our first FAQ! (Ashok and Shefali)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2007

      Hey, here is our first FAQ to consider together!

      The question has been asked before, but let us take a fresh look at it.

      Is Home-educating a legal option in India?

      As far as  I know it is a legal option. Or perhaps better to say, as I know of no clause written into a law which states it is a legal option, that "it is not illegal". One is not legally obliged to send one's children to school. And one is not responsible to any authorities for what one is doing at home.

      However, this is basically guess work on my part. What do others say? And definitive knowledge? Has anyone researched this question?

      Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:50 AM
      Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] the simplicity of learning

      Dear Clive,
      We are the parent of a 7 years old home schooled kid from Gujarat . He himself able to read and write both the languages “Gujarati” and “English”. He can do math also very well. His command on computer is also very good. One thing is very important, he do all the activities himself willingly. My kid is very happy with this natural learning. Presently we do not follow ant specific curriculum. Before few days there was a survey done by some government body under “Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan”. Now they have record our kid is not going to formal school. Can they force us to send our kid to formal school ? We don’t want to send our kid to formal school and want to develop our kid by natural learning. We are very much happy with home schooling. We need support from our group.
      Ashok & Shefali

      Clive Elwell <clive.elwell@ gmail.com> wrote:
      Yes, I feel what is described here is very very important, as it applies to ALL learning.

      Of course children want to learn, what could be more natural? They take a delight in it - as long as it is not forced on them, as long as it is not stuffed down their throats. As long as there is no threat of punishment hanging over them if they don't learn. As long as what they learn is not constantly being measured, graded. As long as their learning is not compared to the learning of others. As long as there is a perception a child should learn particular things by particular ages.

      And as long as schools don't realise these simple facts, and other simple facts, it will be necessary to take the education of our children into our own hands.

      Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 6:58 AM
      Subject: [alt-ed-india] Re: Home schooling in Bangalore

      Hi ,
      Seeing that we're on the topic of teaching less, I felt I'd just tell
      our group members what I noticed recently...

      My son -who just turned 3.5- started recognising lowercase letters
      through starfall.com some months back, has started writing the
      capitals on paper. He taught himself to do that. He started with the
      easier letter 'o' then moved on to ;etters 'M'and 'A' and during the
      process of writing 'M' , he discovered that an incomplete 'M' looked
      like 'N'. He also writes lowercase letters on his own. This made me
      happier and more content with my decision to take him out of pre-
      school after his 1st month.Does a child learn to write better if
      forced to write on dotted letters, especially when he is not ready? I
      dont think so!I just give him unruled A4 size sheets of paper and he
      fills them up( both sides)with letters and best of all, he enjoys
      it!:))

      Regards,
      Sumbul

      --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
      <eswar.rad@. ..> wrote:

      > Hi Sangita,
      >
      > Thanks! I see what you mean when you say children can learn by
      themselves and its best if we "teach" less...How beautifully
      everything will direct itself then! Cannot wait to try and see the
      results myself!

      > warm regards
      > radha

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.