An Idea - Co-hosting Home-Educated Children

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 15, 2007

      An Idea - Co-hosting Home-Educated Children

      I have the germ of an idea. It may be ridiculous, but I will put it to the jury of the group.

      I know that some, if not many of the home-educators in India feel isolated. The times that gatherings have been arranged between some of you seem to have gone down very well.

      I know that a major concern for home-schooling parents, and perhaps children, is the lack of social contact for the children. Especially a lack of contact with similarly home-educated children.

      I know that India is a big country. And even when families live in the same big city, it can be no easy matter to arrange regular contact with each other, with traffic congestion, other commitments on one’s time, and so on.

      And created a group for children, which has not really taken off.

      Here is this germ of an idea to further social contact.

      Are there those among you with children who would be willing to take other children from this group and have them stay in your home for a time? Perhaps on a reciprocal arrangement? For how a long a time? By mutual agreement I suppose.

      In this way a network could be built up. If it got off the ground it would have many advantages – some I see at the moment are: giving children experience of different environments (including a town/countryside swap), relating to a more varied group of people, both adults and children, helping solve the problem of isolation, gaining new friends, new interests. And so on

      I am sure people will find “problems” with such a scheme. Perhaps we could examine them together. Or maybe there is no one interested? Cannot at the moment find an inspiring name for the scheme, any ideas? The technical details can be left until we see if there are people interested. The scheme could work with very few people in fact.

      Clive

    • rakeshbhartisharma
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 16, 2007
        --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Elwell" <clive.elwell@...> wrote:

        > An Idea - Co-hosting Home-Educated Children
        >

        > I have the germ of an idea. It may be ridiculous, but I will put it to the jury of the group.
        >

        > I know that some, if not many of the home-educators in India feel isolated. The times that gatherings have been arranged between some of you seem to have gone down very well.
        >

        > I know that a major concern for home-schooling parents, and perhaps children, is the lack of social contact for the children. Especially a lack of contact with similarly home-educated children.
        >

        > I know that India is a big country. And even when families live in the same big city, it can be no easy matter to arrange regular contact with each other, with traffic congestion, other commitments on one's time, and so on.

        > And created a group for children, which has not really taken off.
        >
        > Here is this germ of an idea to further social contact.
        >

        > Are there those among you with children who would be willing to take other children from this group and have them stay in your home for a time? Perhaps on a reciprocal arrangement? For how a long a time? By mutual agreement I suppose.
        >

        > In this way a network could be built up. If it got off the ground it would have many advantages - some I see at the moment are: giving children experience of different environments (including a town/countryside swap), relating to a more varied group of people, both adults and children, helping solve the problem of isolation, gaining new friends, new interests. And so on
        >

        > I am sure people will find "problems" with such a scheme. Perhaps we could examine them together. Or maybe there is no one interested? Cannot at the moment find an inspiring name for the scheme, any ideas? The technical details can be left until we see if there are people interested. The scheme could work with very few people in fact.
        >

        > Clive

        Nearly three years back this idea in this very form came into our mind. At that time we discussed this idea with a few people, whom we thought would respond positively. Though, nobody discouraged us but the idea got buried there itself as we new of no forum wherein this could be discussed.

        Clive has proposed it at a very right time. I have very recently joined the group and have been following the discussion from the outside ever since with a lot of interest. The proposal has all the pluses and there is no minus. Therefore the discussion needs to be centered around how to do it rather than why to do it.

        We are for this reciprocal arrangement. We live in Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. Our two sons Vibhu and Google are 8 and  3 respectively.

      • svani
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 16, 2007
          Dear Clive,
          It is a great idea, which is what we do here:) This has worked well for our family's/children's unique needs and accomodations. But I would go a bit further more on this one and say that it would be better for one homeschool family to visit the city or town of the other homeschooling family for a weekend (or however long the family can afford the time), and let the kids and the grown-ups get to know each other well, doing field trips or park times or game times together. And the host homeschool family can do the same at a different time, when convenient. This will eventually help in the kids making connections and then may be the children can be left without parents in one home. I personally would not be comfortable leaving my children in a homeschooling or any family without getting know them myself and letting that family interact and see the chemistry that it develops between the children. Ofcourse, this requires diligent following up to make it work long term. It requires efforts  from busy parents to keep it  growing, and encouragement in letting the kids interact through phone calls/emails/snail mails frequently inbetween meetings. My children make cards and send it to their friends, or send emails and chat over phone when convenient and this has helped their friendships grow. So, yes this will work:)
          Just my humble opinion...
          Svani

        • rakeshbhartisharma
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 16, 2007
            The greatest concern for any parent is child's physical and emotional
            security. No parents can afford to send their children to home of
            somebody whom they know superficially. Any such relation has to be
            based on long-term understanding between families. Face to face
            interaction between parents is crucial in this respect.
            Therefore a formal/organised structure for the alternative
            education/homeschooling set-up to get a lift in India. There is need
            for development of some certifying institution for homeschooling
            families, groups ; evolution of code of ethics , training for parents
            to prepare them for the task, financials etc. These are some of the
            issues, those need to be debated seriously.

            rakesh
          • Ashutosh Bhupatkar
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 17, 2007
              Rakesh's suggestion brings to my mind the countless times I have played and seen boys playing cricket at Cross Maidan in Mumbai and other grounds in Pune from my own boyhood days.

              On Saturdays and Sundays, there are at least two dozen invisible strips of pitches in action on a ground the size of a football ground and the ball is always in different fields of play.  Each pair of teams is too engrossed in their own game to pay much heed to what's happening on the adjoining pitch.  Sometimes the ball does hit a player in the other field, but it's usually a tennis ball.  There is a self organisation of sorts to the Maidan cricket.  They evolve their own unwritten code, structure and induction.

              I thought of all the things Rakesh has suggested: code of ethics, formal structure, training for parents etc.  If these were made applicable to Maidan Cricket, it would vanish, leaving only Club Cricket and League Cricket.  Already that has created TV Cricket: people who are experts at watching cricket on TV.

              I think there is a case for trusting the participants in their intent, discretion and judgement in the homeschooling exchange idea put forth by Clive.

              Regards

              Sincerely
              Ashutosh P Bhupatkar
              Gurgaon122002  INDIA
              O - 0124 4271537 cell +91 98184 75164

              There is more to life than increasing the speed. - Gandhi

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 17, 2007

                 the homeschooling exchange idea sounds a better name for the scheme than the one i dreamt up.

                of course it goes without saying parents would satisfy theselves about the safety aspects,

                The greatest concern for any parent is child's physical and emotional
                security. No parents can afford to send their children to home of
                somebody whom they know superficially. Any such relation has to be
                based on long-term understanding between families. Face to face
                interaction between parents is crucial in this respect.
                Therefore a formal/organised structure for the alternative
                education/homeschoo ling set-up to get a lift in India. There is need
                for development of some certifying institution for homeschooling
                families, groups ; evolution of code of ethics , training for parents
                to prepare them for the task, financials etc. These are some of the
                issues, those need to be debated seriously.

                rakesh

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Peregrine

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                    Hi Friends,

                    I don't think that the children will go and stay with
                    anybody just because it happens to be a home schooling
                    family. The first thing they are going to eveluate is
                    their comfort level with the people they are going to
                    stay with.

                    It also demands a lot of input from both the host and
                    the guest family. I don't see it happening any other
                    way except when the parents put in enough time and
                    energy to develop the relationships and know and trust
                    one another well enough for this kind of a venture to
                    take off.

                    There is always an unsaid code of conduct in all
                    relationships. The moment we try to formalize it, it
                    all becomes institutionalized and we go back to square
                    one.

                    An effort in this direction is already on. Vidhi
                    Bhandari and Manish with their daughter Kanku organise
                    many get togethers over the year. May be one can find
                    out more about it. One thing for sure I know is a lot
                    of thjings they do is totaly dependent on the faith
                    they have in humanity.

                    Just a thought.

                    Regards
                    Vineeta.

                    Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • jinan kodapully
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                      Friends
                      Please help locate anyone interested in working on a project with me.The details are given below.
                      Jinan

                      Enabling the young artisans to take forward their skills as a viable livelihood option.
                      Intitiating collaboration between the community and the artisans

                      Gist of the project
                       This is a two year project designed for enabling the young artisans to take forward their skills as a viable livelihood option by equipping them with necessary skills- entrepreneurship, communication, designing ability, functional computer and accounting ability etc and also providing them with few basic tools and equipments and linking them with relevant players.
                      The participants will be given exposure to the present interest among the urban population as well as role of craft in the coming ecologically sensitive era, modern ways of marketing, internet and web, importance of developing new designs, its potential in the building industry and tourism etc. They also will be taught basic computing, use of internet, email, digital camera etc. The whole process will be hands on. They will then in the final 6 months helped to establish a production centre in their respective villages, linking with financing institutions.

