Re: [alt-ed-india] Home schooling in Bangalore

  • Causmic Dance
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1 1:02 AM
      Hi -

      We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7. After
      experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
      Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.

      I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do alternative
      schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking at US
      Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling resources
      (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on the
      strengths of the local community that we live in.

      We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS for
      religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
      Bangalore that does un-schooling.

      Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious networking
      happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
      traffic to content with :-)

      If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let us know.

      warmly
      Meena and Ramji

      On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@...> wrote:

      > Hello Friends,
      > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
      > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it realy
      > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going to 2 nd
      > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school currently. For
      > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to know if
      > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if they are
      > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do parents
      > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are available
      > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
      > assitance is greatly appreciated.
      > Thank you

    • Ashok Prajapati
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 5 3:58 AM
        Hi meena,

        Will you please write me back about "Waldorf home schooling resources" ?

        Ashok

        On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > Hello Friends,
        > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
        > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it realy
        > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going to 2 nd
        > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school currently. For
        > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to know if
        > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if they are
        > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do parents
        > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are available
        > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
        > assitance is greatly appreciated.
        > Thank you

      • Causmic Dance
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 6 8:04 AM
          Hi Ashok,

          Need more clarity around this - did u want the actual resources or
          were u trying to find out more about what 'Waldorf home schooling
          resources' meant?

          warmly
          Ramji

          On 2/5/07, Ashok Prajapati <mirasho@...> wrote:

          > Hi meena,
          >
          > Will you please write me back about "Waldorf home schooling resources" ?
          >
          > Ashok
          >

          > Causmic Dance <causmicdance@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hi -
          >
          > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7. After
          > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
          > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
          >
          > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do alternative
          > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking at US
          > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling resources
          > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on the
          > strengths of the local community that we live in.
          >
          > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS for
          > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
          > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
          >
          > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious networking
          > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
          > traffic to content with :-)
          >
          > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let us know.
          >
          > warmly
          > Meena and Ramji
          >
          > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello Friends,
          > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
          > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it realy
          > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going to 2 nd
          > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school currently. For
          > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to know if
          > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if they are
          > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do parents
          > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are available
          > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
          > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
          > > Thank you
          > >

          > ________________________________
          > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

        • Ashok Prajapati
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 9 3:26 AM
            Hi Ramji,

            Yes Yes, you are right. Do you know about it ? Please give me more details about it.

            On 2/5/07, Ashok Prajapati <mirasho@yahoo. co.in> wrote:

            > Hi meena,
            >
            > Will you please write me back about "Waldorf home schooling resources" ?
            >
            > Ashok
            >

            > Causmic Dance <causmicdance@ gmail.com> wrote:
            >

            > Hi -
            >
            > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7. After
            > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
            > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
            >
            > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do alternative
            > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking at US
            > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling resources
            > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on the
            > strengths of the local community that we live in.
            >
            > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS for
            > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
            > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
            >
            > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious networking
            > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
            > traffic to content with :-)
            >
            > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let us know.
            >
            > warmly
            > Meena and Ramji
            >
            > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@yahoo. com> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello Friends,
            > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
            > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it realy
            > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going to 2 nd
            > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school currently. For
            > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to know if
            > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if they are
            > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do parents
            > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are available
            > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
            > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
            > > Thank you
            > >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __
            > Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

          • Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 14 9:15 PM
              Hi Ramji,

              Can u send the same details to my id also ?? Please...

              Rama

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 15 10:34 PM
                Ashok, Rama and anyone else interested,

                Have uploaded all my waldorf related bookmarks to del.icio.us and u
                should be able to access the same using the following url -

                http://del.icio.us/causmicdance/waldorf

                warmly,
                Ramji

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 19 5:02 AM
                  Hi all,

                  Could any of you suggest me some magazine names for my kids (8yrs & 3 yrs)...

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Regards,
                  Rama

                • Sathish Kumar
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
                    Hi,

                    We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                    East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                    homeschoolers in Bangalore.

