Reg: EQs and Schools!

  • Nagarajan Ramjee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2005
      I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.
      ********************************************************************************************************************************************************
      Dear Clive and Ramji,

      Vanakkam! Greetings from Tamil Nadu.
      It's been a long while since I mailed my reactions to the group. Tsunami has taken its toll may be, I am traumatised too!
      Clive's statement "I would say schools very rarely have the real, deep interest of the child at heart." is true in most cases but definitely not in all the cases! (as he rightly said, I being an educator--though have come far from formal school education, would still like myself being recognised that way--
      am denying that!)

      His mention on "interest of the child" is definitely looked at as he says in "limited"  terms, but not necessarily only from the passing of examinations or acquiring jobs alone.
      Being happy or unhappy is I would say a person's choice. I could be happy with a five rupee if I found it lying in some corner of my drawer, I would become unhappy the moment I realise that my wife discovered a larger sum beneath her sarees...
      Confusion and conflicts are the essence of life.
      The onus of responsibility in giving the "freedom" (as it is often used!) to the child to express or free lies equally on the parents and the teachers...

      Please understand by "intelligence" can not be "developed"  an educator can only help a child to horne his/ her skills to put them to best use, under the practical situations!

      Calling or taking quotes of people who have never sat with a child ever in their life--politicians like Gandhiji/ Nehru/ Lenin/ Kennedy or philosophers like Aristotle/ Socrates/ Pluto for that matter, means nothing. Their reference to "education" is often not school/ children's education but of a more mature minds--the adults!

      To achieve what Aristotle put, to be angry with the right person , to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way--many of us I guess would not have not have been able to achieve, not because our school education did not equip us, but because we did not equip ourselves under the given conditions!
      The IQ/ EQ values are all just numbers and have no great sense for anyone. Yes, if scientifically done it could certify that you are of a 'X' and 'Y' IQ/ EQ. That's all--the rider, if Scientifically done--is another factor to be factored in!

      Children develop intelligently and emotionally based on how the Self+Parent+Teacher+people around, respond to the day-day situations at all the places, at all the time! The two key ones at young age is of course, the place where they spend most of their time--the school and home!

      When you make any decision in life do that more from mind, than from heart--never get carried away by emotional or talks that raise your feelings than your intellect!

      Know the REALITIES OF LIFE and fit yourself and help your child fit into the REALITY snugly!

      Thank you.

      With kind regards,

      ramjee (NOT Ramji)