[aloha-donblanding] The Picture Bridge

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2000
      The Picture Bridge,Huntington Hotel

      March 4,0000,

      Seems a long time ago. Wanted to tell you all about our trip to the
      Picture Bridge. Told you about the Glendale Library, where DB is considered
      a Local Artist and his Books are Locked up in the History Library.

      We also visited the Rits Carlton Huntington Hotel, So. Pasadena. It was
      built in 1906 by General Marshall Wentworth. Owned by Henry
      Huntington (1911-1918) where it got its name. He was a Rail road baron and
      his home is now the Huntington Library in the next city......another great,
      all day place to visit. Anyway, the redwood bridge has been their since
      1914.

      In 1932, Steven Royce (owner-manager for 40 years) had Frank Moore
      add Murals of Calif. scenes to the bridges twenty gables...41 scenes, that
      are still there today.
      DB "visited him after the completion of the bridge murals....He was
      inspired to write accompanying verses, which how appear near most of the
      scenes on the Picture Bridge."

      This puts DB in So. Pasadena/L.A. In 1932.

      The Picture Bridge booklet is available in the Gift Shop in the Hotel for
      $10.00. Fax: (626)568-3700
      Retail Phone: (626) 568-3900 ext.3792

      They also have a history of the hotel that mentions DB...$30.00.

      Great place to visit. Food good and pleasant to look at. Will try to
      post pictures we took when back in Calif.