[aloha-donblanding] Re: Virgin of Waikiki

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2000
      I think the information that has been found re The Virgin of Waikiki
      demonstrates one of the real problems when doing research on the
      writings of a poet! What constitutes a "First Edition"? Two of you
      have editions that were printed before 1933 -- yet 1933 is cited in the
      RIT copy as the First edition pub in Hawaii, limited to 100 copies bound
      in Tapa Cloth. The listing I found on the web cites the 1933 Tapa Cloth
      volume AND a first commericial release also in 1933 pbl by H.M. Snyder.
      But there they are - two earlier editions! Were these private
      editions? Published by the author? Circulated only to friends?

      Regarding the envelope on the one edition. It's been a while since I
      have examined the copy in the RIT library, but I remember that there was
      some kind of device included in the book that kept the last page hidden
      until the reader had read the rest of the book. Apparently DB felt it
      was important to prevent the reader from accidentally seeing the
      punchline before reading the rest of the story. Perhaps the envelop
      fits over the last page some way, hiding the punchline until the story
      had been read?

      Jerry
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2000
        The true "first edition" of The Virgin of Waikiki is "by Don" -- no
        surname. I believe this was a private printing in 1926. I have seen
        at least one copy of this version come up on eBay...unfortunately, I
        did not win the auction! The cover clearly showed "by Don."

        Another edition dates from either 1929 or 1930 (sources vary), and the
        Butler edition is from 1933. The latter is as common as dirt, though
        having a just jacket is a big plus.

        ~~Cadia
      • Donnelle Evans
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
          re virgin of waikiki
          My version, 1933 has a envelope, same color as the dust cover, with the last
          pages inserted in to it. The cover reads: "For sundry reasons the
          astonishing consummation of the ballad must be withheld, temporarily only_we
          hope_from the further enjoyment of the reader."

          aloha, Donnelle

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2000
            tj says to Donnelle, thanks for the tip on the envelope with the Virgin. My
            envelope was loose and I wasn't sure what to do with it or what was in it.
            Great marketing idea...I wonder if DB thought of that ploy or if some
            publisher was the culprit.....
          • Nelson Black
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
              Keith: Thanks for the detailed response. I have the first, printed for the
              Wampas Club. A few hundred printed sounds right to me. So for insurance
              purposes, what would you guess....about $50-75? Decent shape, I would say
              good to very good.
              Some pin holes in the front leaf and minor rubbing on the title page. "her
              smile was beatific."

              Seems to me with your knowledge of Blanding you should do a bibliography, if
              you have not done so already. Did he end up in California? I understand
              bookstores in Hawaii bring his things in from the states. I remember the
              one decent used book store in Honolulu had a fair size batch of his things
              for sale. The owner seemed fairly knowledgable.

              Nelson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
                Hard to say what the value would be on a true first edition of the
                Virgin. I have a copy of my own and I wouldn't sell it for anything.
                I'd say closer to $120-$150...but maybe that's just me.

                I made a mistake on the color of the second edition (David Graham
                Fischer edition) as I was working from memory. It is actually
                burgundy...not olive, and it has gold ink.

                Can I ask you if your copy has an owner's name in it? I'm trying to
                compile a list of members of the WAMPAS group.

                I do have a few Blanding bibliographies. One is on this site in the
                files section (top of the list)...and the other is on my Blanding
                website: http://www.don-blanding.com/works.htm

                Although it's not as complete as I'd like it...a work in progress.

                Keith
              • Nelson Black
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8, 2001
                  Keith: Nope, no owners name. I bought it from the Jack London Bookstore
                  in Glen Ellen. She has been in the business a long time and has a good
                  memory. She bought a lot of Blandings several years ago and may remember
                  the owner. Long shot but worth a try. I know your bibliographers are
                  serious cats. I remember meeting the man who did an Art Tatum bibliography.
                  He spent an astounding amount of time to get the date of a concert right.
                  As the old saw goes, someone has to do it.

                  Did Blanding end up in California? He certainly hit the circuit. My father
                  had (now mine) an inscribed copy of Today Is Here from Rotary in Santa Rosa
                  California in 1947....

                  Nelson

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                    tj has many copies also, but where/when was the one created with the Island
                    grass cover on it??? ........tj
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                      This isn't about the infamous Virgin but some info about
                      Chowchilla........There isn't any info on DB or Scotty yet, however, tj just
                      returned from a family reunion in Fresno...so, on the way home, tj stopped in
                      Chowchilla and handed out some flyers to the open antique shops, Senior
                      citizen center (well, it was open, unlike the rest of the town!). Out of
                      this, I found one shop owner that has a phone book from 1937 (she thinks) and
                      she will check out the Creager name to see if there was a listing and contact
                      me. I also obtained the names of some originals from the Chowchilla area now
                      in there 70's that might be leads. I have the name of the High School
                      Principal and will follow up with him on year books. The local newspaper
                      publishes once per week and has been in business for 87 years and who knows,
                      might have some archived articles, etc...(unless super slueth Keith has
                      already gone there)..one shop owner told me there was a flood in town and the
                      basement of the newspaper was flooded and much was lost...this happened in
                      Carmel also.......any connection to DB??? (smile)
                      There was absolutely no other action in this town of 6200 people. It
                      was Sunday and all 15 churches were full and nothing else was open....tj
                      found a small RV park however, and at least the Blandingmobile will have a
                      place of honor when tj follows up on any leads that might surface....if
                      any....we'll see.....Only one shop owner even heard of DB and of 4 open
                      shops, only 2 even knew of the Vernon Kilns work of DB.......there is a
                      Madera County Historical Society and I will follow up on that to see what if
                      anything might be known......the current coordinator of the Historical
                      society lives in Chowchilla and is original family to the area...we'll see
                      where this takes me.....also any other info on Scotty would be helpful.....
                      After a lay-off of 5 months of DB hunting due to family caretaking
                      issues, it felt good to get into the fray again, even if it was in
                      Chowchilla....believe me, this town is not growing at all.....Main St had
                      maybe 5 cars on it when I went through.....I can't see DB staying there for
                      long...hot, dusty and flat....not the environment that DB liked, for
                      sure.........keep you all posted on anything new..........tj
                    • allen@sawtelle.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                        Hey! We lived in Fresno for 20 years and I used an airplane mechanic in
                        Chochilla. Every been to Firebaugh? Wild place! The local call it
                        Fireball. What can I say? Allen

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                          Allen: We zipped by Firebaugh without thinking of it........didn't know it
                          was a "wild and wooly" place......Where would I go to when I go back? ..My
                          sister in law lives in Fresno and she is dating a pilot now...she is 61 and
                          he is 70......he went through WW2, etc.....we were talking about all of this
                          at the reunion but he had never heard of Uncle Don.....keep in
                          touch...........tj
                        • keith2draw@home.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                            tj...you're thinking of 'Leaves from a Grass-House'

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 10, 2001
                              Yes Keith, I knew that! (smile)....after I sent off the message I pulled out
                              my copy of Leaves..........and smiled......thanks.........tj
                            • allen@sawtelle.net
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                                No, he thought it was his idea. Allen