Homeschooling in Chennai anyone?

  • rkn1123
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hello,

      We just relocated to Chennai and I have two sons ages, 14 and 9. I am
      in the process of exploring the homeschooling option for my children.I
      would like to know if there is a homeschooling network in Chennai and
      what are some of the experiences of such families. I look forward to
      hearing from someone.
    • PVgm
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        Yes there are.
        May we know who is speaking.
        Philjy

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
          My name is Thara. I look forward to hearing back.
          Thanks.
          Thara

          On 9/1/07, PVgm <philjy@...> wrote:

          Yes there are.
          May we know who is speaking.
          Philjy

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
            Thank you Ms. Thara,
            Wonderful response from you.
            I am quire new to the group. I have seen some good interactions taking place. Why dont you resent your mail with your name once again. I am sure someone more experienced from Chennai will respond to you. I am in Chennai, I have been looking for alternative eduction system thats how I came to contact with the group. Keep pressing on, I am sure you will get the right reply soon.
            Where do you live by the way? We are in Mugappair area.
            Regards,
            Philjy

            My name is Thara. I look forward to hearing back.
            Thanks.
            Thara

            On 9/1/07, PVgm <philjy@gmail. com> wrote:

            Yes there are.
            May we know who is speaking.
            Philjy

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
              --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "PVgm" <philjy@...> wrote:
              >Philjy,

              What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
              Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
              more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
              currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?

              Thara
              > Yes there are.
              > May we know who is speaking.
              > Philjy

            • PVgm
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
                exploration stage.
                But I am a little doubtful about the future of these children as to social abilities. Let us findout. Our problem is a learning disability. see if you can : www.joashk.blogspot.com
                Philjy

                What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
                Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
                more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
                currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?

                Thara
                > Yes there are.
                > May we know who is speaking.
                > Philjy

              • Sangeetha Sriram
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Hi Thara & Philjy,

                  I am from Chennai. My husband and I are among the first ten to join
                  the group in 2002, but never posted a message till date! :) We have
                  been following the growth of the group, its membership and the depth
                  of discussions over a long period of time. Well, I actually joined
                  this group as one among the many many yahoo-groups I used to be part
                  of, but today this is one of the handful that I still read diligently.
                  Thanks to Clive (and the active others) for keeping it so alive.

                  Though we don't have children yet, my husband and I have both been
                  very interested in spiritual parenting, and exploring options of life
                  education outside the defines of the school or any institution. We
                  have visited many initiatives in both the US (where we used to live)
                  and India.

                  Another friend of mine who lives in Adyar is looking for similar
                  options for her three-year-old daughter. Please look up the database
                  on this group, and call me sometime. And enter your details for the
                  reference of others as well. Let's meet up.

                  Regards,
                  Sangeetha

                  --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "rkn1123" <tharavn@...> wrote:

                  > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "PVgm" <philjy@> wrote:
                  > >Philjy,
                  >
                  > What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
                  > Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
                  > more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
                  > currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?
                  >
                  > Thara
                  > > Yes there are.
                  > > May we know who is speaking.
                  > > Philjy

                • rkn1123
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                    --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Sangeetha Sriram"
                    <sriram.sangeetha@...> wrote:
                    >Hi Sangeetha,

                    Thanks for responding. I am exploring homeschooling options mainly for
                    my 9th grader. We just relocated from the US and schools in Chennai
                    are rather strict about their admission guidelines for admitting a
                    student this late in the school year and especially in the 9th grade.
                    I am also unhappy about the class sizes. I am really interested in
                    getting more information from somebody who is actually homeschooling a
                    9th grader in Chennai. I know that this is a rather tall order, but I
                    hope somebody will respond.

                    Thara

                  • PVgm
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Hi Thara & Sangeetha,
                      Loving greetings.
                      I am glad that Thara had responded to this. Thank you sister.
                      Our son is dyslexic and we are still struggling with his schooling. I am not sure if homeschooling can help at the moment or we can handle home schooling for him ourselves. In case you are interested read through..
                      Last week I got another quick assessment done for him while considering some options.
                      According the experts assesment, " He has super level of  intelligence". He has terrible difficulties with regards to certain phonems while reading which leads him to  a lot of guess work when he has to read something. Some had suggested us to look for opportunities outside the country. We are trying to get him into the National Open School stream and seeking additional remediation. Here is some information about him from the previous report. see www.joashk.blogspot.com
                      Keep us posted in case you have some wisdom/ experience which may be helpful to us.
                      Regards,
                      Philjy philjy@...

                      I am from Chennai. My husband and I are among the first ten to join
                      the group in 2002, but never posted a message till date! :) We have
                      been following the growth of the group, its membership and the depth
                      of discussions over a long period of time. Well, I actually joined
                      this group as one among the many many yahoo-groups I used to be part
                      of, but today this is one of the handful that I still read diligently.
                      Thanks to Clive (and the active others) for keeping it so alive.

                      Though we don't have children yet, my husband and I have both been
                      very interested in spiritual parenting, and exploring options of life
                      education outside the defines of the school or any institution. We
                      have visited many initiatives in both the US (where we used to live)
                      and India.

                      Another friend of mine who lives in Adyar is looking for similar
                      options for her three-year-old daughter. Please look up the database
                      on this group, and call me sometime. And enter your details for the
                      reference of others as well. Let's meet up.

                      Regards,
                      Sangeetha

                      --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "rkn1123" <tharavn@... > wrote:

                      > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "PVgm" <philjy@> wrote:
                      > >Philjy,
                      >
                      > What are your experiences with homeschooling in Chennai? I live in
                      > Adyar. Is there a homeschooling network in town from where I can get
                      > more information from? How old is/are your child/children? Are you
                      > currently homeschooling or are you in the exploration stage?
                      >
                      > Thara
                      > > Yes there are.
                      > > May we know who is speaking.
                      > > Philjy

                    • nagini prasad
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 3, 2007
                        Hi Philjy
                        Perhaps you could try Headstart school in south Chennai. http://www.headstartschool.org/
                        The founder is Mrs. Sudha Mahesh and I believe they encourage and want children of all backgrounds and abilities.

                        nagini
                        bangalore