Homeschooling and standardized testing

  • sanjaytumati
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
      Hello Everybody

      I have a question. Suppose a child is homeschooled for the first few
      years, say till the age of 11. Is it possible for that particluar
      child to join a conventional school from the age of 12, in a
      commensurate grade, say 7th standard? By possible, i dont mean from a
      scocial sense, as in will he/she able to cope. What i am really
      asking is, if conventional schools will accept such a child into
      their program?
      What about the board exams. Can such a child sit for the 1oth
      standard boards in ICSE/CBSE/State even if he has been homeschooled
      till that age? Do these educational boards allow such students to sit
      for the exams?
      Finally what about Professional colleges. Do professional
      colleges accept such students? By accept, i mean again in the legal
      sense. Can a homeschooled student sit for the IITJEE/AIIMS/etc
      examinations for entrance into these colleges?

      Thank You
      ---Sanjay
    • Bala Krishnan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
        Hello Sanjay,
        There is no problem in getting admission in formal school, you have to get a letter from a qualified teacher (with B.Ed) saying that he gave private tuitions at home.  The school will conduct a test and admit the child, it is the usual procedure.  Now we also have open school systems that is the child can write 8th, 10th or Higher secondary exams as private candidate.  All these being recognized they can definitely go write professional course entrance tests and join the course.
        Regards
        Bala

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • SVasuraj
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2004
          Hi Sanjay,

          Further to Bala's mail, I think you should go through the following site which will give you further insight into private students sitting for the indian board exams. The site is www.nos.org. In my opinion, it is a major breakthrough for those parents who want to educate their children at home under the indian curriculum.

          Regards,
          Sangita
[...]

          This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

          To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

          If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

          There are associated web pages at:
          www.alternativeeducationindia.net

          Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

        • Rajesh Lele
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2004
            Hello Sanjay,

            I don't know about the equivalence at the school level
            and i'd look forward to suggestions / views of the
            educators on this list.

            However, for 10th and 12th there is a very good
            institute formerly the National Open School now called
            the National Institute for Open Schooling.
            http://www.nos.org/

            They have the equivalence of the 10th and 12th exams
            through their centres in India.

            Also, I found out from this forum itself, that one can
            do the British O and A levels through distance mode -
            more details can be found from the British council
            libraries.

            Hope this helps.

            Warm Regards

            Rajesh Lele