RE: [alt-ed-india] On the way to experimenting with alternative education systems

  • Mathew Kuruvilla
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Thank you for your thoughts Shashi.

      Appreciate them.

      Mathew

      --- shashi.pkumar@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Some point we might need to ponder on alternate
      > education:
      >
      > - Full time involvement of Parents is a must
      > - Works best when parents are teachers. To this end
      > form group of
      > parents who are inclined towards alternate education
      > practices.
      > - There would always be comparisons with child's
      > peers. Cope with it,
      > teach child as well.
      > - There would always be confusion in the mind of
      > parents on exams -
      > Remember one thing, by means of alternate education
      > we are preparing
      > Child to deal with Life (I my opinion, aspect which
      > most of the regular
      > schools fail to inculcate), not to face a
      > examination or acquire degrees
      > - Most of the confusion in the parents mind stems
      > due to the pre
      > conceived notion future
      >
      > I have a 2 year old Kid, and planning to start home
      > educating him. I
      > have met number of people in and around Bangalore,
      > who are home
      > educating their children. Above is a summary of my
      > observations.
      >
      > Hope this helps...
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Shashi

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/
    • Causmic Dance
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi Mathew,
        I'm Meena. My husband(Ramji) and myself have chosen a conscious
        parenting style with our daughter Eesha (now 5 1/2 years old) ever
        since she was born. What that means is alternate everything :)...in
        terms of food, the way we communicate with her and ofcourse education!
        We moved back to Bangalore from the US a couple of years ago and did
        quite a bit of research and searching before finally zeroing in on an
        "alternate" school. Though ideally we would like to homeschool her,
        given our current situation this works out best even though I travel
        15 kms one way to get her to school. But this school really provides
        us with the flexibilities we want in terms of the timings and also in
        the number of days Eesha attends school. Currently she goes to school
        for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. The other 2 days Ramji and I
        "homeschool" her. Eventually we would like to get to a point where we
        could homeschool her completely.

        To answer your questions with our frame of reference -

        1) We believe there are 2 steps to alternative education. The first is
        deciding to deviate from the normal system of education...The
        definition of normal schools being those that implement an ICSE, CBSE
        etc. curriculum using traditional schooling methods.
        Having decided on this deviation, the next step is to decide how you
        want to "school" your child ...send him/her to an "alternate" school
        or homeschool. The latter is generally considered to be a more drastic
        decision.

        As u may have gathered by now, alternate schools come in all shapes
        and sizes. This is also mirrored in their choice of examination to
        prepare the child for. Some bow to parental pressure and introduce
        conventional curriculum from say, Std 8 (preparing them for
        ICSE)....The more liberal ones choose the National Institute of Open
        Schooling (NIOS) option.

        If you decide to home school however, NIOS is one option...there are
        other options like IB, too.

        The alternate school option is generally viewed as being less taxing
        on you as a parent compared to homeschooling.

        2) If you move to a different city, yes...it could take a lot of
        effort to find an alternate school, esp. since each alternate school
        has its own philosophy/flavor...unless u r looking at alternative
        schools that subscribe to a uniform philosophy - like Waldorf schools.
        Even within such schools, there are differences in interpretation and
        implementation. If you homeschool...this is not an issue.

        3) Peer comparisons will definitely be there - though this may be more
        in the parents' minds than in the child's. The way we cope with it is
        by revealing only as much as necessary to the outside world (we never
        get into arguments about which system is better :). As far as the
        child is concerned, in our case, we work continuously on empowering
        her to handle these situations.

        Hope this helps!

        Warmly,
        Meena
      • Mathew Kuruvilla
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
          Hi Meena

          Appreciate your effort in providing a detailed answer.
          Thanks a ton.

          I am in a job that takes away about 12 hours of my
          day...my wife has chosen to be remain at home to be
          with Ananya (my daughter).

          After a lot of churning and long discussions, we have
          decided to continue her in a middleroad school. One of
          the schools we visited made us wonder if we were
          equipped to handle any ambiguities that could arise
          out of such a new system.

          We plan to spend more time with the child and provide
          her what she may lack at the school...focus more on
          the extracurricular, empower her and provide her more
          breathing space.

          Need to see how this will work out. We plan to observe
          for another six months and take a call.

          Thank you once again Meena

          Cheers to Ramji and you for contributing to the
          alternative education domain.

          Have a great weekend.

          Mathew

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi Mathew,

            At the risk of confusing you, I would say schools very rarely have the real,
            deep interest of the child at heart. They would deny that of course, but
            really they interpret the "interest of the child" in very limited terms,
            generally in terms of passing examinations and getting jobs later in life.
            But the world is full of people who have qualifications and "good jobs" but
            are still unhappy, with lives full of confusion and conflict. I am not
            saying that children shouldn't ever take examinations and have a job, but
            watching this list I feel these issues assume far too much importance in the
            minds of parents contemplating home-educating. Fear of consequences in the
            future seems so often to over ride what is really needed for the child.

            What is important, is it not, is to develop intelligence in a child, so
            that it will
            be able to meet all the challenges of life later on. Discovering the work
            that he loves to do is only one of those challenges. Please understand by
            "intelligence" I don't mean mere IQ, not just developing the intellect. It's
            a very rare school indeed that is concerned with this issue.

            I am not trying to persuade you into anything, but please consult your own
            feeling and thoughts about what to do with your child, and don't be
            influenced by what the schools have to say.

