Re: [alt-ed-india] Need suggestions for maths and science books

  • Sharla Chakravarthy Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013
      I like 'Science Is...' by Susan V. Bosak, from Scholastic.  It's a huge book of science activities and experiments on a broad range of topics and levels.

      On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Ashu <ashu_agarwal_usa@...> wrote:

      Dear Friends,

      My son has developed keen interest in maths and is actively looking for challenging questions. He is 10 years and I am looking for books which are equivalent to grade 5 in maths. Also any advice on good books in sciences.

      Thanks
      Ashu

      --
      Sharla

      Life is full if you open your eyes:
      Take joy where you find it.
    • genieratnesh
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2013

        Hi Ashu

        This isn't a direct reply to your query - just sharing my thoughts anyway

        I believe one of the best science books is a fat blank book (preferably with TABS for categorization)
        • On each page the child starts with a question (eg: How rains happens)
        • Further on that page the child writes down all the possible questions related to the above question (eg: why it falls at an angle, why sometimes small drops and sometimes big drops, what kind of clouds give rain, why it rains more in some months and less (or no) in some months, what happens to the cloud after it has rained, etc)
        • The child does not write any answers - atleast thats not the requirement (so the child can write or draw stuff that the child wants to - but essentially the book is MY BOOK OF SCIENCE (QUESTIONS). Per se there is no need to know the answers :-))))
        Another suggestion is to have a group book or family book like above  - whoever gets a questions about anything - that question is asked and written. All the questions added in week - are just discussed at a particular time slot in the week (all come with their own hypothesis - not knowledge per se. More questions are constantly added. The idea is not to KNOW science but to ENJOY science.

        Questions are more related to what is happening around - in the env or world (news)
        Eg if somebody falls sick - All possible questions related to that are documented and discussed.

        my two cents
        Ratnesh Mathur
        91-98450-45833
        www.aarohilife.org