[aloha-donblanding] Favorite poem

  • AhrSea@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 1:44 PM
      Of course, the Vagabond's House is a truly exquisite piece of work that
      speaks to the heart of so many of Don's admirers, but as for me, who is a
      New Englander who has never viewed the delights of Hawaii, and only briefly
      been enchanted by the charms of the Pacific coast, the poem that has always
      spoken to me is found in Drifter's Gold called "Devil's Wind" (on the
      prairie). It seems to speak to me of the essence of autumn nights, and
      especially Hallowe'en. I enjoy reciting it to friends on October nights,
      evoking the ancient spirits that haunt the twisting streets of an old New
      England town, even though for DB it was the ghosts in his Midwestern
      experience that prompted him to paint this dark and creepy word picture. I
      hope some of you will look it up and shiver along with me.
      Even though I have little to contribute, having come late to the admiration
      of the great DB, I have enjoyed very much your email chatter about him. It
      has driven me back to my three little books of poems that I cherish for their
      lovely lyrics, and leaves me sad that his career ended so soon and hungry for
      more of DB's graceful lines.