                    Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                    Warm regards,
                    --
                    Sathish and Sangeetha.

                    --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Causmic Dance"
                    <causmicdance@...> wrote:

                    > Hi -
                    >
                    > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7. After
                    > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                    > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                    >
                    > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do alternative
                    > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking at US
                    > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling resources
                    > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on the
                    > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                    >
                    > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS for
                    > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                    > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                    >
                    > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious networking
                    > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                    > traffic to content with :-)
                    >
                    > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                    us know.

                    > warmly
                    > Meena and Ramji
                    >
                    > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hello Friends,
                    > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                    > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it realy
                    > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going to 2 nd
                    > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school currently. For
                    > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to know if
                    > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if they are
                    > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do parents
                    > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are available
                    > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                    > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                    > > Thank you

                  • sumbul_k_a
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Hi,
                      We stay in the Banaswadi area in East Bangalore almost midway between
                      Frazer Town and Indira Nagar. We have a 3 and half yr olf boy who we
                      plan to homeschool using the Unschooling method largely and
                      incorporating the Montessori, Waldorf or eclectic methods.
                      Would like to get in touch with other homeschooling fam,ilies in the
                      area.

                      Regards
                      Sum

                      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Sathish Kumar" <webardo@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                      > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                      > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                      >
                      > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                      > Warm regards,
                      > --
                      > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                      >
                      > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Causmic Dance"
                      > <causmicdance@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi -
                      > >
                      > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                      After
                      > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                      > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                      > >
                      > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                      alternative
                      > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                      at US
                      > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                      resources
                      > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                      the
                      > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                      > >
                      > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                      for
                      > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                      > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                      > >
                      > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                      networking
                      > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                      > > traffic to content with :-)
                      > >
                      > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                      > us know.
                      > >
                      > > warmly
                      > > Meena and Ramji
                      > >
                      > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hello Friends,
                      > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                      > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                      realy
                      > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                      to 2 nd
                      > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                      currently. For
                      > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                      know if
                      > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                      they are
                      > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                      parents
                      > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                      available
                      > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                      > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                      > > > Thank you

                    • Vasuraj
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Message
                        Hi Sum, Sathish and Sangeetha,

                        We too live in Banaswadi Ext. area (Thyagaraj Layout), very close to Purva Park. We are homeschooling our three children aged 16 1/2, 15 and 10. Nice to know others too around here who are homeschooling as well.

                        Regards,
                        Sangita Vasuraj

                        wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                        > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                        > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                        >
                        > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                        > Warm regards,
                        > --
                        > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                        >
                        > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Causmic Dance"
                        > <causmicdance@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi -
                        > >
                        > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                        After
                        > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                        > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                        > >
                        > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                        alternative
                        > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                        at US
                        > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                        resources
                        > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                        the
                        > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                        > >
                        > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                        for
                        > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                        > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                        > >
                        > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                        networking
                        > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                        > > traffic to content with :-)
                        > >
                        > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                        > us know.
                        > >
                        > > warmly
                        > > Meena and Ramji
                        > >
                        > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hello Friends,
                        > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                        > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                        realy
                        > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                        to 2 nd
                        > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                        currently. For
                        > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                        know if
                        > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                        they are
                        > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                        parents
                        > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                        available
                        > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                        > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                        > > > Thank you

                      • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                          Dear Sangita,

                          We are planning to shift to Coimbatore this June but are in Bangalore now. We are going to homeschool our kids once we reach Coimbatore. I have a son who is 15 years of age. Would love to know about your experiences in enabling your children as they all seem to be older kids. If you think this will be possible only face to face, I would love to meet you too. If an introductory mail can be sent by you and maybe by Vineeta who seems to be another parent who enables older children, it would be a lovely resource for the group. Others who have older children could also chip in as can parents with more than three children too...Questions like how can you learn together with 3-4 different keen minds of differing ages without compromising on anyone anytime...such questions do need to be tackled correcctly. I am going to try some things which I shall post on a mail as and when I carry out my plans. But if there are others, it would be lovely to learn about their experiences too. I find most home schoolers have younger children. They will get older soon and it would be a nice stepping stone for the parents when their children get to the 14-16 stage.

