making contact with others

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2003
      Hi Prashanth,

      Thanks for sharing your research with us, and I'll add the information to the webpage, http://www.alternativeeducationindia.net/curricula.htm

      But would you mind expanding out the acronyms you have used for me?

      I think your ideas of home educators in India getting together physically is an excellent one. Can I take this opportunity to remind new-comers to the group like Nita that there is a data base you can add your name, etc, to for making contact with other home educators in your area. Please see:

      Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 2:15 AM
      Subject: Re: [alt-ed-india] homeschooling

      Hi Nita,

      My wife and I are homeschooling our 2 kids, 5 and 8 years old presently in the US, but we intend to continue our home schooling efforts once we move to India this summer.

      From some prelim research I have done, here seem to be some curriculum options.

      1. ICSE does not allow private candidates. ( Please correct me if some one knows better)

      2. CBSE does allow private candate but with some very strict regulations. Go to their website, and check under the FAQs section.

      3. State boards like SSLC do allow private candidates.

      Now the british council should be able to help with some testing options from the UK. Please check out http://www1.britishcouncil.org/india/india-learning/india-exams/india-exams-educational-exams.htm

      4. So what we have narrowed down to are the above options and will do more ground work once we are in India.

      The benefits of home education are certainly a lot more considering the effort one may put in to adapt to a specific curriculum.

      These may be some options to work with. I am sure the world is moving towards virtual class rooms and learning will not be restricted and geographic barriers will not act as impediments to education. We take the world to be the class room, our kids can learn, interact from our homes with the world. Here they may need some basic infrastructure though.

      I am pretty optimistic about the concept of virtual learning centers in the very near future. This also gives ample time to kids to focus on other issues of interests like sports, art or whatever, may be have just more time to play.

      Where are you located may be can hook up and do some home exchange education for our kids. Like all home educated kids get together for one month and each of us parents work with the kids. Something like an annual camp of home schoolers in India.

      Take Care,

      KRGDS

      Prashanth

       nbulani2001 <nbulani@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      I'm new to this group A parent of 2 kids 9 & 11 years old. I've heard
      a lot about homescholing & am considering it. I would like to get in
      touch with parents homeschooling their kids in India. Specifically
      what curriculum to follow. I hope someone can help me.
      Nita

      This mailing list is primarily for the use of families who are home educating in India, and those who are considering doing so. However, all those with a deep interest in serious education are welcome to participate. The list's intentions are to facilitate enquiry into fundamental educational questions, to learn together, to share, and to  support those who are home educating.

      To start sending messages to members of the group, simply send emails to:  alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to home_educating_india, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to:

      There are associated web pages at:
      www.alternativeeducationindia.net

      Here you can if you wish add yourself to the local contact groups data base, which is to enable members of the group to make personal contact with others who live nearby.