8465Re: [alt-ed-india] Re: Growing Up in a Multi-Cultural Learning Environment

  • Rashmie Jaaju
    Jul 5 9:43 AM
      Padma,
      Thank you for this book recommendation. And, yes, you are so right - it definitely is important to plant the seed of Universal Brotherhood early on. Books, music, interaction, post card exchange, museum visits - there are some meaningfulness (and fun, and interesting) ways to embrace this idea...

      I looked up for this book on flipkart and it's available. I'm going to order it right away.

      Cheers,
      Rashmie
      http://blog.gorgeouskarma.com

      On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM, adiyendasi <prt108.cj@...> wrote:

      In May my husband bought God's Dream by Archbishop Desmond Tutu for our kids and already this was the pick for two birthday presents in June.

      I would highly recommend this book to any parent/teacher to read to children under their care. There was a lump in my throat as I read it to my children, it really is a very sweet book advocating Universal Brotherhood. I think it is important for children to get that idea very early. The illustrations in the book are very beautiful.

      Here is a link to God's Dream -

      http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Dream-Archbishop-Desmond-Tutu/dp/0763633887

      Warmly,
      Padma

      --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, Nagesh Kolagani <nagesh333@...> wrote:

      > The NCERT books are highly superior, and obviously some very good
      > minds have gone into it.
      >
      > Even the learning levels are adjusted to what a child can actually
      > grasp at that age, and there is no overload. The social studies books
      > are excellent.
      >
      > Unfortunately gearing teachers to deal with such books is the uphill
      > task in our country - and the best material can be reduced to rote
      > learning. Guess that will take some time.
      >
      > Aparna
      >
      > On 7/4/11, lotus <paravinda@...> wrote:
      > > --- In alt-ed-india@yahoogroups.com, "Rashmie" <rashmiejaaju@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> An excerpt from the article:
      > >> "Considering how multi-cultural interaction can enrich, I, as a parent
      > >> to a 5.5 year old, don't see our schools really doing much to encourage
      > >> a multi-cultural learning environment. At least, not much here in India.
      > >
      > > NCERT textbooks reflect India's diversity better than any of the other
      > > textbooks I have surveyed in India. The illustrations, children's names,
      > > drawings and activities show girls and boys from different regions,
      > > cultures, and urban / rural (and even adivasi) settings.
      > >
      > > In contrast, in many other books you will find glaring stereotypes of
      > > gender, colour and very little attention to rural life. Even in books
      > > published for rural schools I have seen that, for example, the kitchen looks
      > > nothing like a rural kitchen. The skin of all the people is almost white or
      > > very light pink or tan, unless, for example a story features a daku or some
      > > other suspicious character, typically drawn in darker brown. And the
      > > majority of the people given in the examples will be male. When girls and
      > > women appear they are often performing household chores, rarely playing ball
      > > or even catching a bus. Why?
      > >
      > > Some people will say, "well they did not mean to show one gender, or one
      > > caste, or one community more than any other. It was not conscious." Why
      > > does it then come so naturally, without making any conscious effort to show
      > > the sun-deprived urban male as the default character, and women / dark skin
      > > / rural person only when seeking to depict something about such people?
      > >
      > > To recognize the diversity among and within cultures, the efforts of
      > > individuals to overcome bias and stereotypes, to be simple humans by default
      > > is something that our multicultural environments give us potential to do. I
      > > can see this effort in the NCERT books such as Rhimjim, Aas-Paas,
      > > Mathmagic, Looking Around. (example -
      > > http://www.books4u.in/books/ncert-textbook-in-hindi-for-class-4-environmental-studies--aas-paas-1913)

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic