Re: [alt-ed-india] Urgent Help Required!

  • Suvro Chatterjee
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
      Dear Shashwat,
      Both you and your brother have my earnest sympathy and good wishes. Unfortunately, having been a teacher for 25 years and a parent for 10, I can assure you that without a warm, healthy, encouraging and rightly-motivated home environment, your brother's condition will merely go from bad to worse. If that kind of envirnonment simply cannot be provided at home, putting him into some well-reputed boarding school will be your next best bet. At his age, your brother, I think, is not beyond redemption.
      Love and luck...
      Suvro Chatterjee, Durgapur, West Bengal

      shashlist <shashlist@...> wrote:
      Dear All...

      I am located in Mumbai, I am completely at my wits end and require
      some advice from you. I have a younger brother, aged 14 (though he
      does look even a bit older than 8). He has flunked in the 5th
      standard again. He cannot cope up with normal studies, and neither is
      he mentally challenged. Autistic maybe, but then his mental growth is
      bit on the slower side a well.

      I attribute it all to the emotional turbulence he has undergone at a
      very young and tender age, my parents had a very acrimonious
      separation some 6-7 years back, since then the poor guy has been
      shunted hither-thither. First to small school in Mumbai, then a
      boarding school in Deolali (Barnes) and now another school in Mumbai.
      In spite of his age, he is not unable to cope up with the pressures,
      we have tried everything, tutions, etc. This time when he flunked he
      was completely inconsolable.

      There is another complication, he resides with my father, I stay
      somewhere else with my wife and so do my sisters. He has become a
      loner, sitting at home all the time, watching television and is
      obsessed with spiderman...

      I am looking for an alternative education for him, it could be
      anything that does not emphasise too much on rote learning. Can you
      all please suggest some schools nearby, which could be of help. I was
      hunting even for vedic schools, I am not able to give him time and
      feel very guilty about it. Please suggest something. As the
      information available on the net can be too confusing and daunting.

      Do forgive my lengthy rant, but I thought a perspective of the
      problem was very essential.

      I would eagerly await a mail of advise form you all,

      thanks in advance
      Shashwat D.C.

    • Ms Tasqeen Macchiwalla
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2006
        dear shashwat

        you could check out sahyadri school (kfi) or nalanda
        in mumbai. not sure where it is located though.

        peace

        tasqeen

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sonali Marwaha
        Message 3 of 10 , May 15, 2006
           Dear Shashwat:

          I suggest you take your brother to a competent psychologist for an assessment of his problem, whether it is a developmental and/or emotional disorder. Based on their assessment they will be able to guide you to the most effective means of dealing with the situation. Searching for alternative education before a professional assessment is definitely not the right approach for starters.

          You could contact

          Farrokh Buchia,
          Director,
          Counseling and Suicide Prevention Center
          Chowpatty, Bombay

          He can be contacted at:   farrokhbuchia@...

          Sincerely,
          Dr Sonali Bhatt Marwaha
          Psychologist
          Visakhapatnam

> [...]
          > questions, to learn together, to share, and to
          > support those who are home educating.
          >

          > If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn
          > more about the Alternative Education in India group,
          > and view the archives, by visiting:
          >
          > To start sending messages to members of the group,
          > simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > If you do not wish to belong to
          > home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending
          > an email to:
          >
          > There are associated web pages at:
          > www.alternativeeducationindia.net
          >
          > Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local
          > contact groups data base, which is to enable members
          > of the group to make personal contact with others
          > who live nearby.

          >         Alternative education   School education
          > Alternative education high school     Alternative
          > education middle school   Alternative education

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • rekha narula
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15, 2006
            --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Ms Tasqeen Macchiwalla
            <tasqeenm@...> wrote:
            >Dear Shashwat,
            further to Tasqeens msg Nalanda Institute is in Byculla tel
            no;23021493 and the other school which comes to my mind is JBCN
            International which is in Parel opp the Phoenix Mills.Contact MS.PIYA
            BOSE
            I am sure if you tried contacting these institutions you may find
            something to suit your brother,
            Best of luck and kind regards
            Rekha

          • Vedant
            Message 5 of 10 , May 15, 2006
              Dear Shashwat,
              Your brother and you have my good wishes and sympathy.
              I agree with Suvro but i doubt how he will spend the first few weeks in the boarding school. Boys and/or girls will probably tease him a lot for his failures, hurting him a lot lot more.
              And Sonali's suggestion can be very very helpful. But be careful about the psycologist you choose.

