[aloha-donblanding] Re: The Double Life--Just A Thought to add.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2000
      I thought the poem The Double Life, alluded to DB's quandry and conflict
      between needing to wander and needing to settle down. What he wanted,
      (settling down) conflicted with what he did (wander). I guess thats an age
      old problem. You see, I did the opposite of DB, I settled down, but always
      had a hankering to wander and thus the attraction of DB because he fulfilled
      my wandering by allowing me to be a voyeur into his wandering world. I can
      see DB's poetry going through passages of time, experience and maturity that
      influenced his poetry and style. I wondered how or if he maintained any long
      term relationships, marriages, friendships and such. It seemed like a
      private world where a voyeur was not suppose to be. Don't ask, don't tell,
      don't see. Only those participating knew its reality.
      Then I think of other possibilities of the The Double Life and the path
      it might lead me down. It must have been tough being gay in that era. It
      was truely a hidden lifestyle where only glimpses and suppositions were
      allowed. The Newspaper press was not as open and aggressive as it is now, I
      would assume. The information age was not yet upon us (like we are using
      right now). My assumptions lead me down the The Double Life gay/straight
      path, not necessarily what DB wrote. How much I want to read into the poem
      is probably influenced by what I might want to believe about DB. Today's
      verbage is awash with double life "stuff". I guess I just don't know. That
      is the trial and tribulation of poetry and why I like it. There are hidden
      meanings, but alas, they are often our own. And yes sometimes, a banana is
      just a banana.