Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: questions

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30 5:21 PM
      Jim,
      Who is Grace Callahan and how is she connected to Edythe Geene?

      Keith,
      Do we know if Mildred Maloney is still alive or are members of her family
      around to talk with?
    • Keith Emmons
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30 6:36 PM
        Bev,

        I don't know if Mildred Maloney is still alive or not. She would have
        to be in her late 80's... which leaves the possibility open.

        Some things that Mildred taught us from her thesis:

        1. Blanding spent a year as Head of the Rockford, Illinois Art Guild
        after his discharge from Camp Grant. There might be
        records/photos/letters from this period.

        2. The house/studio that Blanding rented in New York in 1928-29 was
        once occupied by Duncan Phyfe, the cabinetmaker. Surely there are
        records of this, and we can determine the address.

        3. Blanding's Hollywood studio was in the Highland Hotel, which may
        be the Highland Gardens Hotel, presently located at 7047 Franklin
        Avenue, Hollywood. This room is also described in the Carmel Pine
        Cone by Hawaiian actress Mamo Clark.

        4. The identity of the Rowdy Duchess, which I will keep secret in
        case anyone is waiting to read it for themselves. I've never heard of
        her in any case.

        5. Laura Levering introduced Don Blanding to the art world in 1928.
        Who is she... We'll have to look her up in the N.Y. Times name index.

        6. It mentions the famous dancer Ruth St. Dennis, who danced
        her "Pele Dance, to the Volcano Goddess" before Blanding's scenery.
        Where was this staged, and did Blanding design other sets?

        7. We learned that Caledonia Abernathy (from several of Blanding's
        poems) was in fact a real person... a black maid from his childhood.

        These are all great clues that we should pursue. What do you guys
        think? Anyone game... I'll see what I can do from my end.

        ~Keith
      • Jim Whiteley
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2000
          Bev,
          I'm afraid I have know very little about Dr. Grace Callahan. She did
          have at least one poem published in the American Bard (I just
          happened across it and have not had the time to go through others).
          At the time of the donation she was living at 1154 Ogden.
          Jim
          --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Beverly Leinbach"

          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2000
            The Ogden address is where DB sent a letter in 54.
            Aloha, Dean
          • Beverly Leinbach
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2000
              Jim,
              Ogden, what city and state?
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2000
                Bev...
                We're talking about 1154 Ogden Drive in Hollywood, CA. That's the
                address I have on a 1950 letter to the literary clip service (on my
                website).

                Jim refers to the address as being that of Edythe Genee or Grace
                Callahan ... when?

                By the way, thanks to Dean, I now have 7 Polaroid pix of the house
                still at that address amid apartment buildings. A wonderful little
                1920s bungalow with charming garden, white picket fence and flower-
                laden trellis.

                Now to figure out how to get them scanned!

                ~~Cadia
              • Beverly Leinbach
                Message 7 of 17 , May 3, 2000
                  Cadia,
                  Can you copy the Vernon Kiln/ Don Blanding dishes in color rather than
                  black and white? I'll be happy to pay any expenses for them along with the
                  great thesis you already sent to me.
                • Beverly Leinbach
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 3, 2000
                    Cadia, Jim,
                    Were they all living there together? How big is this bungalow anyway.
                    Wasn't Edythe with DB when he died? Just wondering.
                    Bev.

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 3, 2000
                      Found out where the Blanding lecture flyer was from:

                      Hennepin Avenue Methodist Church
                      511 Groveland Ave. at Lyndale
                      Minneapolis, MN 55403

                      He was there Wednesday, March 6, 1940

                      Also, the only thing I could find on Grace Callahan:

                      "Flowers by the Highway, and other poems"
                      by Grace Nottleson Callahan
                      Los Angeles, 1930

                      (If it's the same person)

                      Do you think her and Edythe moved in after Don's death?
                      Maybe edythe inherited the house.

                      -Keith
                    • Beverly Leinbach
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 3, 2000
                        Dean,
                        Are you doing more research on the Ogden House? Maybe you can find out
                        who has owned this house since 1930's. Maybe Grace Callahan has always been
                        the owner, and DB just was a visitor.
                        Bev.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 3, 2000
                          It's in Hollywood, CA---where Don stayed once. I sent photos of house to
                          Cadia.
                          Aloha, Dean
                        • Beverly Leinbach
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
                            --- In aloha-donblanding@egroups.com, "Keith Emmons"
                            <keith2draw@e...> wrote:
                            > Bev,

                            > Some things that Mildred taught us from her thesis:
                            >
                            > 1. Blanding spent a year as Head of the Rockford, Illinois Art
                            Guild
                            > after his discharge from Camp Grant. There might be
                            > records/photos/letters from this period.

                            Did we find anything about DB's Head of Rockford, Ill. Art
                            Guild...Dates,etc.?

                            > 3. Blanding's Hollywood studio was in the Highland Hotel, which may
                            > be the Highland Gardens Hotel, presently located at 7047 Franklin
                            > Avenue, Hollywood. This room is also described in the Carmel Pine
                            > Cone by Hawaiian actress Mamo Clark.

                            Maui Tom,
                            Did you ever check with Desoto Brown to see if it is Mamo
                            Clark that still comes back to Hawaii from Florida to do
                            presentations with Him?

