Re: [alt-ed-india] Re: Does anyone on this list know anything about this?

  • Rajesh Lele
    Message 1 of 7 , May 20, 2006
      Hello all,

      This is indeed an eye opener. I have been an advocate of NOS for as long as I have been on the group and this was done without knowledge of these misdeeds.

      However, it is likely that these are occurances at specific locations. I know of people who have taken these exams at Mumbai and have not faced such situations.

      Also, I don't think this rot is limited to NOS only. I have heard and experienced cases of paper leaks and exam venue malpractices in state and central level exams as well.

      Overall, it is good that the governemnt is cleaning up its act.

      Re Vedant's query on why are marks compared to ICSE and CBSE, well, that is because the curriculum is expected to be at this level.

      Would you say that if a CBSE centre is caught in such a situation, that the marks should not be treated comparatively with ICSE and NOS?

      --
      Warm Regards

      Rajesh Lele

      On 5/19/06, Vedant <vedant.lath@...> wrote:
      If all this happens, why the marks are compared to those of ICSE and CBSE?

      but thanks for opening my eyes. i had thought NIOS was good.

      --
      Vedant Lath

    • Vedant
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2006
        first, this isn't rot. one should respect the posts in this group. and then NDTV was in this - so it can be surely thought of as trustworthy.

        ----- this may be out of context, if so ignore this -----
        just the curriculum doesn't matter. i have been fortunate enough to read Surely you are joking, Mr. Feynman where the nobel laureate Mr. Feynman describes some of his experiences in Brazil. He says that though students were reading and scoring good marks, they were not understanding science (perhaps this is only limited to science - but it can be for all subjects). I am copying a very short part of the book here:
        Then  I  gave  the  analogy of  a Greek scholar  who  loves  the  Greek language,  who knows  that in  his  own country there  aren't  many children studying Greek. But he comes to another country, where  he  is  delighted to find  everybody studying Greek -- even the smaller  kids  in the  elementary schools. He goes to  the examination of  a student who is coming  to get his degree  in  Greek,  and   asks  him,  "What  were  Socrates'  ideas  on  the relationship between Truth  and Beauty?"  -- and  the  student can't answer. Then he asks  the  student, "What did  Socrates say  to Plato  in  the Third Symposium?" the student lights up and goes, "Brrrrrrrrr-up"  -- he tells you everything, word for word, that Socrates said, in beautiful Greek.

        But what Socrates was talking  about  in the  Third  Symposium  was the relationship between Truth and Beauty!

        What this  Greek scholar discovers  is, the students in another country learn Greek by first learning to pronounce the letters,  then the words, and then sentences and paragraphs. They can recite, word for word, what Socrates said, without  realizing that those Greek words actually mean  something. To the student they are all  artificial sounds. Nobody has ever translated them into words the students can understand.
        So a student can memorize everything without really understanding what it it. Perhaps this is a similar situation of education in India. I gave the ICSE examination this year, so many things are fresh in my mind. I am giving an example of my maths class at school. The teacher rarely deviated from following this pattern:
                1. Greet class.
                2. Ask if there were any questions from the previous class' homework.
                3. If so, work out the problem in question on the chalkboard.
                4. Repeat step 3 as needed.
                5. Announce the pages in the textbook from which the next problem set would be derived.
                6. Perform a sample problem from the new problem set.
                7. Ask if anyone has any questions.
                8. Give a large number of problems as homework. (She prescribed a very large book - which contained a LOT of problems.)
                9. Class over.
        She sometimes explained the concept, but only enough for solving the problems; she did explain the whole concept. Chemistry class was also similar to this one, only there are theories rather than problem sets. I never understood what the chemistry teacher was teaching without looking into the book. Biology was slightly different. The pattern:
                1. Greet class.
                2. Say the name of the chapter he was going to study, or if he was going to continue the same chapter taught in the previous class.
                3. Start giving notes.
                4. Stop giving notes.
                5. Occasionaly ask if there were doubts.
                6. If so, clear them.
                7. Repeat step 6 as needed.
                8. Class over.
        We never read the notes. Everyone preferred a book. That's where the main problem came in which very few students knew. The 2 most popular books are Concise Biology by H. S. Vishnoi and the other one by Anita Prasad. The book by Anita Prasad did not cover the curriculum fully and had MANY MANY things that were not needed. What happened was many students thought the extra material could come in the exams and read that too, thereby wasting their precious time. Concise Biology covered the syllabus fully but still there were many extra materials but comparatively less than that of Anita Prasad's book.
        But physics was very different. Though my physics teacher gave notes, he explained everything clearly. The biology teacher very rarely explained something we understood. My physics teacher required a book only for numericals. We never needed to look into the book except for numericals.
        So this is how students are taught in the school. Though the curriculum maybe same, teaching matters a lot.
        ----- out of context part ends -----