                      The most innovative aspect of the project would be to get all the necessary support monetary and other
                      expertise by making this in to a collaborative one. The two year long project would require at least  Rs 24
                      lakhs – stipend for the trainees, travel , stay, equipments like digital camera, computer, wheel etc.
                      The idea is to open up for interested people to collaborate  and make this in to a democratic and a co
                      learning process. Also making use of the connectivity the new technologies offer to link with as many people as possible. 2500 people putting in Rs 1000 is all what is required. lot of it can come in kind- donating camera, computer or hosting the trainees when they are visiting various cities. This is a major aspect of the project. They will travel to Delhi, Bombay, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad etc to get exposure.

                      The outcome of the project would be apart from the 12 youth who are trained in all aspects of the craft who will  in turn influence the villages from where they belong, there would be at least 600 new products, a well documented material which can act as a blue print for the other crafts- brass, bamboo. textile, stone  and a huge support base of dedicated customer collaborators.

                      The Job
                      Looking for somebody who can co ordinate  the project, willing to travel and document the process.

                      Qualification
                      Willingness to learn. Willing to travel and to put up with difficulties and with a creative and open out look

                      Do see the sites www.kumbham.in  and http://my.opera.com/enableartisan/blog/  for more details.
                      Contact me soon with biodata
                      Jinan

                      Jinan,
                      www.re-cognition.org
                      www.kumbham.in
                      http://my.opera.com/jinankb/albums/
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/terracotta_murals/sets/72157594503980465/
                      09447121544
                      0487 2386723

                    • Veena
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                        its a different idea & i feel it can be worked out slowly...the children getting used to an environment might take long depending on the age of the child... if the child is old enough then it is like the exchange program that rotary has... its basically for diff time periods ranging from 3 months to 1 year... a student is sent to a diff family and stays with the host family for the decided time... the exchange happens between two countries normally... there is an under taking signed by the hosts... its also agreed upon that the family that send a student should idealll agree to host another student

                        if there are many family who are willing to do this i think it could work out well... if need be i can get details on how it works thru my rotaract & rotary connections...

                        it does require a lot of efforts from the host family & yes safety is a concern... but again safety is a concern even when you send your child to a school or hostel or anywhere for that matter... you need to trust the fellow humans who have been communicating on this group with concerns of their child... again the trust factor varies from person to person... try & formulate a way that would make sure there is a safety std set... like mentioned earlier a code of conduct & rules etc

                        svani has been practicing it... so she could also help out in trying to work out stuff!

                        its a good idea especially for homeschooled kids as they would get a chance to socialise... it need not be a very long stay... could be like an excursion to begin with & then take it fwd from there... these are just my thoughts... there are many heads there who could improvise things!
                        do lemme know if i could be of help!

                         Your life is what you think its gonna be... so think about the best for you & the best will come to you!!

                      • svani
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Veena and others,

                           I have an appointment to make it to in a little while, so I try will be brief this time:) I would love to talk and share more as and when I see activity here. Pls feel free to write to me off or onlist.

                          One of families first of all, find a spot for a field trip, near your area or some way midway in the city. It could be an exhibition/museum/waterfalls/park. Send out an invite to the homeschooling community here, so the folks who live close by to you have a chance to make it to that event.  One of you take the initiative to have a monthly calendar and arrange events like this in your city for every 2 or 3 weeks and pls do make an effort to meet, on those specific days. If all could make it to those events, then fine. If some could make it, then that is fine as well. You need to break this inertia and get moving with this 'getting together' in a public space. Then eventually and naturally things all fall in place to have this exchange ideas of meeting each others in their homes. It is a natural event.

                          Some ideas for you all to get started.

                          You can have game nights or game days like chess, monopoly, carom and such. All families can pitch in for snacks and make it a fun potluck. Play frisbee or some other kind of outdoor fun.

                          It can be park days with some fun games like cricket, tennis, v ball etc. One of you can take the role of coaching the kids. All families volunteer and share the work in making it happen successfully. Older/mature kids can be leaders and mentors for younger kids.

                          A beading class/ arts/painting class can be arranged and a parent can lead this class. Have a fun outdoor activity after that. Don't expect all kids to be involved in the class. It is ok if they make a mess. Encourage their efforts. If they are not interested in it, that is fine as well. Just having some water colors and picking some dried leaves and rocks or cookie cutter shaped vegetables and making  prints on paper with those colors can be a wonderful art session. And then let them play after that, while grown ups catch up on things. No sessions should be more than 30mins-40mins unless there is interest in kids ofcourse. Remember the idea is for kids to have fun and it should be simple.

                          If there is a zoo, and there is a docent there who could talk about all animals to the kids, arrange one and invite families over for that.

                          You could also have once a month board game day and stick to that day for those board game activities and each family take turns in hosting it.

                          Create your own play/dances/music orchestra group and have it for events like NY or Diwali and such. We have a few homeschoolers who play violin, flute, piano and we gather to have some performances some evenings. They also perform their own compositions and they look forward to doing that. You can mimic something similar among your families. If grown ups are good at something, pls take an initiative to share that talent with other kids.

                          Is there a nurse in your family? Call her and ask her if she would like to talk about all that she does to the kids and let the kids open up for more discussions. Is there a cop, farmer, scientist, doctor, you can do the same with myriad other folks and occupations. We did that monthly theme and our own family doctor hosted our homeschool children and answered questions.

                          There is sooooo much you all can do. These are just some of the ideas. These are reasons to convene and then let the kids find their friendships after this short event or classes. Have plenty of play activities available. If once a particular child is not in the mood, do not despair or give up. It is like introducing new foods to babies. Not always we have 100percent success the first time. We try it at different times and it usually works eventually. Some children and families can take time to warm up and pls be patient and keep trying.

                          Once this is established you can have families with common aged children or common interest children to meet out of these meetings, inbetween these community meetings during the month. And convene again for the 2-3weekly meeting and keep it going.

                          You do not need to have many families to create a community. Just a couple can do wonders. Those couple of families need to be strong/committed and dedicated in meeting and you will see naturally many will follow you. I have seen this happen. It was only me who was doing all the work it seemed initially, but boy, was I wrong. People/ humans seek commonality and relationships and need a couple of leaders for some reason to lead and take initiative and show them, but later there is plenty more come to offer help and take it up from you and there is homeschool community happening right there. But please be patient and some one take it up and form a plan and post it and invite folks. And each of you take turns if need be.
                          Good luck. I cannot wait for this to happen. I would like to visit all of you when I can. I really wish I was back there. And pls always share your ups as well the downs here as I am sure we all can put our heads together to find solutions.
                          Svani

                        • kirstymilward
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                            This seems like a great idea to me with lots of potential. We would
                            be very happy to host children, preferably on an exchange basis, and
                            probably for short periods initially (perhaps a week??). We live near
                            Santiniketan. We'd also be prepared to do some legwork to build
                            relationships, but we are far away from most of you, so this is not
                            straightforward.

                            I think one of the problems is that homeschooling means different
                            things to different people, and we all live in a variety of places
                            and circumstances, and have different kinds of children at a mixture
                            of ages and stages. Svani has put some good ideas up for getting to
                            know each other slowly, but they mostly apply to people who are
                            living in the same city or at least nearby, - and this doesn't apply
                            to quite a few people on this list.

                            Would it be too bureaucratic to suggest making a form which could be
                            filled in by people willing to host or looking for a place to be
                            hosted, with a lot more detail than is on the contact list on this
                            site? This might help to facilitate a sort of shortlisting approach,
                            to what kind of situation might suit your particular children, what
                            might be a good place to start. Information could be around:
                            location,rural/urban, what form / style the homeschool takes, why are
                            you homeschooling, examples of what you are teaching / how the
                            children are learning, how long for, ages of children, their
                            particular interests, possible arrangements for hosted children,
                            other interesting things to do in the locality .... for example.

                            I would be willing to make a draft form and circulate it if anyone is
                            interested. If people are worried about putting up too much personal
                            information on the site, it could function as an email list, co-
                            ordinated by someone.

                            Does anyone think this method might work or be useful?

                            regards,
                            Kirsty

                            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Veena <veena0802@...> wrote:

                            > its a different idea & i feel it can be worked out slowly...the
                            children getting used to an environment might take long depending on
                            the age of the child... if the child is old enough then it is like
                            the exchange program that rotary has... its basically for diff time
                            periods ranging from 3 months to 1 year... a student is sent to a
                            diff family and stays with the host family for the decided time...
                            the exchange happens between two countries normally... there is an
                            under taking signed by the hosts... its also agreed upon that the
                            family that send a student should idealll agree to host another
                            student

                            > if there are many family who are willing to do this i think it
                            could work out well... if need be i can get details on how it works
                            thru my rotaract & rotary connections...

