Re: [alt-ed-india] Yahoo! News Story - Home is no place for school

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
      Yahoo! News - Home is no place for school
      When the writer says:
      "Attending school is an important element in the development of the "whole child." Schools, particularly public schools, are the one place where "all of the children of all of the people come together." Can there be anything more important to each child and thus to our democratic society than to develop virtues and values such as respect for others, the ability to communicate and collaborate and an openness to diversity and new ideas"

      What a marvellous picture of American society he paints! A society full of "whole human beings", all respecting each other, open, etc etc ad nauseum. And he is no doubt paid a good salary to perpetuate such blatant myths and lies. It is quite incredible! It is on a line with President Bush's speeches.

      Clive
    • NathanHerrmann01@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
        HOME IS NO PLACE FOR  SCHOOL ??????

        Every person should have his or her own dicision for his or her own child or children.

        And every other person should respect that !!

        What is so bad about schooling kids at home???

        'Cause the kids at home get more intention combined with love and security??

        'Cause the kids are away from danger in the schools and on the way to schools

          We are Germans and we have something interesting for you all.Education is an important matter in Germany, school attendance is compulsory for children. For this reason the school performance study released by PISA came as a shock to the nation. The German pupils results put them in the bottom third of the table.
          We have no choice as parents in such a country whether you like it or not we have to accept it and there we miss the home schooling where we  can give our own children better education.
          We have no time tables, no tests, no school buses, nothing for the kids' sake.Would you send your kids in such schools??? Would you like that if your kid is passing his /her examinations without any exams, year by year??
          Will you send your kid to such schools where the kids learn nothing??Will you be able to relax while your kid is at school as  mostly every day a kid is kidnapped or killed or raped??
        No, but most of the people put the responsibility in the hands of the schools and teachers instead of sitting down and spend hours to teach the kids.
          Months ago we went to the school to see how and what we should do for schooling our twins.
          We went there with our twins and the teacher came and said, so we would like to test the twins whether they fit in for the 1st grade or not.Our twins were very excited and said proudly," We know how to write in daily handwriting like the adults, in small letters and we know also already to count 2 digits and we have also science experiments already at home"
        The teacher looked at them and said, "No, you don't need all these in the 1st , 2nd and 3 rd grades,and come, I will show you what you need  to attend the 1st grade.
        The kids looked at them quite disappointed and asked"What do we need then"
           The teacher answered, "Nothing special, but just to be able to come with me without your parents""
           The kids said,"No!!, we are told not to go with any strangers!!"
           And the teacher said"Look, that was the test!!, you both didn't pass the test to attend the 1 st grade"
          Yes, That is all what you need!!! ????
                And see the resulu!!??
           And  look at the results of the countries where you have  compulsory schools.!!!

        n June 25 Education Minister Edelgard Bulmahn called for a national effort in response to the results of the PISA comparative study on schools. As an initial step she presented a government program aimed at promoting the introduction of all-day education at German schools.

        Reducing disadvantage in education as a result of differences in family background

        On the evening of June 25 the Standing Conference of state government ministers of education and cultural affairs presented the results of a national PISA study. The country-wide comparison of schools was aimed at uncovering deficits in the school systems of the various states. The national PISA study was commissioned after students at German schools ranked very low in the international study.

        Germany's own Leaning Tower of PISA" was a popular headline in German newspapers this week. The reference was not to an architectural discovery, but to the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), sponsored by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which tested 250,000 15-year-old students from 32 industrialized countries in a triennial survey of academic proficiency. Results released late last year showed that the 6,000 German students tested performed surprisingly poorly in reading and comprehension, math basics and natural sciences, placing Germany ahead of only Luxembourg, Mexico and Brazil.

        Germany's own Leaning Tower of PISA" was a popular headline in German newspapers this week. The reference was not to an architectural discovery, but to the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), sponsored by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which tested 250,000 15-year-old students from 32 industrialized countries in a triennial survey of academic proficiency. Results released late last year showed that the 6,000 German students tested performed surprisingly poorly in reading and comprehension, math basics and natural sciences, placing Germany ahead of only Luxembourg, Mexico and Brazil.

