Re: [alt-ed-india] Yahoo! News Story - Home is no place for school

  • HSIM
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      I do acknowledge your points.  I like to relate these discussions to my personal experiences - practical application.  Yes, there are some subject areas which I do not feel equipped to teach, which my child shows an avid interest in.  I am also a bit too lazy to learn EVERYTHING along with him :), such as baseball.  And there are a few subjects which cannot be entirely child-led, either - like the tabla for example.  So utilizing resources (including tutors or grandparents) is very much in order and does fit in with homeschooling.

      On another note: I sometimes feel that the program which we are part of (ISP with the district) is a bit restrictive and a "wee bit" dictatorial, but it is a compromise I have made because I don't get much support from the Indian community out here - and I have had challenges with my family as well!!  Seems like most of the local Indians are waiting for me to announce that I gave up homeschooling, and failed in my attempts somehow!  Even some of the 'spiritual' leaders here tried to dissuade me, albeit unsuccessfully.  I am actually the only Indian I know who is homeschooling in my region.

      I wonder what kind of experiences and challenges the rest of you have, if any.  Knowing may help me feel less isolated.

      Thanks.

      Borunendra N Deb <borudeb@...> wrote:
      It is easy as a homeschooler to dismiss the article outright, yet
      there are several valid points to consider.

      One is the"anyone can teach" point. In fact often parents make
      bad "teachers". The expectation level may get so high that their
      children get turned off. And there is something called bad
      teaching that could happen at home that would be defeating.
      Bad teaching could be worse than no teaching.

      Conversely, parents whio are good managers of learning will do a
      much better job for a child's education than any institution.
      Managing learning, however, doesn't mean avoiding/denying the
      facilities available in learning institutions. When required a child
      may be directed to a conventional "teacher" or "school" to pick
      up knowledge or a skill.

      "While some parents may be competent to teach very young
      children, that competence will wane in more advanced grades as
      the content and complexity increases." Here the article refers to
      content and the point is made.

       The second para, "whole child." , "all of the children of all of the
      people come together." is rather naive.The  ambience in public
      schools is far from harmonious and
      peaceful. The tension in relationships between students,
      between groups of students ("gangs", between teachers,
      between groups of teachers ("gangs") is common to all schools,
      making school experience damaging, even crippling in some
      cases... Besides homeschooling isn't about cocooning and all
      that has been said in the article regarding denial of social values
      and  democracy is baseless.. Of course the homeschooling
      parent must be aware, however, of the danger of cocooning,
      which maybe happen.

      "...... Roman educator, Quintilian (A.D. 95). In opposing home
      schooling, (he) wrote, 'It is one thing to shun schools entirely,
      another to choose from them.'..." That "entirely" is the key word,
      of course.

      In conclusion, it needs to be said that when we talk of education
      we mean much, much more than mere "schooling" where
      "schooling" is predominantly about acquiring knowledge and
      skills. Holistic education includes the acquisition of knowledge
      and skills but extends to include right relationship with other
      human beings, with material things, with ideas and attitudes,
      human psyche, depth of understanding,etc..In predominantly
      pursuing knowledge and skills, "schools"  make education a very
      small, measly affair and severely damage the wholeness of
      childhood in the process.

      Borudeb

      Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online. Post your profile.

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      www.alternativeeducationindia.net

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

    • Rajesh Lele
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        Hi,

        This is the first time I'm hearing of social pressure
        against HS. It must be taking a lot to stay in.

        While my mom is also skeptical of the whole process -
        in fact both the arguments in the article are het pet
        arguments against HS, she has not interfered with the
        desicion in any way.

        In fact, in India, it is enough of a novelty for eyes
        to pop like Jim Carrey in Mask. :-)

        However, in and around Navi Mumnbai there are a few
        families who have taken this up and though we don't
        meet as often as we would like to, there is telephonic
        contact, sharing of resources and experiences that
        happens.

        The challenges I see are the ones the author has tried
        to articulate in the article. However, it is the
        dismissive tone that has not gone well.

        Warm Regards

        Rajesh Lele

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Prashanth Visweswaran
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
          Here is our experience:

          We are, I guess the only "full" Indian family pursuing homeschooling in our region. There is one other family...father is Indian, mom is italian who are homeschooling their 2 little boys.

          We had to change our plans on relocating to India due to various reasons and so we are now continuing here for HE knows how long.

          We have 2 focus areas, Academics and enrichment programs.

