Re: [alt-ed-india] Homeschooling in Chennai anyone?

  • PVgm
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
      Yes there are.
      May we know who is speaking.
      Philjy

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: rkn1123
      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 10:18 AM
      Subject: [alt-ed-india] Homeschooling in Chennai anyone?

      Hello,

      We just relocated to Chennai and I have two sons ages, 14 and 9. I am
      in the process of exploring the homeschooling option for my children.I
      would like to know if there is a homeschooling network in Chennai and
      what are some of the experiences of such families. I look forward to
      hearing from someone.

    • Thara Visvanathan
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        My name is Thara. I look forward to hearing back.
        Thanks.
        Thara

        On 9/1/07, PVgm <philjy@...> wrote:

        Yes there are.
        May we know who is speaking.
        Philjy

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
          Thank you Ms. Thara,
          Wonderful response from you.
          I am quire new to the group. I have seen some good interactions taking place. Why dont you resent your mail with your name once again. I am sure someone more experienced from Chennai will respond to you. I am in Chennai, I have been looking for alternative eduction system thats how I came to contact with the group. Keep pressing on, I am sure you will get the right reply soon.
          Where do you live by the way? We are in Mugappair area.
          Regards,
          Philjy

          My name is Thara. I look forward to hearing back.
          Thanks.
          Thara

          On 9/1/07, PVgm <philjy@gmail. com> wrote:

          Yes there are.
          May we know who is speaking.
          Philjy

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "PVgm" <philjy@...> wrote:
            >Philjy,

            What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
            Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
            more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
            currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?

            Thara
            > Yes there are.
            > May we know who is speaking.
            > Philjy

          • PVgm
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
              exploration stage.
              But I am a little doubtful about the future of these children as to social abilities. Let us findout. Our problem is a learning disability. see if you can : www.joashk.blogspot.com
              Philjy

              What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
              Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
              more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
              currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?

              Thara
              > Yes there are.
              > May we know who is speaking.
              > Philjy

            • Sangeetha Sriram
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                Hi Thara & Philjy,

                I am from Chennai. My husband and I are among the first ten to join
                the group in 2002, but never posted a message till date! :) We have
                been following the growth of the group, its membership and the depth
                of discussions over a long period of time. Well, I actually joined
                this group as one among the many many yahoo-groups I used to be part
                of, but today this is one of the handful that I still read diligently.
                Thanks to Clive (and the active others) for keeping it so alive.

                Though we don't have children yet, my husband and I have both been
                very interested in spiritual parenting, and exploring options of life
                education outside the defines of the school or any institution. We
                have visited many initiatives in both the US (where we used to live)
                and India.

                Another friend of mine who lives in Adyar is looking for similar
                options for her three-year-old daughter. Please look up the database
                on this group, and call me sometime. And enter your details for the
                reference of others as well. Let's meet up.

                Regards,
                Sangeetha

                --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "rkn1123" <tharavn@...> wrote:

                > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "PVgm" <philjy@> wrote:
                > >Philjy,
                >
                > What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
                > Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
                > more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
                > currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?
                >
                > Thara
                > > Yes there are.
                > > May we know who is speaking.
                > > Philjy

              • rkn1123
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                  --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Sangeetha Sriram"
                  <sriram.sangeetha@...> wrote:
                  >Hi Sangeetha,

                  Thanks for responding. I am exploring homeschooling options mainly for
                  my 9th grader. We just relocated from the US and schools in Chennai
                  are rather strict about their admission guidelines for admitting a
                  student this late in the school year and especially in the 9th grade.
                  I am also unhappy about the class sizes. I am really interested in
                  getting more information from somebody who is actually homeschooling a
                  9th grader in Chennai. I know that this is a rather tall order, but I
                  hope somebody will respond.

                  Thara

                • PVgm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Hi Thara & Sangeetha,
                    Loving greetings.
                    I am glad that Thara had responded to this. Thank you sister.
                    Our son is dyslexic and we are still struggling with his schooling. I am not sure if homeschooling can help at the moment or we can handle home schooling for him ourselves. In case you are interested read through..
                    Last week I got another quick assessment done for him while considering some options.
                    According the experts assesment, " He has super level of  intelligence". He has terrible difficulties with regards to certain phonems while reading which leads him to  a lot of guess work when he has to read something. Some had suggested us to look for opportunities outside the country. We are trying to get him into the National Open School stream and seeking additional remediation. Here is some information about him from the previous report. see www.joashk.blogspot.com
                    Keep us posted in case you have some wisdom/ experience which may be helpful to us.
                    Regards,
                    Philjy philjy@...

                    I am from Chennai. My husband and I are among the first ten to join
                    the group in 2002, but never posted a message till date! :) We have
                    been following the growth of the group, its membership and the depth
                    of discussions over a long period of time. Well, I actually joined
                    this group as one among the many many yahoo-groups I used to be part
                    of, but today this is one of the handful that I still read diligently.
                    Thanks to Clive (and the active others) for keeping it so alive.

                    Though we don't have children yet, my husband and I have both been
                    very interested in spiritual parenting, and exploring options of life
                    education outside the defines of the school or any institution. We
                    have visited many initiatives in both the US (where we used to live)
                    and India.

                    Another friend of mine who lives in Adyar is looking for similar
                    options for her three-year-old daughter. Please look up the database
                    on this group, and call me sometime. And enter your details for the
                    reference of others as well. Let's meet up.

                    Regards,
                    Sangeetha

                    --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "rkn1123" <tharavn@... > wrote:

                    > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "PVgm" <philjy@> wrote:
                    > >Philjy,
                    >
                    > What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
                    > Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
                    > more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
                    > currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?
                    >
                    > Thara
                    > > Yes there are.
                    > > May we know who is speaking.
                    > > Philjy

                  • nagini prasad
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Hi Philjy
                      Perhaps you could try Headstart school in south Chennai. http://www.headstartschool.org/
                      The founder is Mrs. Sudha Mahesh and I believe they encourage and want children of all backgrounds and abilities.

                      nagini
                      bangalore