RE: [alt-ed-india] On the way to experimenting with alternative education systems

  • shashi.pkumar@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30 11:59 PM
      Hi,

      Some point we might need to ponder on alternate education:

      - Full time involvement of Parents is a must
      - Works best when parents are teachers. To this end form group of
      parents who are inclined towards alternate education practices.
      - There would always be comparisons with child's peers. Cope with it,
      teach child as well.
      - There would always be confusion in the mind of parents on exams -
      Remember one thing, by means of alternate education we are preparing
      Child to deal with Life (I my opinion, aspect which most of the regular
      schools fail to inculcate), not to face a examination or acquire degrees
      - Most of the confusion in the parents mind stems due to the pre
      conceived notion future

      I have a 2 year old Kid, and planning to start home educating him. I
      have met number of people in and around Bangalore, who are home
      educating their children. Above is a summary of my observations.

      Hope this helps...

      Thanks,
      Shashi

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        Thank you for your thoughts Shashi.

        Appreciate them.

        Mathew

        --- shashi.pkumar@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Some point we might need to ponder on alternate
        > education:
        >
        > - Full time involvement of Parents is a must
        > - Works best when parents are teachers. To this end
        > form group of
        > parents who are inclined towards alternate education
        > practices.
        > - There would always be comparisons with child's
        > peers. Cope with it,
        > teach child as well.
        > - There would always be confusion in the mind of
        > parents on exams -
        > Remember one thing, by means of alternate education
        > we are preparing
        > Child to deal with Life (I my opinion, aspect which
        > most of the regular
        > schools fail to inculcate), not to face a
        > examination or acquire degrees
        > - Most of the confusion in the parents mind stems
        > due to the pre
        > conceived notion future
        >
        > I have a 2 year old Kid, and planning to start home
        > educating him. I
        > have met number of people in and around Bangalore,
        > who are home
        > educating their children. Above is a summary of my
        > observations.
        >
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Shashi

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/
      • Causmic Dance
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          Hi Mathew,
          I'm Meena. My husband(Ramji) and myself have chosen a conscious
          parenting style with our daughter Eesha (now 5 1/2 years old) ever
          since she was born. What that means is alternate everything :)...in
          terms of food, the way we communicate with her and ofcourse education!
          We moved back to Bangalore from the US a couple of years ago and did
          quite a bit of research and searching before finally zeroing in on an
          "alternate" school. Though ideally we would like to homeschool her,
          given our current situation this works out best even though I travel
          15 kms one way to get her to school. But this school really provides
          us with the flexibilities we want in terms of the timings and also in
          the number of days Eesha attends school. Currently she goes to school
          for 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. The other 2 days Ramji and I
          "homeschool" her. Eventually we would like to get to a point where we
          could homeschool her completely.

          To answer your questions with our frame of reference -

          1) We believe there are 2 steps to alternative education. The first is
          deciding to deviate from the normal system of education...The
          definition of normal schools being those that implement an ICSE, CBSE
          etc. curriculum using traditional schooling methods.
          Having decided on this deviation, the next step is to decide how you
          want to "school" your child ...send him/her to an "alternate" school
          or homeschool. The latter is generally considered to be a more drastic
          decision.

          As u may have gathered by now, alternate schools come in all shapes
          and sizes. This is also mirrored in their choice of examination to
          prepare the child for. Some bow to parental pressure and introduce
          conventional curriculum from say, Std 8 (preparing them for
          ICSE)....The more liberal ones choose the National Institute of Open
          Schooling (NIOS) option.

          If you decide to home school however, NIOS is one option...there are
          other options like IB, too.

          The alternate school option is generally viewed as being less taxing
          on you as a parent compared to homeschooling.

          2) If you move to a different city, yes...it could take a lot of
          effort to find an alternate school, esp. since each alternate school
          has its own philosophy/flavor...unless u r looking at alternative
          schools that subscribe to a uniform philosophy - like Waldorf schools.
          Even within such schools, there are differences in interpretation and
          implementation. If you homeschool...this is not an issue.