          My wife and I try to help out our kids in academics. Our son (8) does a lot himself, our daughter (5) needs some help.

          We are members of a newly formed Co- Op, where they go on Mondays for about 4 hours. I teach public speaking to the kids there. In the Co-Op, our son learns Tae Kwon Do, Violin and is member of the Inventions team, our daughter is again in a whole load of fun programs for Kinders.

          They are members of various clubs, like the local swim club, track and Cross country club and Chess Club. There is also a program for kids to learn and develop their own gardens, known as "Wonder Sprouts". Weekends, I take my kids to hiking and field trips, We also have prayers in our place on Saturdays. A lot of the spare time is spent in the local public library

          We have some friends here. Quite a few of them are Indians. We do not attempt discussing with them how lousy the public school system is. They know it themselves, but would refuse to accept it. We do not feel ostracized, because it does not matter to us. Truly our very busy and active schedules and work outs keeps us away from unwanted gossip.

          I have also felt, that since my wife really does most of the "hands on" facilitation, she needs constant motivation and encouragement. She loves being with the kids, but there are moments. It is homeschooling not mom schooling. My sister has been homeschooling her kids for the last 4 years and this has helped us.

          Neela, I can understand most of what you have mentioned. We use our uniqueness in being Indian homeschoolers to its maximum. Amongst a  community of predominantly Caucasian homescholers, we Brownies stand out. Others have come to us to learn about India and being Indian. We live in an apartment and so have the benefit of people from different parts of the world. We have organized origami classes from a Japanese family who became very good friends, we have organized Deepavali get togethers.

          All this is a lot of effort...!!!. But homeschooling is really about unconditional love and where there is so much of love, there is no effort.

          My son and I were driving back last evening after a run. I saw the crescent shaped moon and told him to take a look at it. He looked at the moon and explained to me why the moon was shaped thus. I knew for sure, he was being "educated".

          Here is a joke.......

          When we were planning on relocating to India for good, we had asked my father who lives in Bangalore to find out from folks there if anyone was pursuing homeschooling.

          So my father went to some neighbors who had kids and asked them if they knew anything about homeschooling. Here is waht they told him....

          "Are you crazy....teaching at hom huh? We  have paid 50,000 rupees donation for each of our kids to get them into school. Do you think we are mad?"

          Regards,
          Prashanth

          http://shopping.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
            Dear All,

            A comment from this post - "We do not attempt
            discussing with them how lousy the public school
            system is. They know it themselves, but would refuse
            to accept it"

            For all of India's IT workforce and brilliant
            engineers, the education system here too is
            criticised. It is not as much a reluctance to admit
            something bad, but a reluctance to do something about
            it.

            Most parents I know agree that school and college puts
            enormous pressure on the kids. But they shrug it off
            with a helplessness and indifference that is shocking.
            Yet there is this fear that any other alternative is
            either too flaky or too expensive.

            I do like the variety of extra activities through
            these clubs you mentioned. In fact that is one thing
            sorely missing in Mumbai - or I have not found it yet
            -
            In case anyone has any information about nature clubs,
            sports clubs - not the expensive 5-star variety though
            - please let me know.

            Warm Regards

            Rajesh Lele

            === message truncated ===

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • HSIM
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
              Thanks all, for your postings.

              Since homeschooling IS such a family oriented thing, it is impossible to go on discussing it without bringing the personal element into the picture.  You are all right: it HAS been hard for me to homeschool/ unschool in the light of various pressures.  But the way I look at it is that there are some exemplary parents / single moms/ others who homeschool in the face of even more difficult challenges than I face.  A couple of them I personally know.  If they can do it, and it works for them, what prevents me from trying?  I am certainly better off than them in so many ways.  Doesn't mean that homeschooling WILL work for me no matter what my circumstances, but it does mean that I must constantly do my best for my child - and right now, homeschooling seems the choiceless choice!  :).

              This is what I say to myself in any case.

              One of the saving features for me is my small network of supportive friends.  We are also looking into starting a co-op here - it is easier if one is already in place; to start one is a bit of a challenge.  And yes, owing to some of my circumstantial pressures, I have opted for the ISP versus being a full-time unschooler/ independent homeschooler.  It lends a certain 'credibility' when you say that you are home-educating through the district (yeah right).

              What an interesting life :).

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
                Rajesh,

                I have found this website good

                There are some clubs / activities in Mumbai that have been identified. I don't know about costs.