            Kind Regards

> [...]
            > those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to
            > participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into
            > fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to
            > support those who are home educating.
            >

            > If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn more about the
            > Alternative Education in India group, and view the archives, by visiting:
            >
            > To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:
            > alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe
            > by sending an email to:
            >
            > There are associated web pages at:
            > www.alternativeeducationindia.net
            >
            > Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data
            > base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact

          • Causmic Dance
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
              Could not agree more, Clive -

              Focusing on IQ is taking a one-sided view. As is slowly but surely
              emerging, the Emotional Quotient (EQ) of a person matters as much as
              IQ (if not more). IQ is the raw material that you have been blessed
              with, but unless you are equipped to use it effectively in life
              situations, it is useless.

              As Aristotle put it, "Anyone can become angry - that is easy. But, to
              be angry with the right person , to the right degree, at the right
              time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - this is not easy".

              The vast majority of schools out there today, take the 'IQ' view. A
              precious few choose to differ. Whereas IQ is not discounted in these
              schools, EQ is given far more importance. The focus is more on Empathy
              and Compassionate Communication. This is based on a premise that
              knowledge can be imparted/absorbed efffectively at any time during
              childhood - may not matter much whether the mathematical tables are
              learnt at age 6 or age 8. However, imbalanced emotional development
              comes back to haunt us again and again in life, hampering 'success'.
              One is talking about a balanced success here - a combination of
              material success and a state of well being.

              Children develop emotionally based on how the trinity of
              (Self+Parent+Teacher) respond to the day-day situations at two key
              places - school and home.

              As a child -

              - Do I have the space to express my feelings freely?
              - How do folks around me help resolve the day-day conflicts that I get
              into and are so important at that moment in my life? I was playing
              with a ball in school that was snatched from me - Was there someone
              (either during or after the incident) who empathized with me and my
              loss, which to me was huge and very real in 'my world'?
              - Am I encouraged to resolve conflicts through physical violence or
              through dialogue?
              - Am I punished for not conforming to what the school or home thinks
              is good for me? Alternatively, am I rewarded for conforming?

              As parents engaged in conscious parenting, it is important for all of
              us to absorb and reflect upon the criticality of EQ in our lives as
              well as that of our children.

              Recommended reading for folks interesting in knowing more about EQ
              (may not be known as EQ in all places) -

              Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman
              The Center for Non-Violent Communication (www.cnvc.org)

              warmly,
              Ramji

            • BharatSanghvi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
                Hello all,
                I returned from US a couple of months back. I have been doing some
                research on my own regarding educating my children. I believe I still
                have a lot of time before I make a decision on my daughter's
                schooling, who is only two and a half years old. And my son is two
                months old.

                However, I would like your help in pointing me in the right direction.

                If I had it all, I would home school my children. However, if a school
                exists with a similar environment, I would prefer that. My idea of an
                ideal school is one that lets the parents share in the teaching
                responsibilites - we can all home school, at the same time sharing the
                load with each other.

                Before I make a decision, I would at least like to visit schools with
                my wife and daughter and make up my own mind.

                I have considered Valley School - as it was founded by Jiddu
                Krishnamurty, a man whose views on education I admire. However, their
                website lists ICSE/CBSE, so I am not sure if it is the right answer.

                I like the IB curriculum, however, I don't want to fall into a trap of
                a school thats actually a money making machine that has chosen the IB
                curriculum just because it has the word "International" in it and can
                attract NRIs. There is a Canadian school and a "Bangalore
                International" school that offer IB currciculum. Can anyone comment on
                those?

                Can those of you who send their children to school give me the names
                of the school and some attributes about the school? I will use that
                information to create a shortlist of schools to visit personally.

                What is Montessory - and where can I find a "real" montessory school?

                My other motive for wanting to visit these schools is that I have a
                dream of starting my ideal school some day. However, I still have a
                lot of homework to do before I can start a non-profit, yet
                self-sustaining school. Each child's curricula will have to be set by
                their parents, at the child's pace. A community of parents that helps
                each other, but does not get in each other's way. And skilled teachers
                to help parents where there is a need. For example, if my daughter had
                an interest in learning to play the violin, I couldn't teach her that
                myself! I could either send her to a violin teacher, or I could invite
                that teacher to the school a few hours a week and teach any other
                interested child as well. It would definitely reduce the expenses per
                head.

                Parents should not "send" their child to the school. Parents should
                "join" the school along with their child.

                I also realize that there is a need for such a school, because there
                are some parents that cannot afford to homeschool their kids (either
                financially, or more often, they may lack the skills), but do not want
                to send their kids through the establishment schools.
                For example, I know a lawyer who says "I can teach my kids languages,
                but not mathematics or science". He recently moved his daughter from
                ICSE to SSC because she could not cope with the ICSE syllabus.

                My late father had helped found two SSC schools with the help of some
                teachers. However, they are government funded and have the regular
                establishment style teaching. I could not take over these schools and
                change them even if I wanted to. It has to be a grounds up effort and
                I would have to find parent-teachers with the will and the knowledge
                to provide alternative education.

                thanks - for being the silver lining in today's dark educational clouds.
                Don't think that what you are doing for your children only helps them.
                They will, now and after growing up, touch the lives of others.

                Bharat Sanghvi
                CEO, Tavari Software
                Bangalore