          3) Peer comparisons will definitely be there - though this may be more
          in the parents' minds than in the child's. The way we cope with it is
          by revealing only as much as necessary to the outside world (we never
          get into arguments about which system is better :). As far as the
          child is concerned, in our case, we work continuously on empowering
          her to handle these situations.

          Hope this helps!

          Warmly,
          Meena
        • Mathew Kuruvilla
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi Meena

            Appreciate your effort in providing a detailed answer.
            Thanks a ton.

            I am in a job that takes away about 12 hours of my
            day...my wife has chosen to be remain at home to be
            with Ananya (my daughter).

            After a lot of churning and long discussions, we have
            decided to continue her in a middleroad school. One of
            the schools we visited made us wonder if we were
            equipped to handle any ambiguities that could arise
            out of such a new system.

            We plan to spend more time with the child and provide
            her what she may lack at the school...focus more on
            the extracurricular, empower her and provide her more
            breathing space.

            Need to see how this will work out. We plan to observe
            for another six months and take a call.

            Thank you once again Meena

            Cheers to Ramji and you for contributing to the
            alternative education domain.

            Have a great weekend.

            Mathew

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
              Hi Mathew,

              At the risk of confusing you, I would say schools very rarely have the real,
              deep interest of the child at heart. They would deny that of course, but
              really they interpret the "interest of the child" in very limited terms,
              generally in terms of passing examinations and getting jobs later in life.
              But the world is full of people who have qualifications and "good jobs" but
              are still unhappy, with lives full of confusion and conflict. I am not
              saying that children shouldn't ever take examinations and have a job, but
              watching this list I feel these issues assume far too much importance in the
              minds of parents contemplating home-educating. Fear of consequences in the
              future seems so often to over ride what is really needed for the child.

              What is important, is it not, is to develop intelligence in a child, so
              that it will
              be able to meet all the challenges of life later on. Discovering the work
              that he loves to do is only one of those challenges. Please understand by
              "intelligence" I don't mean mere IQ, not just developing the intellect. It's
              a very rare school indeed that is concerned with this issue.

              I am not trying to persuade you into anything, but please consult your own
              feeling and thoughts about what to do with your child, and don't be
              influenced by what the schools have to say.

              Kind Regards

> [...]
              > those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to
              > participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into
              > fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to
              > support those who are home educating.
              >

              > If you have a web-based subscription, you can learn more about the
              > Alternative Education in India group, and view the archives, by visiting:
              >
              > To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:
              > alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe
              > by sending an email to:
              >
              > There are associated web pages at:
              > www.alternativeeducationindia.net
              >
              > Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data
              > base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact

            • Causmic Dance
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                Could not agree more, Clive -

                Focusing on IQ is taking a one-sided view. As is slowly but surely
                emerging, the Emotional Quotient (EQ) of a person matters as much as
                IQ (if not more). IQ is the raw material that you have been blessed
                with, but unless you are equipped to use it effectively in life
                situations, it is useless.

                As Aristotle put it, "Anyone can become angry - that is easy. But, to
                be angry with the right person , to the right degree, at the right
                time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - this is not easy".

                The vast majority of schools out there today, take the 'IQ' view. A
                precious few choose to differ. Whereas IQ is not discounted in these
                schools, EQ is given far more importance. The focus is more on Empathy
                and Compassionate Communication. This is based on a premise that
                knowledge can be imparted/absorbed efffectively at any time during
                childhood - may not matter much whether the mathematical tables are
                learnt at age 6 or age 8. However, imbalanced emotional development
                comes back to haunt us again and again in life, hampering 'success'.
                One is talking about a balanced success here - a combination of
                material success and a state of well being.

                Children develop emotionally based on how the trinity of
                (Self+Parent+Teacher) respond to the day-day situations at two key
                places - school and home.