                          warm regards
                          Radha

                          wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                          > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                          > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                          >
                          > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                          > Warm regards,
                          > --
                          > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                          >
                          > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Causmic Dance"
                          > <causmicdance@ > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi -
                          > >
                          > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                          After
                          > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                          > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                          > >
                          > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                          alternative
                          > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                          at US
                          > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                          resources
                          > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                          the
                          > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                          > >
                          > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                          for
                          > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                          > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                          > >
                          > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                          networking
                          > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                          > > traffic to content with :-)
                          > >
                          > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                          > us know.
                          > >
                          > > warmly
                          > > Meena and Ramji
                          > >
                          > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Hello Friends,
                          > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                          > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                          realy
                          > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                          to 2 nd
                          > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                          currently. For
                          > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                          know if
                          > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                          they are
                          > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                          parents
                          > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                          available
                          > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                          > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                          > > > Thank you

                        • Vasuraj
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
                            Message
                            Hi Radha,

                            If you go through some of the old posts (more than a year old) you will come across mails that share our experiences. I had written a whole lot about it and also about curriculum resources and information.

                            wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                            > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                            > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                            >
                            > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                            > Warm regards,
                            > --
                            > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                            >
                            > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Causmic Dance"
                            > <causmicdance@ > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi -
                            > >
                            > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                            After
                            > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                            > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                            > >
                            > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                            alternative
                            > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                            at US
                            > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                            resources
                            > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                            the
                            > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                            > >
                            > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                            for
                            > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                            > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                            > >
                            > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                            networking
                            > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                            > > traffic to content with :-)
                            > >
                            > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                            > us know.
                            > >
                            > > warmly
                            > > Meena and Ramji
                            > >
                            > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Hello Friends,
                            > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                            > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                            realy
                            > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                            to 2 nd
                            > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                            currently. For
                            > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                            know if
                            > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                            they are
                            > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                            parents
                            > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                            available
                            > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                            > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                            > > > Thank you

                          • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
                              Hi Sangita,

                              Thanks! I see what you mean when you say children can learn by themselves and its best if we "teach" less...How beautifully everything will direct itself then! Cannot wait to try and see the results myself!

                              wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                              > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                              > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                              >
                              > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                              > Warm regards,
                              > --
                              > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                              >
                              > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Causmic Dance"
                              > <causmicdance@ > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi -
                              > >
                              > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                              After
                              > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                              > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                              > >
                              > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                              alternative
                              > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                              at US
                              > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                              resources
                              > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                              the
                              > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                              > >
                              > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                              for
                              > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                              > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                              > >
                              > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                              networking
                              > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                              > > traffic to content with :-)
                              > >
                              > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                              > us know.
                              > >
                              > > warmly
                              > > Meena and Ramji
                              > >
                              > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Hello Friends,
                              > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                              > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                              realy
                              > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                              to 2 nd
                              > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                              currently. For
                              > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                              know if
                              > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                              they are
                              > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                              parents
                              > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                              available
                              > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                              > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                              > > > Thank you

                            • Venit IITPL
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
                                Hi

                                How do you mange Home Schooling?

                                Are parents doing home schooling in Gurgaon? If yes please connect at +91 9811336739

