Re: [alt-ed-india] Forced to go for alternative schooling

  • nagini prasad
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 17, 2007
      Hi Aparna,

      My kids are in an alternative school, however I also feel that it may not "meet all the needs" of my children. Considering this, I am probably going to homeschool them from next year, to as you say, try to jointly create an environment that works for them and their various interests. I feel it may be a more difficult decision to homeschool if one's child is in an alternative school (easier/more justifiable perhaps to take them out of school if they are in a mainstream school), however, I feel the precise reason for making such a decision, is because all the "needs of the child" may not be met, even in an alternative school!

      I agree with you on this one...
      nagini

      On 17/09/2007, aparna pallavi <aparna_pallavi@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone!

      Recently, I was completely stumped when I met a man who wanted to know why, since I had taken my daughter out of the mainstream education system, had I not bothered to find an alternative school for her. This person had been connected with a Krishnamurti-trust school in Pune, and appeared to feel that alternative schooling was a must to meet 'all the needs of a child' -- or at least what he called all the needs. He even asked me if I was confident that I, at my level was meeting 'all the needs' of my child.

      I had contacted this school at one time and found that the fees were exorbitant -- well beyond the means of any middle-class Indian. Also, the school was residential and till date I get the feeling that my daughter is not prepared for that sort of thing. But this gentleman appeared to feel that I was depriving my daughter of something very vital by not sending her to an alternative school.

      I do not really know how to answer that sort of an argument. Personally I feel education is a process that is beyond the ambit of any school, alternative or not. Education is not about creating or finding a ready-made environment that 'meets all the needs of a child' ---  but teaching the child to reach out to the world -- to life itself, and meet its own needs. I could not answer this gentleman's arguments and could not make this person see that I may not agree with the needs of the child as defined by an alternative school, or that I and my daughter may prefer to create our own environment rather than take one made by someone else. Am I compelled to go for alternative schooling the moment I reject mainstream schooling?

      Would someone like to discuss this with me?

      Aparna

      "You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." - Franklin P. Jones
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 17, 2007
        Dear Aparna,

        Is there any real need to provide an answer to all arguments? Cunning thought, with its use of clever comparison, can prove just about anything. Politicians are very expert at this, as are all those who make a profession out of  manipulating people. We need to be able to see for ourselves what is true and what is false.

        I would be very suspicious of an educator who claimed he was "meeting all the needs of a child". Such a claim indicates a lack of questioning, insufficient enquiry into education and understanding oneself.

        Speaking generally, not specifically, any school can claim the label "alternative". It means very little, and parents need to investigate a school very closely, and ask many questions of the staff before committing their children to it.. A school worth its salt will welcome such enquiry.

        Best Wishes

        Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 AM
        Subject: [alt-ed-india] Forced to go for alternative schooling

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • pnr762004
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 17, 2007
          Hi Santhi
          If you are living near bandra reclamation there is a wonderful school
          called rishikul vidyalaya run by MET and Mr Manoj Lekhi.
          Check their website out.
          http://www.met.edu/Institutes/RIV/mrv_home.asp.

          Regards
          prabha
          --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "santhikrishnant"
          <santhi.thakur@...> wrote:

          > Dear Friends,
          >
          > I am a new member to this group, and have been reading through
          quite
          > a number of the mails which have a wealth of information !
          >
          > Let me introduce myself first..I am Santhi, and have a two year old
          > daughter, Kritika. We live in Mumbai. Both me and my husband are
          > working.
          >
          > Both of us believe that each child has immense potential, and the
          > schooling that happens these days do not seem to nurture children,
          > Rather it looks to fit them all into certain silos. All along the
          > years, this completely stresses out the children & their parents
          and
          > makes the most enjoyable time of the child's life filled with
          > terrible fear and stress.
          >
          > We dont want to put our child through this, and hence I have joined
          > this group to understand whether such options exist. I can see that
          > a lot of you have taken the bold step of homeschooling your
          > children, and it is so commendable.
          >
          > As a first step, I wanted to know whether there are really any
          > schools / group in Mumbai, which goes by alternative education
          > practices or is homeschooling the only option ?
          >
          > Some one had mentioned to me about Tridha, a Waldorf school in
          > Mumbai, though I am yet to find out about them.
          >
          > Any help and opinion is really appreciated,
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Santhi

        • aparna pallavi
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 18, 2007
            Hi Nagini,

            Thanks a lot for your reply. I agree with you that if you are in an alternative school the decision to unschool may be even more difficult. Can you talk in some more detail about your decision and the reasons for it? I would really like to understand what you have said.

            Aparna

            On 17/09/2007, aparna pallavi <aparna_pallavi@ yahoo.co. in> wrote:
[...]

          • anu and krishna
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 18, 2007
              Dear Aparna,

              we did take our son too out of an alternative school to homeschool ! We have written about it in detail in a separate posting today in this group introducing ourselves.

              best wishes
              anu and krishna
              Anuradha and Krishna
              ______________________________________
              THULIR
              Sittlingi
              Theerthamalai P.O.,  Dharmapuri Dt.,
              Tamil Nadu -- 636906
              INDIA
              _______________________________________

              ph 0 4346 299043
              _______________________________________

              www.thulir.org
              http://newsfromthulir.blogspot.com/

              aparna pallavi wrote:
[...]

