[aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding/Carmel by the Sea

  • bevbach@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2000
      We will be going to Carmel in Marchand I am trying to gather
      Information on DB while their. We will stay at the Vagabonds House
      Inn. They claim DB use to live there when in Carmel. They also have a
      number of his books to read while their.

      We will also check out the Harrison Memorial Park Branch Libraby.
      They have copies of the Pine Cone news that DB wrote and said one can
      copy them at $1.00 a page.....so we'll check that out too.

      Any other places to check out, or people to check with while their?

      Also, I understand that there is fabric that was used for the DB
      Aloha shirts. Where can i find out more about this?

      Bev.
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2000
        Beverly

        There is an DB aloha shirt on display at the Hula Moons Restaurant at the
        Outrigger Hotel Wailea on maui

        aloha
        TOm
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 24, 2000
          I will be going to stay at the Vagabond House in Carmel in Feb. I will tell
          you more when I get back from my stay.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 24, 2000
            Tom, Bev and all....

            Lucky you! I have never been to the Monterey Peninsula and keep
            telling myself I'll do it....

            I do have a contact there who is related (distantly) to DB. Let me
            see if I can persuade this person to meet you "visiting firemen." No
            promises....

            It was in his Carmel studio that Blanding designed the 10 dinnerware
            patterns for Vernon Kilns in 1938.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 24, 2000
              To Cadia. Someday when you come this way you'll copycat old DB and bum a
              room, a house, a meal and then travel on. You are welcome at my humble abode
              if you should choose to come this way. My meals are simple, but my wife is a
              great cook...I will report on Carmel and the Vagabond House. There may be
              another contact there, a woman in her 80's that owned the Vagabond House when
              DB was there. I am trying to get in touch with her now. We'll see what's up
              and if I can make any headway with additional information. Always a treasure
              out there waiting to be discovered you know...Carmel by The Sea and the
              17mile drive is truely spectactular. The surrounding area of Monterey and
              Big Sur are equal to any area I have been to. The current print on ebay at
              $750 is a tree on the 17 mile drive that is still an attraction today.
            • Beverly Leinbach
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2000
                Cadia,

                Have you made contact with your friend in Carmel, as I would love to talk
                with them.
                Bev.

                From: "Cadia Los" <duchess@...>
                To: aloha-donblanding@...
                Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Don Blanding/Carmel by the Sea
                Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:19:23 -0800

                Tom, Bev and all....

                Lucky you! I have never been to the Monterey Peninsula and keep
                telling myself I'll do it....

                I do have a contact there who is related (distantly) to DB. Let me
                see if I can persuade this person to meet you "visiting firemen." No
                promises....

                It was in his Carmel studio that Blanding designed the 10 dinnerware
                patterns for Vernon Kilns in 1938.

                For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                digital camera.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/337/2/_/286501/_/948763876/

                -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=aloha-donblanding&m=1

              • Beverly Leinbach
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 26, 2000
                  Cadia,

                  TJ was not able to contact your friend in Carmel. If you send me the
                  information, Hal and I will try in March while there.

                  Bev.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                    Czdia,

                    Can I get your friends name, etc. before I leave 3/17?
                    Bev.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                      For Cadia: tj emailed Bev the email address and name of your contact outside
                      of Carmel. Also, Arleen, from the Carmel Library has mailed my material from
                      the Pine Cone and some other material. I should get it this week and be able
                      to go thru it. Cadia, if you email me personally and give me a mailing
                      address, I will copy off what I receive and send it to you.

                      tj
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                        TJ,

                        Thanks...I thought I had sent that info to you both, a long time ago.
                        Bev, I was not ignoring your request, just swamped with e-mail and many
                        chores. I was in Portland for 4 days, and have slowly been recovering
                        from either the flu or a bad cold. Not sure which, but several doses
                        of chicken soup have helped!

                        BTW, at Expo, not a Blanding book in sight! I asked every bookseller
                        as I tramped through 3 acres of stuff. But, a friend of a friend did
                        sell 3 or 4 large -- 16x20? -- Mundorff prints (the ones found in "An
                        Old Hawaiian Garden"). They went fast!

                        My pals Dennis and Mike had side-by-side double booths filled with
                        pottery - lots of HTF Vernon Kilns including Blanding designs. Also, a
                        set of Rockwell Kent's blue Moby Dick...I bought one 6" plate to add to
                        my vintage advertising display. Next time out for that display is the
                        glass show in Hillsboro, Oregon, March 25-26. I always feature my
                        Blanding/Kent ads, along with examples of Coral Reef and Hawaiian
                        Flowers, and now Moby Dick.

                        ~~Cadia
                      • MauiBandB@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                          CADIA

                          We are always interested in Mundorf prints from My Old Hawaiian Garden. If
                          you hear of anymore let me know.

                          aloha
                          Maui Tom
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                            Tj had his second computer tutor class tonight. I uploaded a 1935 photo of
                            DB. It came out a bit larger than I thought it would, but it looks good.
                            The photo is is signed by DB and is to a Phil Schuler or Schuber. I've not
                            heard of a Phil Schuber. Any info about him out there? I do like DB's
                            attire and necklace, he's rather dapper...
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                              Yeah, TJ...

                              We'll get you computerized yet! This is a great photo! Where did you
                              find it?

                              I did send the image through Photopoint to resize it and lighten the
                              load time. You might want to open a free Photopoint account, so you'll
                              have a place to edit images. You can then store them on Photopoint and
                              provide a link to a Blanding album, or upload (at many fewer KB's) to
                              our vault.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
                                ti's photo was a ebay find for me. I thought it captured the DB that I had
                                imagined. He has all his finery on, the hat, scarf, necklace, etc. Now I
                                need to find out who he inscribed it to and what meaning there was. It
                                seemed like a special photo, not a run of the mill one. I have one other
                                photo that appears to be DB in his early 50's that I got along with a
                                Talisman greeting card (I'll upload this also). The photo is very plain but
                                I'll upload it later. I hadn't heard of Photo point before. I'll get my
                                tutor on it with me, otherwise there's trouble.