              But I am surprised by the age of your brother. I am aged 16 and I gave the ICSE examination this year.

              <tasqeenm@...> wrote:
> [...]

              > > If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn
              > > more about the Alternative Education in India group,
              > > and view the archives, by visiting:
              > >
              > > To start sending messages to members of the group,
              > > simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
              > >
              > > If you do not wish to belong to
              > > home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending
              > > an email to:
              > >
              > > There are associated web pages at:
              > > www.alternativeeducationindia.net
              > >
              > > Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local
              > > contact groups data base, which is to enable members
              > > of the group to make personal contact with others
              > > who live nearby.

              > >         Alternative education   School education
              > > Alternative education high school     Alternative
              > > education middle school   Alternative education
              > > schools   Alternative education schools

              > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

              This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

              To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

              If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

              There are associated web pages at:
              www.alternativeeducationindia.net

              Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

              Alternative education School education Alternative education high school
              Alternative education middle school Alternative education schools Alternative education schools

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              Vedant Lath
              vedant.lath@...
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                You can also contact Ms. Banu Ismail. She is phycotheripist . her email
                address is banu53@... . and her cell number is 982048076.

                Idafa Mumbai: Mimson House, 2nd Floor, 92, L T Marg, Mumbai 400003.
                Phone: 022 23472118, Fax: 022 23438533

                Idafa Surat: B-24, Fazal Shopping Centre, Adajan Patia, Surat 395003.
                Phone: 0261 2770720, Fax: 0261 2770721

                Idafa Hyderabad: 403, Manzil Cambers, Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad -28.

                Idafa on Internet: Www.idafa.com

                visiting: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alt-ed-india

                To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails
                to: alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

                If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may
                unsubscribe by sending an email to:

                There are associated web pages at:
                www.alternativeeducationindia.net

                Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data
                base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact
                with others who live nearby.

              • Satish Natarajan
                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2006
                  Do you have a strange mind?

                  fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too Cna
                  yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe can.

                  i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd
                  waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan
                  mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
                  Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the
                  ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is
                  taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

                  The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
                  whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
                  not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a
                  wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling
                  was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • nita hattikudur
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27, 2006
                    Dear Shashwat,

                    I am still debating whether I should write this letter.  If you feel I am crossing boundaries, please ignore this.

                    You said your bro. though 14 yrs. looks not more than 8 yrs, am I right? Yur parents separated 6-7yrs ago i.e. when your bro. must have been 8 yrs. With this assumtion, I feel your bro. still wants to be 8 yrs old, i.e the time when he had both his parents with him and when he felt secure of love from both of them.  Keeping this in mind, I feel you should talk to both your parents about making your brother feel wanted.  Now when I say "wanted", it does not mean a sudden shower of gifts, or outings etc. I feel they should sit with him together, and discuss/explain why they separated, stressing that it was not because of him. Once they start this, the discussions should continue bearing in mind that neither parent should blame the other, as this might further distress yur bro. Both parents should spend as much time with him, every day compulsorily and they should listen to him, however silly it may be. Children are very perceptive and understanding, so I hope your parents will talk to him with openness and honesty.
                    This could make him feel wanted. This would only be the beginning. Your parents should do this not for themselves but for your bro. I feel this is the only solution as he is affected by their separation. Since it is they who brought him into this world, it is their responsibility. Why don't you bring the three of them together? Your guilt too would be taken care of and you can do that much for your bro's sake.

                    Maybe I have written too much.  Any way I feel taking the child to a psycologist may make him  feel something is really wrong with him.

                    All the very best.

                    Nita.

                    shashlist <shashlist@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • sonali marwaha
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 31, 2006

                      Please fo not undermine the need for seeking professional help for such problems. Sometimes problems are not just what we may 'analyse" them to be. A competent psychologist is capable of looking at the issue in a dispassionate manner, is able to diagnose where the problem arises from  - the body or the emotions or social relations. It would be foolhardy to shy away from professional help in such and related matters.