                As a child -

                - Do I have the space to express my feelings freely?
                - How do folks around me help resolve the day-day conflicts that I get
                into and are so important at that moment in my life? I was playing
                with a ball in school that was snatched from me - Was there someone
                (either during or after the incident) who empathized with me and my
                loss, which to me was huge and very real in 'my world'?
                - Am I encouraged to resolve conflicts through physical violence or
                through dialogue?
                - Am I punished for not conforming to what the school or home thinks
                is good for me? Alternatively, am I rewarded for conforming?

                As parents engaged in conscious parenting, it is important for all of
                us to absorb and reflect upon the criticality of EQ in our lives as
                well as that of our children.

                Recommended reading for folks interesting in knowing more about EQ
                (may not be known as EQ in all places) -

                Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman
                The Center for Non-Violent Communication (www.cnvc.org)

                warmly,
                Ramji

              • BharatSanghvi
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Hello all,
                  I returned from US a couple of months back. I have been doing some
                  research on my own regarding educating my children. I believe I still
                  have a lot of time before I make a decision on my daughter's
                  schooling, who is only two and a half years old. And my son is two
                  months old.

                  However, I would like your help in pointing me in the right direction.

                  If I had it all, I would home school my children. However, if a school
                  exists with a similar environment, I would prefer that. My idea of an
                  ideal school is one that lets the parents share in the teaching
                  responsibilites - we can all home school, at the same time sharing the
                  load with each other.

                  Before I make a decision, I would at least like to visit schools with
                  my wife and daughter and make up my own mind.

                  I have considered Valley School - as it was founded by Jiddu
                  Krishnamurty, a man whose views on education I admire. However, their
                  website lists ICSE/CBSE, so I am not sure if it is the right answer.

                  I like the IB curriculum, however, I don't want to fall into a trap of
                  a school thats actually a money making machine that has chosen the IB
                  curriculum just because it has the word "International" in it and can
                  attract NRIs. There is a Canadian school and a "Bangalore
                  International" school that offer IB currciculum. Can anyone comment on
                  those?

                  Can those of you who send their children to school give me the names
                  of the school and some attributes about the school? I will use that
                  information to create a shortlist of schools to visit personally.

                  What is Montessory - and where can I find a "real" montessory school?

                  My other motive for wanting to visit these schools is that I have a
                  dream of starting my ideal school some day. However, I still have a
                  lot of homework to do before I can start a non-profit, yet
                  self-sustaining school. Each child's curricula will have to be set by
                  their parents, at the child's pace. A community of parents that helps
                  each other, but does not get in each other's way. And skilled teachers
                  to help parents where there is a need. For example, if my daughter had
                  an interest in learning to play the violin, I couldn't teach her that
                  myself! I could either send her to a violin teacher, or I could invite
                  that teacher to the school a few hours a week and teach any other
                  interested child as well. It would definitely reduce the expenses per
                  head.

                  Parents should not "send" their child to the school. Parents should
                  "join" the school along with their child.

                  I also realize that there is a need for such a school, because there
                  are some parents that cannot afford to homeschool their kids (either
                  financially, or more often, they may lack the skills), but do not want
                  to send their kids through the establishment schools.
                  For example, I know a lawyer who says "I can teach my kids languages,
                  but not mathematics or science". He recently moved his daughter from
                  ICSE to SSC because she could not cope with the ICSE syllabus.

                  My late father had helped found two SSC schools with the help of some
                  teachers. However, they are government funded and have the regular
                  establishment style teaching. I could not take over these schools and
                  change them even if I wanted to. It has to be a grounds up effort and
                  I would have to find parent-teachers with the will and the knowledge
                  to provide alternative education.

                  thanks - for being the silver lining in today's dark educational clouds.
                  Don't think that what you are doing for your children only helps them.
                  They will, now and after growing up, touch the lives of others.

                  Bharat Sanghvi
                  CEO, Tavari Software
                  Bangalore