Celebrating childhood

  • jinankb@eth.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2005
      'Celebrating childhood; Celebrating life'

      Event

      I'm writing this to brainstorm for an event is being proposed called
      'Celebrating childhood; Celebrating life'.
      Definitely this is not an event with organizers and invitees. Who ever are
      concerned should join the whole process and take full responsibility.
      A gathering of people concerned with what is happening to children,
      especially the so-called 'privileged' children to whom childhood itself is
      denied.
      It is to basically address two issues.
      One is the loss of childhood in the present times. Even though there have
      been many warnings by way of children taking their lives etc society in
      general seems to ignore this.
      The second is to reclaim the child in us which most of us have lost under
      the pressure of modernity.

      Proposed venue and date
      Hydrabad Public School which is about 100 acres and in the heart of the city
      has been offered as a possible venue and since the event requires time
      December end is the proposed time. We could do series of events that could
      lead to the final gathering, at least of 1000 people. This could be a 3day
      event having both serious and fun events.

      Process
      Since the primary aim is to begin soul searching and make more people
      question the situation the whole process should bring in as much people as
      possible, make use of all possible means like e mails/groups/ websites and
      the existing newsletters, t-shirts,
      Regional meetings, interacting with young people and children. All this will
      require volunteers to take charge. It would be a worthwhile exercise if
      young people and children organize the whole event. This would mean going to
      schools etc.

      Logistics.

      A core team in Hydrabad will have to take care of the final event. A group
      comprising of people from various other parts could also be part of the
      group to initiate the process in their own regions.

      Possible events at the gathering.
      We could keep aside as event to specially remembering about the children who
      look their lives if possible bring their presents to the event.
      We could get in touch with schools and colleges to initiate a dialogue on
      this and request them to even the conduct the event.

      Funds
      The event should be completely self-supported with out sponsorship. Who ever
      wants to contribute should do so in complete anonymity. It is time to bring
      trust back in to our lives. Any body and every body are welcome as
      people -not as representatives of any organization or group.
      People of Hydrabad could host families and schoolrooms, tents etc could be
      made use of.
      We will have to think of alternatives and workable ideas.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
        I received this mail, many months ago.Please let me further details.

        Rajeev

        --
        Dr. Rajeev Sharma
        Associate Professor