Re: [alt-ed-india] Re: help - stressed out (er.. stretched out) !

  • Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi
      My kids go to Poorna Learning Centre only...  they r also moving very soon to Yelehanka area to their own land...  But, from your place, it is too far really...
      Rama

      BharatSanghvi <bharatsanghvi@...> wrote:
      We live in Basavanagudi (Gandhi Bazaar) - close to the heart of the
      city and not too far from Jayanagar.
      I would like to meet other home schoolers too.
      I visited CFL a few months back. My best friend's cousin is a teacher
      there. They do not take in children below 6 years of age. The road to
      CFL (Magadi road) is not for a daily commute, unless you like rattling
      your bones!

      I am interested in visiting Bhavya. I had made contact with Vineeta
      regarding this, but I have just not been able to find time to visit it.

      We are considering shifting our office and home so they are (a) within
      walking distance from each other (b) far away from the maddening
      crowd. I have never been to Sahakara Nagar. Would like to take a look.

      We have also purchased a flat in Mantri Tranquil on Kanakapura road
      (may be ready by Feb 2008). So an office on Kanakapura road might be
      ideal.

      Bharat

      --- In alt-ed-india@ yahoogroups. com, Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian
      <nrama75@... > wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Where in Blore are you living ? I am desparate to meet Blore based
      HS parents/kids to share experience.. .

      > We live in Sahakara Nagar, North Blore... My husband is a Renewable
      Energy Engineer & my kids - elder son (8+) & younger son (3+) go to
      Poorna Learning Centre... School is 10min walk from home... Still I
      want to be in touch with all the Home Schooling parents...

      > More later,
      >
      > Loving,
      > Rama
      >
      > BharatSanghvi <bharatsanghvi@ ...> wrote:
      Hello all,

> [...]
      > by going out of the home, she gets hers right at home!). Our children
      > are two tornadoes, for which we love them even more. But that's taking
      > its toll on us.
      > The daughter is 3 and half years old, and the son is 1 and a half
      > years old. While we let them be kids and occasionally work with them
      > on reading and writing and reciting alphabets (Kannada and English)
      > and poems, we do need to constantly watch them for safety sake. We are
      > having a tough time finding enough time to be with the kids and still
      > do our work and manage the house as well as get some rest.
      > My daughter, who went to a very creative play school for a year,
      > misses that and wants to go to back to that `school'. We need to
      > provide a creative outlet for our children to alleviate their boredom
      > (I did read one of the posts on this group about how boredom can
      > sometimes be good!). My daughter no longer wants to paint when there
      > is nothing to do, we let her watch a few cartoons and some dance and
      > music programs on TV. But she wants to watch more cartoons, then gets
      > bored with that also. Moreover, she refuses to read and write with my
      > wife and wants me to be the one to read to her and show her how to
      > write. (it's probably the sounds I make while reading and acting the
      > parts).
      > We had a maid that the kids loved, who watched the kids, took them out
      > to buy milk, took them out to play with the neighbours kids, my wife
      > and her would walk the kids to the park. With the maid gone, my wife
      > cannot handle that alone. We have tried to get a new maid through some
      > services without any success. To add to the problem, my wife not being
      > a Bangalorean, cannot speak Kannada. And having an outsourcing
      > business, I work late nights and early mornings.
      >
      > What we are looking for, are ideas how to solve this without "sending
      > the kids to school" just to get a break and "teach them discipline" –
      > as my relatives advise me! Not surprisingly, this solution makes sense
      > to most working couples.
      >
      > A partial solution would be to find a Montessori trained teacher to
      > work with the children for 3 hours (we have a room reserved for the
      > children) – just for a few months until I find my own replacement in
      > my office and lead a semi-retired life.
      >
      > BTW, my daughter has taught me a good lesson – when I tell her to
      > cleanup after she spills something or to put back her toys, sometimes,
      > she does not listen. But when I tell her "let us both clean up" and
      > help her, she is very eager to do it, and the little son also pitches
      > in! I then just hold the bag and they both put the toys in the bag.
      > This "working together" part works in married life also, and has
      > motivated my employees too.
      >
      > Bharat
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo! Answers India
      > Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version

      Regards,

      Rama

    • Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        Thank you very much for your invitation...

        Will definitely meet...

        Are you x-poorna learning centre parent ???

        Sametime, you can also visit us oneday...

        Rama

        .com> wrote:
        Hi Rama,

        We also live in Bangalore and shuttle between our farm
        on Kanakapura Road and Jayanagar. We homeschooled our
        kids for a while. Now they are in CFL. We can meet
        sometime at our farm, please do come.