        Mr. Rajesh:
        If one CBSE centre was caught, I wouldn't think much. There are perhaps many hundreds of centres where cheating does occur. Even in my school, few students cheat in the ICSE examinations. But they are very limited. And luckily, the good students don't want to help cheating - so the cheater wastes more time and therefore more marks than he gains.
        But as I understand, the original post implies that many and perhaps most centres of NOS have vigorous cheating. That, of course, makes a bad impression for the student and may be a factor in job enrollments.

        On 5/20/06, Rajesh Lele <rajesh.lele@... > wrote:
> [...]

        > long overdue.
        >
        > Allotted a classroom all to herself one person was caught copying answers
        > for her Economics exam. Caught red-handed her revelation shocked everyone.
        >
        > "Sir, I am a teacher. Let me go," she said. She was not lying. She was a
        > teacher and was busy copying answers for a student.
        >
        > There is another side to the story, that of honest students who are
        > frustrated with what they see and hear. They say they deserve a fair system
        > and a decent education which is why they signed up for open school in the
        > first place.
        >
        > What is especially disturbing is that open school students compete with ICSE
        > and CBSE students for college admissions. So their cheating which leads to
        > high marks affects the lives of thousands of other students. So the open
        > school system is failing both those within it and those outside it.

        This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

        To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

        If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

        There are associated web pages at:
        www.alternativeeducationindia.net

        Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

        Alternative education School education Alternative education high school
        Alternative education middle school Alternative education schools Alternative education schools

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        Vedant Lath
        vedant.lath@...
        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2006
          Vedant,

          I was not being disrespectful when I used the word rot. I meant it in the context of "decay" and not trash, rubbish or useless.

          My statement should be interpreted as

          Also, I don't think this rot [decay, drop in standards] is limited to NOS only. I have heard and experienced cases of paper leaks and exam venue malpractices in state and central level exams as well.

          I trust that clarifies and I do apologise for this confusion.

          --
          Warm Regards

          Rajesh Lele

          On 5/20/06, Vedant <vedant.lath@...> wrote:
          first, this isn't rot. one should respect the posts in this group. and then NDTV was in this - so it can be surely thought of as trustworthy.

          -----

        • Vedant

            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2006
              Hi friends

              Every time, whenever something is exposed, there are reactions and counter reactions. Then, after sometime we all forget about it and go on with usual business in our lives. This whole thing about cheating is very disturbing indeed. But at the same time cheating is not only confined to NIOS. A few years ago there was such a report about the exams conducted by a central board. The exams being rescheduled and reconducted on account of leakage of question papers is of such common occurence today.

              Having said this, I would request you not to read it as if I am saying that since it happens everywhere, it is ok to be happening in NIOS. The concept behind NIOS is very beautiful and progressive. However, due to the vices we human beings bring into it, the whole thing is at the risk of being tarnished. My son appeared for his X grade exams this year in Bangalore. There was no such thing happening in his center. However I am disturbed and concerned after this report on cheating has come out.

              Here, I feel instead of making a decision in our heads about how useless NIOS is, if we can take up the cause and keep writing to the NIOS and the media about the need to clean up the whole system and persuing it with a lot of persistence, we might be able to bring about some worthwhile change in the system. I am already planning to write to NIOS but a letter from one or two individauls can just fall flat. If many people take it up collectively or individually around the same time, write  to the authorities over and over again without despairing, we might get some results.

              Alongwith the issue of cheating, NIOS has also have to tighten up on administrative front. Again instead of deciding in my head that NIOS is no good because of these problems, I would like to take it up with NIOS. I am sure institutions which at one point preffered NIOS system must have written and persued it with them. But now, there are many more people who are taking a plunge into home schooling and heavily depend upon systems like NIOS. If all of us take a step, it might help.

              Regards
              Vineeta.

              uh, ok. doesn't matter much.