              Truncated!
              This message exceeded the Maximum Message Size set in Account Settings, so we have only downloaded the first few lines from the mail server.

              Click here to download the rest of the message.

            • mahavir bos
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 18, 2007
                Dear clive

                I agree with you sir when you say  "We need to be able to see for ourselves what is true and what is false".
                Its very difficult to generalise an enviroment conducive for total growth of a child.also term 'alternative' used by the school is also according to insititue's own classification of the same.every child is different,so it cannot be same for all types.
                i find healthy communication with children at home is best when they are treated par like us and not differentiate them as a child.They express themselves wonderfully to different situations and guide us accordingly.
                mahavir

                Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 AM

[...]

                Forgot the famous last words? Access your message archive online. Click here.

              • santhikrishnant
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 19, 2007
                  Dear Prabha,

                  Thank you so much for your response.

                  We are currently staying at Andheri. However, I just checked out the
                  link you have provided. I am planning to visit them, if that is
                  allowed shortly.

                  Do you or your children have any experience of the environment at
                  MET Rishikul ?

                  Best regards
                  Santhi

                  --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "pnr762004" <pnr762004@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Santhi
                  > If you are living near bandra reclamation there is a wonderful
                  school
                  > called rishikul vidyalaya run by MET and Mr Manoj Lekhi.
                  > Check their website out.
                  > http://www.met.edu/Institutes/RIV/mrv_home.asp.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > prabha
                  > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "santhikrishnant"
                  > <santhi.thakur@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear Friends,
                  > >
                  > > I am a new member to this group, and have been reading through
                  > quite
                  > > a number of the mails which have a wealth of information !
                  > >
                  > > Let me introduce myself first..I am Santhi, and have a two year
                  old
                  > > daughter, Kritika. We live in Mumbai. Both me and my husband are
                  > > working.
                  > >
                  > > Both of us believe that each child has immense potential, and
                  the
                  > > schooling that happens these days do not seem to nurture
                  children,
                  > > Rather it looks to fit them all into certain silos. All along
                  the
                  > > years, this completely stresses out the children & their parents
                  > and
                  > > makes the most enjoyable time of the child's life filled with
                  > > terrible fear and stress.
                  > >
                  > > We dont want to put our child through this, and hence I have
                  joined
                  > > this group to understand whether such options exist. I can see
                  that
                  > > a lot of you have taken the bold step of homeschooling your
                  > > children, and it is so commendable.
                  > >
                  > > As a first step, I wanted to know whether there are really any
                  > > schools / group in Mumbai, which goes by alternative education
                  > > practices or is homeschooling the only option ?
                  > >
                  > > Some one had mentioned to me about Tridha, a Waldorf school in
                  > > Mumbai, though I am yet to find out about them.
                  > >
                  > > Any help and opinion is really appreciated,
                  > >
                  > > Best wishes,
                  > > Santhi

                • pnr762004
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 19, 2007
                    Hi Santhi

                    My daudhter Nitika who is 4 years old has been attending this
                    multiactivity class "OGC" for the past 2 years conducted by Adhaar in
                    Chembur who is a franchisee for Rishikul Vidyalaya.She nevers say no
                    to going to OGC and always comes home with a grin on her face.So i
                    guess they are doing something right.

                    I had visited the RKV school in Bandra and had met some of the
                    children who were in 3rd and 4 th grade.They seemed so happy and
                    infact two of them actually showed me around.

                    Also I had attended the parenting course ISP-Infant Siddha Program
                    (Art of Parenting) conducted by RKV in January.The course in itself
                    is a wonderful experience.

                    However since the number of seats open for admission is limited we
                    could not get Nitika in for Junior KG.I plan to apply again the
                    coming year.

                    All the best

                    Regards
                    prabha
                  • Suman KB
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 8, 2007
                       Dear Aparna,
                        Our life will be the expression of  ourselves. Expression of what we feel what we think or what we have seen.As we are limited that limitation will be there in whatever we do. There is nothing to be worried about that.But we have the right
                      to do what we feel as true at present.
                       When we take a stand which is not conventional there will be a lot of protests.
                      People gets offened by just hearing that  you are not sending the child to school.They will say that you will be spoiling their life for your ideals.And they are helping their children in the most anti social way.Here one is assuming responsibility.And they are givig responsibility to the pressent sructure of society which is really monastrous.
                      When we take a path which we feel as right with total responsibility there is no succes or failure in that.If we have the right spirit  and feeling   the thing will go on.There may be set backs.But the real intention the real concern and love will find some way. But there will have to be constant learning.The fact that we are not able to break somebodies arguments doesn't mean that they are right.
                      But we must not be influenced into alternate ways.We must have some clarity.
                      Too boring?
                      Regards

[...]

                      Meet people who discuss and share your passions. Join them now.