                                Regards
                                Venit

                                wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > We homeschool our 8yr old daughter and 4yr old son in Frazer town,
                                > East Bangalore and would be very happy to get to know the other
                                > homeschoolers in Bangalore.
                                >
                                > Our home number is 41277112. Looking forward to meeting up.
                                > Warm regards,
                                > --
                                > Sathish and Sangeetha.
                                >
                                > --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, "Causmic Dance"
                                > <causmicdance@ > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi -
                                > >
                                > > We live in S Bangalore (BTM Layout) & HS our daughter, age 7.
                                After
                                > > experiencing Bhavya for a couple of years and a brief stint at The
                                > > Valley School, we decided HS is what works best for us.
                                > >
                                > > I am not aware of many families doing HS here - many do
                                alternative
                                > > schooling, but not HS. We follow an eclectic approach - looking
                                at US
                                > > Grade curriculum, the Indian System, Waldorf home schooling
                                resources
                                > > (of which there are plenty on the web) and of course, feeding on
                                the
                                > > strengths of the local community that we live in.
                                > >
                                > > We do have a HS group (with almost 20 kids) next door, who do HS
                                for
                                > > religious reasons. We are also friends with another family in N
                                > > Bangalore that does un-schooling.
                                > >
                                > > Due to the limited numbers, I am not aware of any serious
                                networking
                                > > happening on the HS parents' front. And then you have Bangalore's
                                > > traffic to content with :-)
                                > >
                                > > If you are interested, we could meet and exchange thoughts. Do let
                                > us know.
                                > >
                                > > warmly
                                > > Meena and Ramji
                                > >
                                > > On 1/30/07, vedam00 <vedam00@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > Hello Friends,
                                > > > i just joined this group today, we moved to Bangalore
                                > > > from Naperville, ILL, US about 2 yrs ago and we are finding it
                                realy
                                > > > hard to make a good choice for my 7 yr old, who will be going
                                to 2 nd
                                > > > grade. He has been going to a small montessorie school
                                currently. For
                                > > > next year we are considering home schooling. I would like to
                                know if
                                > > > there are parents who are homeschooling in Bangalore and if
                                they are
                                > > > than what is it like educating a child at home in India ?. Do
                                parents
                                > > > and children meet regularly ? What kind of resources are
                                available
                                > > > here in Bangalore ? We live in Defense colony Indiaranagar. Any
                                > > > assitance is greatly appreciated.
                                > > > Thank you

                              • Satish Natarajan
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  We plan to meet on Sunday the 11th March at our farm
                                  on Kanakapura Road about 25Kms away from Jayanagar.
                                  We have confirmation from 4 families with 8 children.
                                  (Arun and Kanti, Ramji and Meena, Satish and Sangitha
                                  and Self and Akila). We invite others from Bangalore
                                  to join us. We could go on a short trek to a small
                                  hill nearby.

                                  Depending on the response we can plan activities.

                                  Request Home Schoolers from Bangalore to join us and
                                  take this forward.

                                  Regards
                                  Satish and Akila

                                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    Please do count me in for the next meeting if one can be planned for the month of April. Unfortunately tied down with doing chores for shifting to Coimbatore and Achyu's 10th exams! Would be good to learn about how it went and if a meet is being planned for the month of April too.

                                    Warm regards
                                    Radha

                                    We plan to meet on Sunday the 11th March at our farm
                                    on Kanakapura Road about 25Kms away from Jayanagar.
                                    We have confirmation from 4 families with 8 children.
                                    (Arun and Kanti, Ramji and Meena, Satish and Sangitha
                                    and Self and Akila). We invite others from Bangalore
                                    to join us. We could go on a short trek to a small
                                    hill nearby.

                                    Depending on the response we can plan activities.

                                    Request Home Schoolers from Bangalore to join us and
                                    take this forward.

                                    Regards
                                    Satish and Akila

                                    8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                    http://tools. search.yahoo. com/shortcuts/ #news

                                  • Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 5, 2007
                                      Satish,

                                      Please give us the time, directions and landmarks to come to ur farm.
                                      We too would love to join u all in one place.

                                      Regards,
                                      Rams, Rama, Arun (8+) & Arjun (3+)

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 6, 2007
                                        Hi ,
                                        Seeing that we're on the topic of teaching less, I felt I'd just tell
                                        our group members what I noticed recently...

