Re: [alt-ed-india] Home school acivities

  • dhanashree sontakke
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2005

      After deliberating for long about to home school or not to home school I have come to a point of median. Instead of scrapping the school because it does more harm than help why not educated parents like us become active members in the schools.

      Probably for the children with special needs it is necessary to home school but otherwise having a cooperation with school and home is a better idea than doing away with schools all together.

      The teacbers who teach for 10-20 years in one school tend to get into routine. For them it is the same class and same books. But if we parents can participate in school activities more then we can make the same lessons more enjoyable. We can give project ideas, collect materials that can help in teaching and prepare teaching aid that children will love.

      So instead of teaching a child at home we can teach hundred children in homely environment.

      Just a thought.
      Dhanashree
      Nandan Shastri <nandan_shastri@...> wrote:
      N.Ramjee has dealt nicely about home and school colaboration.
      In USA, I have been associated with home-school activities. In India, we should start such activities with well-recognized curricula.
      Nandan Shastri, Curator,University Museum,
      Sardar Patel University
      Vallabh Vidyanagar-388120

      Yahoo! for Good

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Causmic Dance
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2005
        Your choices need not be restricted to conventional schooling and home schooling. There are alternative schools (or learning centers, as some may consciously call themselves) where you have varying degrees of parent participation. In many cases, the parents are actively involved in starting and running the school itself. One such school in Bangalore started as a home school for one parent's kids, had more and more parents joining in and today, has about a 100 children enrolled!

        You also have Waldorf schools in Hyderabad and Mumbai - not sure how they these specific schools operate...but, in general, parental involvement in Waldorf schools is quite high.

        I am sure there are others in the group who could point you to other such examples.

        warmly,
        Ramji

        On 9/13/05, dhanashree sontakke <dhana_son@...> wrote:

[...]

        This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

        To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

        If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

        There are associated web pages at:
        www.alternativeeducationindia.net

        Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.