Fwd: Invitation to 'Songs of Protest' and 'Reel Revolution' (with images this time!)

  • Neha Gupta
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Kaveri Gill <gill.kaveri@...>
      Date: Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM
      Subject: Fwd: Invitation to 'Songs of Protest' and 'Reel Revolution' (with images this time!)
      To: delhi-civil-lines <delhi-civil-lines@...>, Kranti Conference <kranticonference@...>

      Apologies for cross-posting, forthcoming events in Bangalore at the bottom of this email. A few words about the campaign, orginally conceived by students at NLSIU, below. If any student groups are interested in participating or opening a chapter of the campaign in any other city or small town of India, please contact Kranti Conference on the email above. If anyone wants to make a small donation, or contribute in any other way, get in touch with them! Spread the word,
      In solidarity, Kaveri

      "Kranti, as we call it, is a festival to reclaim the culture of dissent in India. The aim of Kranti is to raise solidarity for India's brave dissidents and the causes they are espousing. At a time when there is a growing disconnect between India's urban youth and those areas of India that are paying the price for "development", we believe this is an important attempt at raising awareness, small as it is.

      We originally planned to have a conference with activists and academicians to discuss displacement, women's anti-liqour struggles, weakening labour movements and caste atrocities. This was a few months ago. Over time, we realised that since our target audience is college students from across various streams, a conference alone is not engaging enough. And we therefore planned to have other events - street plays, photo exhibitions, movie screenings, songs of protest, all of which address different socio-political causes. Our idea has grown over time such that we now have a token national campaign with chapters in Pune, Mysore, Delhi, Kolkata and Hyderabad with sister events in those cities being organised by friends who believe in our campaign."