the kid's group

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      The group for the children is now moderated so that all FIRST postings are checked before they are delivered to group members. This seemed a good security measure.

      There are now 15 members, including 3 adults.

      To join the group, go to:

      Clive

    • Anu Vyas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
        I have some concerns when you say that the group postings are now moderated.

        When I first suggested the idea of a home schooled kids own yahoo group - the idea was to let the kids connect with each other - without much adult interference - letting kids be kids and expressing their own opinions. The idea being that this isn't school - there is no one lookign over their shoulders all the time, no one trying to teach/ mould them all the time, explicitly or implicitly.

         Moderating postings brings up the question of
        1. Who moderates the postings - is it a group of kids themselves or is it an adult?
        2. On what basis do we decide what posting goes through and what doesn't?  What are the norms which define which is an acceptable posting and which isn't.  Who sets these norms - again the kids themselves or do we adults decide for them?

        I understand that the big fear would be postings with inappropriate sexual content - obviously we don't want our kids subject to that.  A way around that is to moderate who joins the group - it should be by reference - the member should be a kid or a responsible adult etc.

        Once in, the kids should be able to discuss whatever, without much adult input.  On of the best things about homeschooled kids is that they have great exposure to the world, they are willing to think about things, formulate their own opinions, express them etc. Whether we as adults agree with their opinions or not.  Infact what I love about homeschooling is the freedom it allows kids to express their creativity.

        Aneesa

        Clive Elwell <cliveelwell@...> wrote:
        The group for the children is now moderated so that all FIRST postings are checked before they are delivered to group members. This seemed a good security measure.

        There are now 15 members, including 3 adults.

        To join the group, go to:

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
          Perhaps the term "moderate" is misunderstood.

          What is now in effect is that for any one who joins the group, their first posting has to be inspected, and approved. It is the same for this group.

          The intention is purely to safeguard the kid's security. In this way any adult who joins for the wrong purpose can be prevented from making a posting. It also blocks postings with a purely commercial purpose, sent illegally in mass to all groups, material that would be considered "junk mail".

          There is no intention to censure the children's postings.