                            > it does require a lot of efforts from the host family & yes
                            safety is a concern... but again safety is a concern even when you
                            send your child to a school or hostel or anywhere for that matter...
                            you need to trust the fellow humans who have been communicating on
                            this group with concerns of their child... again the trust factor
                            varies from person to person... try & formulate a way that would make
                            sure there is a safety std set... like mentioned earlier a code of
                            conduct & rules etc

                            > svani has been practicing it... so she could also help out in
                            trying to work out stuff!

                            > its a good idea especially for homeschooled kids as they would
                            get a chance to socialise... it need not be a very long stay... could
                            be like an excursion to begin with & then take it fwd from there...
                            these are just my thoughts... there are many heads there who could
                            improvise things!

                            > do lemme know if i could be of help!
                            >

                            > Your life is what you think its gonna be... so think about the
                            best for you & the best will come to you!!

                            > ---------------------------------

                          • svani
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                              Kristy,
                              :) You bring valid points about homeschooling means different things to different people. Considering the distance you all seem to contend with for meetings, it does make sense to have a commonality match on families prior to meeting. But it may also make some folks feel left out, especially those who are  shy or still new to homeschooling, and still trying to get their feet wet, as they may be unsure of many things. But I am not convinced that all of you live far apart from everyone. I remember reading emails of some folks having meetings weekly or monthly on this list. Have they stopped meeting or stopped posting them, I am not sure. What works for one family may not work for other. Some may be fine to traveling and trying new things and some may not be willing. Unless all of you speak up and discuss on list, nothing can be planned. Kristy's ideas are also worthy of following up and it may be wonderful to try various things to make this work. How about just arranging a get together for people, kind of an excursion, over a weekend? It may require funds or places to stay and such. But it is a worthy shot and it does not have to something fancy. I think that is what some of the families here in Bombay did in the past, which I remember reading here. I think there is a place in Bangalore where there are homeschoolers or alternate education folks meet yearly????
                              One of the concerns I recall reading on this list is that, some families do not want a structured, tailored event or meeting. I may have misunderstood or misinterpreted it. But it is worth to try out various means to meet. And may be more folks here should contribute as to where they live and how far they can travel and about their life schedules and such...
                              Just that you all know, I do drive 8hrs each way, to meet with my children's special friends and they come here some months to meet with us. We spend the weekend in the host family. But it took prior meetings in a common public place for the kids and us to get to know each other better. It just happened to be a place like zoo and eventually it blossomed to some wonderful friendship between the children. And the other friends I drive to is 3hrs round trip in one single day, and I do this weekly. There is no public transportation to take advantage of here. And on an average we drive 60mins to get to anywhere. And some times by public transportation it doubles to these places. What I have come to realize is that there no pain, no gain:)
                              Wishing you all well,
                              Svani

                            • divyatate
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                                hi,
                                new tho i am to homeschooling, i did also think of something
                                similar...
                                i thought with the intertnet giving us access to the world... one
                                could build a network of homeschoolers accross teh globe, who could
                                enjoy homestays with homeshcoolers in diiferent countries, a much
                                more enlightening way to travel, and get insights into new cultures
                                and thinking in different parts of the world... alternative global
                                views!!!
                                of course i visualised this involving not just the kids but the
                                family. and it would be great within india itself given the cultural
                                diversity we enjoy!!

                                divya

                                <clive.elwell@...> wrote:

                                > An Idea - Co-hosting Home-Educated Children
                                >

                                > I have the germ of an idea. It may be ridiculous, but I will put
                                it to the jury of the group.

                                > I know that some, if not many of the home-educators in India feel
                                isolated. The times that gatherings have been arranged between some
                                of you seem to have gone down very well.

                                > I know that a major concern for home-schooling parents, and
                                perhaps children, is the lack of social contact for the children.
                                Especially a lack of contact with similarly home-educated children.

                                > I know that India is a big country. And even when families live in
                                the same big city, it can be no easy matter to arrange regular
                                contact with each other, with traffic congestion, other commitments
                                on one's time, and so on.

                                > So far to encourage social contact we have created a data base at:
                                method=reportRows&tbl=1