[aloha-donblanding] Re: Good stuff in the vault!

  • Bill McMurray
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29 6:07 AM
      Good morning, one and all,
      It does seem that some of our regulars have developed 'writer's block' or
      something similar so I've been taking the time to explore the vault more
      than I've done in the past.
      For the benefit particularly of new members, but also for any of the
      others who have not visited all the pages, or got easily discouraged after
      going to a few pages only to find that there were no files there, here are
      the book reviews that are actually listed now:
      Vagabond's House 1 review
      Hula Moons 3 reviews

      There is a posting for "Leaves From a Grass House" but I can only see
      coded gibberish. (Cadia, could you check that out?) There will be more
      reviews uploaded in the not to distant future, namely for "Songs of the
      Seven Senses," which I have just sent to Cadia.

      In the "photos" section there are nice photos from Bend, Oregon and the
      one that Bev just supplied from Carmel, Cal.. Don't miss it. It's great.
      And don't miss the Photo point section . But don't be discouraged about
      going to pages that are listed but have no postings. This is still a work
      in progress, and, if I may paraphrase a famous poem, "no doubt, the SITE is
      unfolding as it should."

      Cadia has undertaken a massive project here, she has laid out a terrific
      "floor plan", and in only
      2 !/2 months there is an incredible amount of information to be found
      here, not only in the vault, but in all the sections of the site.

      Well, that's all I have to say for now. Happy hunting!!!

      Bill

      ----------

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29 7:06 AM
        From tj: As time permits, I had an extra copy of the Pine Cone made for me
        and I am going through it and cutting out information that I will be copying
        at work and then scanning and sending to the vault. The Pine Cone itself was
        too big to mess with so I take it to work and copy what I need. I will try
        to put all information into the right spots but if Cadia wants to move it
        around, I wouldn't care. There are book reviews from this period in the Pine
        Cone that are quite interesting to read. I have some other information also,
        but will go through it after I finish the Pine Cone uploading. Bev also has
        a lot of the same info I have from the Carmel Pine Cone.
        I have been emailing back and forth with the Pine Cone again. I'm
        asking to get into their vault but have met a lot of resistance. I have the
        Editors phone number now and we are going to have a conversation that I hope
        will be productive. I do want to produce an article for the current modern
        Pine Cone and at the same time run an ad for "Anyone Out There Remember Don
        Blanding" if so, contact me and I will put in the egroup address if that OK
        with Cadia. I was sort of hoping that I might be able to recreate the actual
        DB Pine Cone as some kind of Special Edition on Don Blanding and link it to
        the history of Carmel and the Heritage Society and Kay Prine's friends.
        There needs to be some kind of "activist" (Oh no, going back to my Berkeley,
        60's days) movement in Carmel to perhaps designate DB's vagabond house as a
        "Historical Site" and thus free from demolition, etc. That is part of my
        goal with my efforts with the Pine Cone. And so, tj has been quiet but
        planning out other adventures with Carmel. At some point if their is any
        interest in Carmel to preserve DB's home, we may have to ban together as a
        group and petition the Mayor, etc. They need to know that this is not just
        one persons interest. And so, I now go to work.....
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29 8:02 PM
          TJ...

          In the vault is a Publications folder; inside that is a Carmel Pine
          Cone folder, and inside that is a March 5, 1937 folder. I suggest
          using that for most anything from that edition. But you may want to
          place book reviews in the Book Reviews/Comments section in the folders
          for specific books. It's time-consuming to move items, so please let
          me know if you have questions about where something should go. You can
          always create more folders and sub-folders, but I'd like to keep things
          as organized as possible. By the way, the vault has only 20 MG of
          space, and we can't get any more, so please keep scanned images as
          compact as possible.

          Thanks for the heads-up about the Leaves from a Grass-House entry in
          the vault. It's an HTML file ...not sure who uploaded it, but I recall
          asking for the material from Jean's auction because it provides such a
          good explanation of the various editions.

          I'll see what I can do to salvage the item. I think I can copy into my
          Speakeasy HTML file and create a webpage, then upload to the vault.
          The book reviews are done that way, because I discovered that uploading
          from my word processor (Microsoft Works) generates a "working file"
          background that shows margins and headers and all that junk.

          Thanks for all your efforts!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29 8:23 PM
            tj will work with his computer tutor on uploading. Right now, I'm just
            getting things ready to scan, etc. I will attempt to organize it and keep it
            as compact as possible. I will also give you a heads up when I do start this
            process. I don't expect to do much until next week or the week after.
            Thanks for the info.....
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2000
              From tj, hey its lonely out here in Blandingland when we can't access our
              site....I didn't know how much I went in there until this weekend.....My
              daughter does landscaping in Marin County and says there is a Blanding lane
              and an old house called the Blanding house. She didn't know much more than
              that but will check it out for me. A .com'er has purchased the property but
              the city wouldn't let him tear down the old house as it has some historical
              value....Maybe DB was in Inverness and surrounding areas more than we knew
              about? Anyone out there have any other info? I'm going through all of my
              books right now looking for poetry that might fit the Marin County area,
              Inverness, etc. Anyone have any quick leads?
            • Kermit Slobb
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5 6:58 AM
                Hi, Donnelle. McNeill died in 1956, May 7. Know because my son died the
                day after, May 8, 1956.
                In haste, best regards,
                Kermit