9650Re: [alt-ed-india] Nai Talim @Chaukul

  • School Without Walls
    Aug 12, 2012

      Advance railway bookings for 13/14th Dec are opening from tomm.. Particpants for Nai talim@Chaukul kindly book your tickets in advance.

      More About Village Chaukul

      Cahukul village is the Land of Culture and Natural beauty. Whatever your interests you will find something for you in the village, as long as you are passionate about learning, teamwork and nature. The benefits are endless.

      Chaukul is located in Amboli in the Western Ghats (known as Sahyadri ranges in Sanskrit) which is a mega biodiversity region, with flora, fauna and landscapes. It is also known as Chirapunji of Maharashtra. Choukul is surrounded by think forests and tree canopied hills. It’s in the vicinity of Hanmant gad and Pargad with rich flora and fauna. The river Ghataprabha which is a tributary of the Krishna river has its origin source in the main hill range of Sahyadri near Chowkul village. Chowkul’s ecosystem are unbelievably beautiful. Its colourful flower plateau environmental ideal makes Khamdev mandir pathar (valley of flowers) an idyllic self-contained world. There are 20 Vaidus (bare-foot botanist) in the village.

      Some more interesting fact about the village Chaukul...

      §  Village is into existence     from last 300-400 years in Amboli

      §  Ancestors of the villagers     are originally from the Shayadri ranges.Their earlier surname was Sawant.

      §  They were three brothers. They revolted against Britishers /local villagers (exact reason is not known) and migrated from their     village.

      §  They got settled in Nasar     village, Dodamarg village and Chaukul village all in Sindhudurg district

      §  The original residents of     Chaukul were Kasar Community

      §  All three brothers were     accompanied by people from Berad community for their self-protection.

      §  They came with 3 KUL     (husbandman or labourer, or Vansh) and so the name Choukul.

      §  There are 21 wadi (colonies)     in the village having 21,000 hectare land holding

      §  Fascinating part is that the     land doesn’t belong to any individual or family. One who has house or one     who tilts the land is a Possesioner  but not the owner.

      §  Power Attorney comes to one     family after every 72 years. That family is the signing authority on     behalf of the village - just signing authority. But no power to take decision     on individual capacity.

      §  POA which comes to the     family after 72 years is called as KABULATDAR GAVKAR.

      §  Gram panchayat is the     institutional body but the Village gram sabha is supreme. Village have its     own law and order existing from last 300-400 years. Head of this gram     sabha is Panch who is selected by village unanimously.

      §  The decision or court     hearing is not given by this head person. It’s given by the village     unanimously.

      §  If any dispute in village     decision is never taken immediately.

      §  Summon is sent first.Summon is delivered by the     person from Dalit community.If the person doesn't appear     then there is a warrant. While issuing warrant a person from Deuli     community (one who works in the temple) goes along with Dalit community     member.

      §  After argument Panch does     the intervention. Decision is taken collectively and is final. No appeal.

      §  If any wants to construct     house or do farming anywhere in the village jurisdiction, they can do so     with prior permission from the Village gram sabha and then from the     village panchayat.

      §  Village court sits every Tuesday

      §  On the land records the     owner is Maharashtra Government. But still government can’t take any steps     without permission of village

      §  There is a Swagat committee (Welcome committee) of the village who organises facilities and welcomes     the guest who visit their village.

      §  Plastic is ban in the     village. Consumption of Alcohol is prohibited in the village

      Who is hosting?

      School-Without-Walls is a real life education system of Syamantak, a voluntary organisation working in Sindhudurg District of Maharashtra. Education here is based on hands on practical and innovations.  WWW.SYAMANTAK.ORG

      About School-Without-Walls...

      Birth of our first child led to question value of leading our completely on-track, build-your-business-at-any-cost kind of life. Inspired by vision of scientist turned educationist Dr.Srinath Kalbag, we moved from Bhopal to our ancestor house in Dhamapur which was closed for 80 years. Our idea was to create a proto-type education, a school that will be run by the students and for the students. Our curriculum was our day to hurdles we faced. The village mason, electrician who came to give their services became our resource person for that particular day. In short span of time we got some extra-ordinary results from this organic learning system. Students evolved in this education system where there was no teacher - no supervisor. They innovated local technologies like the solar dehydrator, water pumping device etc.....through various community work like selling organic vegetables, vermicompost, constructing toilets etc funds were raised for the education.

      National Council of Rural Institutes (Govt of India) has recognized our efforts. NCRI is now supporting us to scale up this model for other grassroot organisation in remote areas. We are now helping grass-root NGO in Gadhchiroli and Chiplun to start a similar real life education program in their village.

      Division into curriculum and co-curriculum detaches education from actual life. Since life and education merge in Syamantak every activity is curriculum for us. A journey together where man and nature confront and converge. At a time when debates rage on what and how children should learn, here is an attempt……a pointer – School without walls.

      For registrations:

      You can visit Nai Talim @Chaukul at WWW.SYAMANTAK.ORG

      Contact person:

      ·        Kokil Poddar (Bangalore):