Re: [alt-ed-india] activities and games for the senses (1)

  • Prashanth Visweswaran
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      Thanks Clive. This is good. I was reminded of Robert the Brude and the Spider. He learnt and won by observing the spider.

      Here is the story...

      Bruce and the Spider
      (Scotland)
      HUNDREDS of years ago there was a king of Scotland and his name was Robert the Bruce. It was a good thing that he was both brave and wise, because the times in which he lived were wild and dangerous. The King of England was at war with him, and had led a great army into Scotland to drive him out of the land and to make Scotland a part of England.
                      Battle after battle he had fought with England. Six times Robert the Bruce had led his brave little army against his foes. Six times his men had been beaten, until finally they were driven into flight. At last the army of Scotland was entirely scattered, and the king was forced to hide in the woods and in lonely places among the mountains.
                      JonathanOne rainy day, Robert the Bruce lay in a cave, listening to the rainfall outside the cave entrance. He was tired and felt sick at heart, ready to give up all hope. It seemed to him that there was no use for him to try to do anything more.
                      As he lay thinking, he noticed a spider over his head, getting ready to weave her web. He watched her as she worked slowly and with great care. Six times she tried to throw her thread from one edge of the cave wall to another. Six times her thread fell short.
                      "Poor thing!" said Robert the Bruce. "You, too, know what it's like to fail six times in a row."
                      But the spider did not lose hope. With still more care, David, age 8she made ready to try for a seventh time. Robert the Bruce almost forgot his own troubles as he watched, fascinated. She swung herself out upon the slender line. Would she fail again? No! The thread was carried safely to the cave wall, and fastened there.
                      "Yes!" cried Bruce, "I, too, will try a seventh time!"
                      David, age 9So he arose and called his men together. He told them of his plans, and sent them out with hopeful messages to cheer the discouraged people. Soon there was an army of brave men around him. A seventh battle was fought, and this time the King of England was forced to retreat back to his own country.
                      It wasn't long before England recognized Scotland as an independent country with Robert the Bruce as its rightful king.
                      And to this very day, the victory and independence of Scotland is traced to a spider who kept trying again and again to spin her web in a cave and inspired the king of Scotland, Robert the Bruce.

      Peter, age 7

      Clive Elwell <cliveelwell@...> wrote:
      Here is something I tried with my daughter (ie both of us together!)
      recently.

      I obtained a colour chart from a shop selling tinted paint. The sort where
      there is perhaps 40 or more shades of green on one card. We then went for a
      walk in a park and tried to find things -leaves, grasses, flowers etc, that
      matched "exactly" colours on the chart. There is a lot to be learnt from
      this activity!

      I choose shades of green because that is what there is in New Zealand.
      Others sorts of colours could be chosen to suit the environment, eg earth
      colours.

      As with most ideas, there are a great many possibilities for extension and
      variation. For example the children could make their own colour charts with
      paints or crayons - as you mention in your project.

      a reservation occurs to me. As with many activities to do with the senses,
      an element of measuring comes in - compare two colours, put things in order,
      etc. Is this in contradiction to our basic aim of enhancing sensitivity? Is
      it not possible to observe without though coming in at all? What do you say
      Jinan?

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      www.alternativeeducationindia.net

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.