                                        My son -who just turned 3.5- started recognising lowercase letters
                                        through starfall.com some months back, has started writing the
                                        capitals on paper. He taught himself to do that. He started with the
                                        easier letter 'o' then moved on to ;etters 'M'and 'A' and during the
                                        process of writing 'M' , he discovered that an incomplete 'M' looked
                                        like 'N'. He also writes lowercase letters on his own. This made me
                                        happier and more content with my decision to take him out of pre-
                                        school after his 1st month.Does a child learn to write better if
                                        forced to write on dotted letters, especially when he is not ready? I
                                        dont think so!I just give him unruled A4 size sheets of paper and he
                                        fills them up( both sides)with letters and best of all, he enjoys
                                        it!:))

                                        Regards,
                                        Sumbul

                                        --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
                                        <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Sangita,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks! I see what you mean when you say children can learn by
                                        themselves and its best if we "teach" less...How beautifully
                                        everything will direct itself then! Cannot wait to try and see the
                                        results myself!

                                        > warm regards
                                        > radha

                                      • Kanti Ratna
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                          Dear Friends,

                                          The coordination for the Bangalore meet has been happening outside this forum. And exciting things have been happening.

                                          At last count there are 15 adults and 12 children meeting at Satish Natarajan's farm on sunday the 11th.

                                          This is turning out to be a big thing. We are there in Bangalore for this meet but we are sure that we would have caught the overnight train from Thrissur for this. We request everyone who can drive down/ or catch an overnight train/ or catch a 1 Rupee Air Deccan ticket/ to try to attend this. We are seeing in this the starting of the Indian National Homeschoolers Association.

                                          With great joy in our hearts and with love to all of you,
                                          Kanti and Arun

                                          Satish Natarajan <satish_en@yahoo. com> wrote:
                                          We plan to meet on Sunday the 11th March at our farm
                                          on Kanakapura Road about 25Kms away from Jayanagar.
                                          We have confirmation from 4 families with 8 children.
                                          (Arun and Kanti, Ramji and Meena, Satish and Sangitha
                                          and Self and Akila). We invite others from Bangalore
                                          to join us. We could go on a short trek to a small
                                          hill nearby.

                                          Depending on the response we can plan activities.

                                          Request Home Schoolers from Bangalore to join us and
                                          take this forward.

                                          Regards
                                          Satish and Akila

                                          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                                          http://tools. search.yahoo. com/shortcuts/ #news

                                          TV dinner still cooling?

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                            Silent at this news.

                                            Some sort of report for the rest of the group would be greatly appreciated. Sure this would have been forth-coming anyway.

                                            Then who knows where things will go from there.

                                            Wishing you all the best with the gathering.

                                            deeply moved

                                            Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:30 PM

                                            Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian <nrama75@yahoo. co.in> wrote:

[...]

                                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                          • latha pc
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 8, 2007
                                              Hello everyone,

                                              I am not a 'formal' homeschooler; my almost five year old goes to preschool,
                                              as a single mother my work outside is also a financial imperative as much as
                                              I enjoy my career. However, my schedule flexibility (I am a professor in
                                              Cleveland, USA and will be moving to Michigan in Fall) allows me to let him
                                              skip most of the organized formal stuff and use the place more for social
                                              support. I believe in homeschooling, in fact, my son also says that he
                                              learns more with me at home than in school. We do a lot of google and
                                              wikipedia, read, draw. For instance, this winter, he got really interested
                                              in igloos and we learnt a lot about igloos, eskimos, seasons, made an igloo
                                              in our backyard, he drew an igloo with both of us etc. He also loves to
                                              illustrate and dictate his own stories, he is not all that keen on writing
                                              per se, but I don't push him either. If it were remotely possible
                                              logistically, I would be a formal homeschooler. I am really excited to hear
                                              about the development in homeschooling in India and it is heartwarming to
                                              hear your stories, plans for meeting etc. I will be in India in summer
                                              (Chennai, Bangalore and Coimbatore) and would love to meet up with any of
                                              you and your children who may be available.

                                              Enjoy your event,

                                              Latha

[...]

                                              08/03/2007 10:58

                                            • Vineeta Sood
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 9, 2007
                                                Hi Satish

                                                I would really like to be a part of the meet. I know it is late know and would like to know if it is possible to include any more menbers now. If yes, then please let me know your contact number and directions.

                                                Thnk you and best wishes.
                                                Vineeta.