the heat and star-gazing is one of the benefits :-)

                  Best,
                  Manju

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11 8:43 AM
                    Hello Manju

                    If you want instructions on making a telescope, its at http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/~aaa/
                    On that page, follow the links on the left side of the page...

                    BEst would be to get in touch with one of the local ameteur associations. If you are in Pune.. a call or visit to IUCCA in the Pune university complex would be instructive probably. Another good source may be the 'Planeteriums' in each city -- normally Nehru Planeterium in Bangalore...

                    Anyway, I also looked at some google search resources of this. Found the following..

                    Happy researching... Do report back on your progress. I would love to introduce this to my child too.... :)

                    Venugopal Maddukuri
                    +91 9880 063 252