New here

  • neti_srinivasan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2003
      Hi group,

      I got here after reading a recent article in Rediff.com.

      I have myself been quite frustrated with the issue of focusing solely
      on an 'exam based' education.

      There seem to be some successes in this group with homeschooling.
      That is good news indeed. I am just curious if there is a 'morph' of
      the 2 systems - traditional + home schooling.

      Someone the group mentioned "fears" and I'd like to mention my
      concerns -

      i) Loneliness is the big one. I do beleive that kids pick up skills
      form peers and learn from them through interaction.

      ii) If both parents work - how is homeschooling possible? Or is it a
      method useful only where there is one parent working.

      iii) At least in this country a good education (read high % marks) =
      opportunities & a career. Can homeschooling provide this? I am
      struggling with the issue of 'educational competency' at high school
      levels.

      My intent in writing this note is to gain clarity on the subject. And
      the primary motivation is really to provide a more healthy learning
      environment for my kids.

      To say the least, congratulations for starting a group of this
      nature. If nothing, I am at least richer by the exchange of ideas.

      Regards,

      Neti
    • Prashanth Visweswaran
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2003
        Hi Neti,

        Welcome to this group. Here are some views I would like to share for the points you have raised.

        I am just curious if there is a 'morph' of
        the 2 systems - traditional + home schooling.

        My kids for example do attend workshops with other kids. They go for Art workshops, they are members of the track club and swimming club. So there is traditional schooling involved which is an integral part of home education. A lot of my kids friends are traditional schoolers and there does not seem to be an issue.

        Loneliness is the big one. I do beleive that kids pick up skills form peers and learn from them through interaction.

        Yes this is a challenge that needs to be addressed while homeschooling. First and foremost we as parents need to become the best friends of our children. learn with them , play with them. Also networking with other homeschoolers and forming groups address this issue to a large extent. Unlike traditional school, one has to develop groups. One that is certainly achieved, the family comes closer and there is more bonding.

        If both parents work - how is homeschooling possible? Or is it a method useful only where there is one parent working.
        I agree this is a challenge.

        At least in this country a good education (read high % marks) = opportunities & a career. Can home schooling provide this? I am
        struggling with the issue of 'educational competency' at high school
        levels.

        Normally even when it come to grades and scores, homeschoolers do very well. Homeschoolers can take O level and A level exams as private candidates.

        Neti, if you need any information or require me to share resources so as to able to think about an alternative in education for your kids I will be most certainly glad to do so.

        Like they say at the OSCARs, I thank Clive for starting this group, without whose initiative, we would not have come to know each other.

        Regards,
        Prashanth
        neti_srinivasan <neti_srinivasan@...> wrote:
[...]

        This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

        To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

        If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

        There are associated web pages at:
        www.alternativeeducationindia.net

        Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2003

          "neti_srinivasan" wrote:
          > I got here after reading a recent article in Rediff.com.
          > I have myself been quite frustrated with the issue of focusing
          solely  on an 'exam based' education.
          > There seem to be some
          successes in this group with homeschooling.  That is good news indeed. I am just curious if there is a 'morph' of  the 2 systems - traditional + home schooling.

          In one sense of your question, A "morph" is often possible, at least here in New Zealand, in that children may attend particular classes in a school, by agreement with a headmaster. Whether this might be possible in India I do not know.

          In another sense, what I see as an ideal arrangemant is a few home educating parents getting together and creating a small, very informal "school". The exact details would depend on the needs of the participants, but however it is done - even in family's houses - such a thing goes a long way to meet the fears and difficulties of perspective home-educators.

          > Someone the group mentioned "fears" and I'd like to mention my  concerns -
          > i) Loneliness is the big
          one. I do beleive that kids pick up skills  form peers and learn from them through interaction.

          And they generally pick up a lot more than one might wish. Likes the "skills" of smoking, drinking, drugs, bullying, and other forms of aggression, unhealthy attitudes towards the opposite sex, a sense of failure or bravado, etc etc.

          > ii) If both parents work - how is homeschooling possible? Or is it a  method useful only where there is one parent working.

          It's hard to see how it could work without a lot of energy imput from at least one parent.

          > iii) At least in this country a good education (read high %
          marks) = > opportunities & a career. Can homeschooling provide this? I am
          > struggling with the issue of 'educational competency' at high
          school   levels.

          On the whole, statistics show us that home-educated children are more academically sucessful than children at school.

          > My intent in writing this note is to gain
          clarity on the subject.
          > And  the primary motivation is really to
          provide a more healthy learning  environment for my kids.
          > To say
          the least, congratulations for starting a group of this
          > nature. If
          nothing, I am at least richer by the exchange of ideas.

          Let's hope it doesn't remaim merely in the realm of ideas.

        • neti_srinivasan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2003
            Hi Prashanth,

            Thanks for the responses and the offer of help.

            Broadly, the overarching objective of everyone in this group
            evidently is a good & meaningful education for their kids. I am
            really trying to see if homeschooling is the only way out. (Let me
            take a step back - my understanding of homeschooling is "one/both
            parents taking active control of the kids' education and providing
            this in a home environment vs a school environment". Am I right?) One
            of my worries centers around the 'competency' issue e.g if the child
            displays a strong proclivity towards say English Literature - how
            does a parent facilitate this if neither parent has the skills.

            I am also trying to understand what does a typical day consist of in
            a "homeschool" - is there a schedule? is there a month plan? etc.

            I am trying to pick up homeschooling skills to supplement/enrich the
            conventional school learning .. first off - in your opinion will this
            work?

            I am convinced of one thing though - it does bring the family close
            together and does enrich their lives.

            Thanks & regards (and may I add it's a pleasure to get to know you),

            Neti

            > Neti, if you need any information or require me to share resources
            so as to able to think about an alternative in education for your
            kids I will be most certainly glad to do so.

            > Like they say at the OSCARs, I thank Clive for starting this group,
            without whose initiative, we would not have come to know each other.

            > Regards,
            > Prashanth
          • neti_srinivasan
            Message 5 of 7 , May 21, 2003
              Hi Clive,

              Thanks for the responses.

              > In another sense, what I see as an ideal arrangemant is a few home
              educating parents getting together and creating a small, very
              informal "school". The exact details would depend on the needs of the
              participants, but however it is done - even in family's houses - such
              a thing goes a long way to meet the fears and difficulties of
              perspective home-educators.

              Great idea this. Wondering if this could be a "weekend homeschool".

              > And they generally pick up a lot more than one might wish. Likes
              the "skills" of smoking, drinking, drugs, bullying, and other forms
              of aggression, unhealthy attitudes towards the opposite sex, a sense
              of failure or bravado, etc etc.

              I agree and disagree. While you are right about this happening I
              would say that a lot of good gets around too. Also, (and I am looking
              for answers really) .. isn't there a fear of
              becoming 'overprotective' and kids not being able to 'fit' into the
              real world .. please I am only expressing my concerns.

              > > ii) If both parents work - how is homeschooling possible? Or is
              it a method useful only where there is one parent working.

              > It's hard to see how it could work without a lot of energy imput
              from at least one parent.

              Yup! Well said.

              > > iii) At least in this country a good education (read high %
              marks) = > opportunities & a career. Can homeschooling provide this?
              I am > struggling with the issue of 'educational competency' at high
              school levels.

              > On the whole, statistics show us that home-educated children are
              more academically sucessful than children at school.

              Great to hear that.

              > > My intent in writing this note is to gain clarity on the subject.
              > > And the primary motivation is really to provide a more healthy
              >
              > Let's hope it doesn't remaim merely in the realm of ideas.

              I guess I'm kinda hoping to get the best of both worlds right now :)

              Thanks & regards,

              Neti
              Message 6 of 7 , May 22, 2003
                Hi Neti
                Just a brief response to two of your questions.
                One
                > of my worries centers around the 'competency' issue e.g if the child
                > displays a strong proclivity towards say English Literature - how
                > does a parent facilitate this if neither parent has the skills.

                Why not drop your worries? Inteligent action never stems from fear. And
                strange how the things we worry about never actually materialise. Without
                fear, true intelligence (not IQ) can flourish, and that can meet the
                challenges that might arise in your home educating (and in your life
                generally). Have confidence that you can learn! You see, it is this
                confidence that is destroyed in conventional education.

                > I am also trying to understand what does a typical day consist of in
                > a "homeschool" - is there a schedule? is there a month plan? etc.

                A typical day will be what you (and your children) make it. There are no
                rules, no guidelines laid down. And what suits one family may not suit
                yours. If I may suggest, experiment a little. And remember one doesn't have
                to try to reproduce what happens at school in the home.

                Kind Regards
                Clive
              • neti_srinivasan
                Message 7 of 7 , May 22, 2003
                  Hi Clive,

                  Thanks for your responses. I do feel much 'clearer in the head.'

                  Regards,
                  Neti

                  --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Elwell" <jevans@t...>