        U.S. Students Rank Among World's
        Best and Worst ReadersBy David J. Hoff Washington The United States scored in the middle on a new 32-nation study of educational achievement, experts say, because many of the best readers in the world live here-and many more of the worst. "The best students in the U.S. do as well as anyone in the world," said Barry McGaw, the deputy director for education for the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Paris-based group that conducted the survey of 15-year-olds' achievement. "What drags the U.S. average down is that there are lots of kids in the country doing poorly.

        But 18 percent of the U.S. test-takers scored at or below the lowest performance level in the exam-meaning they were unable to identify themes of reading assignments or locate basic information within a text. That percentage is the same as the international average, but more than twice as high as Finland's and Canada's- the countries that scored the best on the reading test.

        Finland scored the highest on the reading portion of the exam, with Canada and New Zealand also near the top and higher than the United States by statistically significant margins. The U.S. reading score was about the same as those of countries such as Belgium, Germany, and the Czech Republic, but statistically higher than those of Greece, Portugal, Luxembourg, Mexico, Russia, Latvia, and Brazil.

        Finland scored the highest on the reading portion of the exam, with Canada and New Zealand also near the top and higher than the United States by statistically significant margins. The U.S. reading score was about the same as those of countries such as Belgium, Germany, and the Czech Republic, but statistically higher than those of Greece, Portugal, Luxembourg, Mexico, Russia, Latvia, and Brazil.

        In mathematics and science, Japan and Korea ranked at the top, as those Asian nations often do on international assessments, while the United States scored in the middle, along with Ireland, Norway, and the Czech Republic.

        Middle School Slump?The PISA results are in line with the findings of previous international studies. The best schools in the United States are on a par with the highest-performing countries in the world, but the poor showing of a significant minority of American schools lowers the country's overall performance to the international mean.Last spring, results from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study-Repeat revealed that achievement in wealthy suburban schools is comparable with that of leading nations, but that U.S. inner city schools rank with the lowest-scoring countries.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
          Thank you for this posting Hermann. Tell me, do parents ever defy the authorities and keep their children at home?

          Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:45 AM
          Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] Yahoo! News Story - Home is no place for school

[...]

          This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

          To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

          If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

          There are associated web pages at:
          www.alternativeeducationindia.net

          Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
            Hello Clive,
              No, you can't defy the authorities and keep the kids at home as you can be in jail one day for that.

              Regards,
                  Pat and friedel
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
              But of course you can defy them. One may well go to jail for doing so.
              Has anyone, to your knowledge, done that?

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
                Oh, Clive, that's a long story.
                  Sure there were some who were against this policy.
                   But Germans are like  sheeps.
                We have no open opinions.We all follow what the first one does or did.
                  Even if it is wrong every one does what the other does, just to belong to the  others.
                    will tell you more about that one day
                    And we have had our first child in the school here and what she learnt in the school was less than half what the Asian kids at home learnt.
                  At home we all can adjust the level and concentrate on a child or two and give them patience which is not available in the public schools.
                  Sure, the kids need  social  communication, but  do we have to be in a socity to  become good adults?
                No one is sure about what is good and what is bad But every one know for sure that every person wants the best for his/her child/children.
                  And Every one should have his own opinion and should have  a chance to decide what he/ she thinks the best
                  And no one can ever say against home schooling as here are hte main points
                  1.kids get individual attention
                  2. parents learn again with the kids
                  3. parents have more time and patience than teachers with lots of  kids  ih the class romms
                  4.We can adjust the level and subjects
                And that is just  nonsence that kids need communication with other kids and so on.
                If so, we need to arrange play grounds and play centres and handicraft groups and not compulsory schools

                In the west and in the Industry countries, people have only one child and no brothers and sisters,and every family has to have 2 cars, 2 jobs and no time for the kids andso every one accept the compulsory schools whether they are good or bad and no one ever thinks the negative sides of the public schools.
                  And should not forget one!!! Most of the rich countries with public schools have lower education than those from poor countries and most of the kids from the public schools have very low level in every subject and that's also understandable.
                  To teach 30 kids   is more difficult than to teach one or two kids.
                  To concentrate on one kid is mnuch easier than on 30 kids.And I think these  are the main points!!!

                   But we should leave every person a chance for his/her own dicision.

                         Family Herrmann  from Germany