                            > 6. It mentions the famous dancer Ruth St. Dennis, who danced
                            > her "Pele Dance, to the Volcano Goddess" before Blanding's scenery.
                            > Where was this staged, and did Blanding design other sets?

                            Maui Tom,
                            Did your Mom remember if this was a production of the Honolulu
                            Jr. League and when?

                            Bev.
                          • Jim Whiteley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
                              Bev,

                              From "Hawaii Says Aloha" 4/7/56 4th in a series of ten
                              (I believe this was for the Star-Bulletin. Since this is from a type
                              written copy, the date may be when he wrote it, not when it was
                              published):

                              "Reg Correthers, whom many Kamaaians will remember as a producer of
                              beautiful pageants and shows back around 1912-1916, and myself stayed
                              on in Rockford, Ill after being discharged as Second Lieutenants from
                              Camp Grant after the First World War. He taught in a school, and I
                              took the job of Director of the Art Guild there."

                              His discharge is dated 12/3/18. The New York Time (6/10/57) states
                              that he went to Europe to study art in 1919. That may not have left
                              him a year in Rockford.
                              Do we have the dates he was in Europe?

                              Jim

                              > > Some things that Mildred taught us from her thesis:
                              > >
                              > > 1. Blanding spent a year as Head of the Rockford, Illinois Art
                              > Guild
                              > > after his discharge from Camp Grant. There might be
                              > > records/photos/letters from this period.
                              > >
                              > Did we find anything about DB's Head of Rockford, Ill. Art
                              > Guild...Dates,etc.?

                            • Keith Emmons
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
                                Bev, I can answer some of your questions.

                                I have been in contact with the current head of the Rockford Art
                                Guild. She has looked up some info for me (she didn't even know who
                                he was) and came up with some interesting stuff. She obtained Don's
                                address from the 1919 phone book...it was above a lawyer's office. He
                                also taught a course at the Rockford College in "illustrative
                                techniques" I believe (I'm at work, so I don't have the facts in
                                front of me.) She has not found any reference to his being the head
                                of the art league yet. I sent her a copy of 'Vagabond's House' for
                                her troubles....She loved it! (another fan)

                                Mamo Clark died in 1983 I believe...again my facts are at home.

                                In a book on Ruth St. Denis that I leafed through at the library, it
                                said that 'The Dance of Pele' was performed in Japan in 1925, when
                                she toured there. The author was surmising where Ruth got the idea
                                from...I think she performed the play just before or just after
                                Japan, and Blanding designed the set. We may find out the answer in
                                Ruth's diaries or journals.

                                KEITH
                              • Keith Emmons
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 3, 2000
                                  Jim,
                                  Maybe he left for Europe at the end of 1919...that would be a year.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 23, 2002
                                    Someone out of the blue sent me some scans of some typed Blanding
                                    postcards which reveal some interesting new clues.

                                    In one card, he mentions that he has a friend in Ann Arbor, Michigan
                                    named Donald Curtis May. He also gives the address. I had been
                                    looking for Don May in vain for awhile (too common of a name.) With
                                    these few clues I was able to finally locate him in the Social
                                    Security Death Index: Donald May, b. June 24, 1889, d. July 1971 in
                                    Ann Arbor.

                                    Blanding of course wrote a poem entitled TO DON MAY in Vagabond's
                                    House which described their mountain climbing adventures in 1913
                                    Bend, Oregon. I will now try to locate Don May's family.

                                    In another card (1946) he mentions a friend named Sam Maddux, who's
                                    mother was one of his childhood teachers in Lawton, Oklahoma. He also
                                    states in this card that he recorded a year's worth of fifteen-minute
                                    spots for his Castle Card radio program...quite interesting. He says
                                    that he has come to loathe his lecture tours, and is hoping to give
                                    them up.

                                    He mentions living at the Roosevelt Hotel, and eating most of his
                                    dinners at the Cinegrill, the hotel's restaurant (which still exists)
                                    - He liked to eat marinated herring.

                                    ~~Keith
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 22, 2003
                                      In 1933 Blanding wrote the poem "Let Us Dream," which was also the
                                      title of the book
                                      the poem appears in. The poem was dedicated to Laura Levering, who I
                                      believe was
                                      also mentioned in the Maloney thesis as the person who introduced
                                      Blanding to the
                                      NYC art scene in 1928.

                                      I got an email a few years ago from someone who owned a letter
                                      written by Blanding
                                      to Laura Levering, but unfortunately, I lost contact with this person
                                      before I could
                                      obtain a copy of the letter. Too bad, as it might have shed some
                                      light on Don's NYC
                                      years, a fuzzy period in my research.

                                      Today I came across an obituary for Laura in the New York Times...she
                                      died on Dec.
                                      23, 1964 in Greewich, Conn. Through that I tracked down her son
                                      Walter, who is still
                                      alive and Living in NYC at the age of 98. He didn't know or remember
                                      Blandinng, but
                                      will ask around the family to see if any of them did.

                                      Walter is the oldest living member of the 1933 Yale football team, a
                                      former Wall
                                      Street Stock Broker, and an arctic explorer...a very interesting man.