9023Re: [alt-ed-india] Poll results for alt-ed-india and the Vision and the Mission statements

  • Nandan Shastri
    Jan 1, 2012
      Happy New Year to all my fellow members!
      As now the result of poll is declared, let us ponder over about the Mission and Vision statements of  our " Free Learing Association
      of India"!
      As I've been in museum profession ( which also falls in the category of free learning ) since over 35 years, I would like to bring to
      your kind attention not only the Mission and the Vision Satements, but also the Values and the Priorities of the Smithsonian Institution which is the biggest complex of museums in the World and likewise we should refer to some other institutes' information in this regard and thereafter finalize the Mission and the Vision statements of " Free Learning Association of India."
      Nandan Shastri ( UC Berkeley, USA )

      Our Mission

      The increase and diffusion of knowledge

      Our Vision

      Shaping the future by preserving our heritage, discovering new knowledge, and sharing our resources with the world

      Our Values

      Discovery: Explore and bring to light new knowledge and ideas, and better ways of doing business
      Creativity: Instill our work with imagination and innovation
      Excellence: Deliver the highest-quality products and services in all endeavors
      Diversity: Capitalize on the richness inherent in differences
      Integrity: Carry out all our work with the greatest responsibility and accountability
      Service: Be of benefit to the public and our stakeholders

      Our Priorities

      Four Grand Challenges: Focus on the four grand challenges outlined in the Smithsonian Strategic Plan
      Broadening Access: Digitizing our collections, exploring next-generation technologies and improving the visitor experience
      Revitalizing Education: Serve as a laboratory to create models and methods of innovative informal education and link them to formal education system
      Crossing Boundaries: Establish interdisciplinary consortia around each of the four grand challenges
      Strengthening Collections: Develop collections plan to support Institution-wide initiatives
      Organizational Excellence: Strengthen organizational services that allow us to deliver on our mission
      Measuring Performance: Establish performance indicators that will specifically and annually measure progress toward our goals