        Regards
        Satish
        --- Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian <nrama75@yahoo. co.in>

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice. yahoo.com

        Regards,

        Rama

      • Sanshal Mathew
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
          Dear Satish and Dear all

          My son about 7.5 yrs goes to Akshara, a Montessori School in Yelhanka.  I would like to meet parents who are either homeschooling or into alternate schooling. I live in Indiranagar. Please let me know if this is possible. Mallika

          On 12/1/06, Ramalakshmi Nagasubramanian <nrama75@...

          wrote:

> [...]
          > own replacement in
          > my office and lead a semi-retired life.
          >
          > BTW, my daughter has taught me a good lesson – when
          > I tell her to
          > cleanup after she spills something or to put back
          > her toys, sometimes,
          > she does not listen. But when I tell her "let us
          > both clean up" and
          > help her, she is very eager to do it, and the
          > little son also pitches
          > in! I then just hold the bag and they both put the
          > toys in the bag.
          > This "working together" part works in married life
          > also, and has
          > motivated my employees too.
          >
          > Bharat
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Find out what India is talking about on - Yahoo!
          > Answers India
          > Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo!

        • SUSAN SANDIVAGORE
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2006
            hi everyone,
            havnt talked to you for long time thiugh i have been keeping updtated about
            the events.
            i am looking for some articles in science for my 12 year old neice, on
            science and liturature. if anyone can send the some useful sites i would
            really appriciate it. or any useful website where i can teach her more not
            just how to survive but to live happy life.

            thank you
            bijesh

            friends module.
          • Neha Wadhwani
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
              hi bijesh
              u can go thru this website www.bbc.co.uk/schools.from there u can go 2 scinece .hope it is useful 2 u
              neha

              SUSAN SANDIVAGORE <callsusan@...> wrote:
              hi everyone,
              havnt talked to you for long time thiugh i have been keeping updtated about
              the events.
              i am looking for some articles in science for my 12 year old neice, on
              science and liturature. if anyone can send the some useful sites i would
              really appriciate it. or any useful website where i can teach her more not
              just how to survive but to live happy life.

              thank you
              bijesh

              friends module.
              http://clk.atdmt. com/MSN/go/ msnnkwsp00700000 01msn/direct/ 01/?href= http://spaces. live.com/ spacesapi. aspx?wx_action= create&wx_ url=/friends. aspx&mk

            • Nandan Shastri
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2006
                Perhaps, the information given below may be useful to you,

                Skip to main contentText Only version of this page
                Access keys help
                bbc.co.uk
                TV
                Radio
                Talk
                Where I Live
                A-Z Index

                Accessibility help
                Text only
                WW2 - People's War

                BBC Homepage
                BBC History
                WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site Print this page

                Contact Us

                Like this page?
                Send it to a friend!

                About this site
                You are browsing in:
                About This Site > Project History

                How the site worked: Content areas

                The site was divided into three main areas: Contribute, Read and Research. A fourth area was important for each user: the Personal Page, which acted like the user's personalised homepage to the site.
                Contribute
                These pages explained how to make a contribution, contained the form people filled in when submitting a story, and help pages with information on how to sign in, scan photographs, etc. The Contribute functions were switched off at the end of January 2006.
                Read
                The main Read page was the gateway to thousands of stories categorised into one or more of 195 main categories (64 main themed categories, with most of the rest made up of British regions and countries around the world). Most of these categories are still present in the archive.
                Research
                These pages contained information on how to research a family's wartime history by contacting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, obtaining service records and other official information, and interpreting World War Two artefacts. This information was not retained in the archive, because it was felt it would date very quickly.
                This section also contained the Research Desks, where people could ask questions about the war, and other users of the site would answer them. The Research Desks were not retained in the archive.
                Personal Page
                Each registered user of the site had a Personal Page which contained links to all contributions that user had made to the site - stories, questions and forums - and where other users could leave personal messages. The user's Personal Page could be accessed with one click from any other page on the site, and have been included on this archive site.

                Schools

                From September 2004 to June 2005, one new lesson plan was added to the site each month. The plans were devised by a former history teacher, and aimed at helping teachers of History, English, Religious Education, Citizenship and Media Studies to plan lessons using WW2 content. All of these lesson plans are available in the archive.
                The Schools area of the site also featured information on how children of all ages can learn about the war by 'adopting a veteran', and gave information on interviewing techniques and running inter-generational events at schools. Many schools held open days for former pupils and older members of the community around the anniversaries of the end of the war in 2005.
                Some of the schools that took part in the project were:

                WW2 Site Helpers and other community activity

                About 50 people on the site have the words WW2 Site Helper added to their names. These people were volunteers who took a very active role on the site, helping people who had difficulty using the site, answering family history queries, and leaving comments on other people's stories. Many of them came to the website every day to meet friends and read stories, and they all made an extremely valuable contribution to the site.
                Any registered user could leave comments in the forums on any story, and they often did: complimenting the author, questioning or confirming the facts, adding their own memories. All of these forums have been retained in the archive.
                Search the archive
                Search by keyword, author, article ID
                Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced.

                About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy