Re: [alt-ed-india] Introduction and Questions

  • Chandra Fischer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13 3:08 AM
      Hi to the group and welcome to Maggie (your thread caught my eye) ...I
      don't think I've introduced myself yet. ..been meaning to, but mostly
      just lurking, reading your posts and experiences.

      I am Chandra Fischer...an American (albeit with an Indian
      name...though I'm Minnesota born and raised mix of Polish, German,
      Irish.....etc) I have been living in Bangalore with my husband and
      kids for a year and will be living here for another year to 15 months.
      We are new homeschoolers, having tried out a couple of school options
      in Bangalore last school year and being dissatisfied, electing to go
      the homeschool route... Homeschooling is something I have thought
      about for a long time, though...and it is a great fit for us. We are
      kind of a holistic ecletic mixed bag as far as school goes...some
      times more structured, other times more unschool-ish and of course,
      evolving all of that as we go along. So far, we are just really
      enjoying the freedom, flexibility, strengthened relationships and more
      time to read and do art!! My children are a 7 year old daughter and a
      4 year old son and we are very interested in meeting other
      homeschooling families in Bangalore (we know a few expat homeschoolers
      but that's about it and we'd love to expand our horizons!)

      Maggie, I'm from Minneapolis, MN :-) I am also a midwife student,
      currently studying to complete my Birthworks CBE certification, former
      ICAN leader and I wanted to let you know about the Birth India group
      that came into existence a year ago... Ruth Malik out of Mumbai is the
      founder and there are a number of Birth Networks in other areas. The
      Birth India website is currently under major construction but it
      should be up soon and you could contact Birth India at
      india.birth@.... Aside from advocacy, preserving birth history
      and traditions and educating women about their options they also
      sponsor occasional workshops and conferences. If you email off list,
      I can give you Ruth's email and more information, if you like.

      Anyway, Hi to everyone...I've really been enjoying reading the posts :-)

      Chandra

      On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Vinish Gupta <gupta.vinish@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > It might be difficult to find the regular sorts of activities that you are seeking for your kids in a place like Sarnath, but perhaps other possibilities will emerge.
      > Best!
      > Vinish
      >

      > --
      > Vinish Gupta
      >
      > SIDH
      > Hazelwood Cottage
      > P.O. Box 19, Landour Cantt.
      > Mussoorie 248179
      > Uttarakhand, India.
      > Telephone: 91-135-6455203, 91-1376-213060,
      > Tel: +91-9411144021
      > http://www.gapyearcollege.org
      >

      > 2008/7/12 mshapiro_75 <mshapiro_75@...>:
      >>
      >> Hello-
      >>
      >> I recently found and joined your group and am so glad I did! I spent
      >> a lot of time reading the archives last night and am looking forward
      >> to getting to know this group better. I thought I should introduce
      >> myself (and my family) and dive right in.
      >>
      >> I am Maggie, and we are a homeschooling family from the Madison,
      >> Wisconsin, in the US. We will be moving to India, for a year, in
      >> September while my husband does research for his PhD. The kids are 10
      >> (a girl) and 4 (a boy). We've homeschooled for the past 3 years - my
      >> daughter went to public school for 2 years and has been home ever after.
      >>
      >> We'll be living primarily in Varanasi (or perhaps Sarnath - my husband
      >> will be studying there), although we have some longer visits to Ladakh
      >> and Pune planned for the latter part of our trip.
      >>
      >> So, while I feel like a fairly experienced homeschooler, I know
      >> nothing about life in India! My husband has lived there off and on
      >> for years, but the kids and I have never been. I'd love to connect
      >> with homeschoolers in Varanasi, Pune and Ladakh (although we will be
      >> living in a tiny village there, so social connections may be a
      >> challenge).
      >>
      >> I'm curious what sorts of things we can do to connect our kids with
      >> other children. We enjoy a rich vibrant homeschool support group here
      >> - are there such things in the places we'll be? How can I find
      >> 'extra-curricular activities' for my kids? (Swim team, soccer, art
      >> classes, theater companies...)
      >>
      >> I was lucky enough to meet and learn from Manish Jain of Shikshantar
      >> this past winter - anyone in this group connected with those folks?
      >> I'm hoping we'll be able to visit them at some point.
      >>
      >> And last, a slightly more mom-centered question: I am a childbirth
      >> educator, doula and am beginning midwifery training this summer. Can
      >> anyone point me toward a natural/traditional birth community in
      >> Varanasi? (or Ladakh or Pune?) It is my hope that while I'm in India
      >> I'll be able to connect with other birthworkers and learn from them.
      >> I'll have basic medical/midwifery skills to offer in exchange for the
      >> opportunity to shadow midwives, etc.
      >>
      >> Any ideas or advice would be so appreciated! This is all really very

    • Suman KB
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13 6:47 AM
        Hi,
        Please have a look at www.myspace.com/sradharetreat an respond
        Suman

        india.birth@ gmail.com. Aside from advocacy, preserving birth history

        On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Vinish Gupta <gupta.vinish@ gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
        >> - are there such things in the places we'll be? How can I find
        >> 'extra-curricular activities' for my kids? (Swim team, soccer, art
        >> classes, theater companies... )
        >>
        >> I was lucky enough to meet and learn from Manish Jain of Shikshantar
        >> this past winter - anyone in this group connected with those folks?
        >> I'm hoping we'll be able to visit them at some point.
        >>
        >> And last, a slightly more mom-centered question: I am a childbirth
        >> educator, doula and am beginning midwifery training this summer. Can
        >> anyone point me toward a natural/traditional birth community in
        >> Varanasi? (or Ladakh or Pune?) It is my hope that while I'm in India
        >> I'll be able to connect with other birthworkers and learn from them.
        >> I'll have basic medical/midwifery skills to offer in exchange for the
        >> opportunity to shadow midwives, etc.
        >>
        >> Any ideas or advice would be so appreciated! This is all really very

        From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Click here.

      • net_sp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13 11:23 PM
          Hello Chandra...

          sometimes more structured, other times more unschool-ish and of
          course,evolving all of that as we go along. So far, we are just
          reallyenjoying the freedom, flexibility, strengthened relationships
          and more time to read and do art!!

          SAME HERE!!!!!!!!!

          --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Chandra Fischer"