[aloha-donblanding] Re: New Purchase Questions

  • Gerald Argetsinger
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2000
      Gilan Menegat wrote:

      > I recently acquired a copy of The Virgin of Waikiki by DB that appears to be different from what is listed on the Don Blanding Bibliography Website. I was curious if anyone knows anything about this edition.
      >
      > It has a brown paper cover (leather-like look) and is tied together with a tassel. The publisher is David Graham Fischer Corporation, Hollywood, California, 1926. Any insights?
      >
      > GMM

      We have a 1933 edition in the Rare Book Collection here at RIT -- but is there because of a unique natural fiber binding. (I believe it is called Tapa Cloth) I always thought it must be a first edition -- so I
      was wrong there. NOTE - I just looked it up on the Web and the 1933 is listed as the "first edition pub in Hawaii - 100 copies bound in Tapa Cloth, issued commercially later that year in New York by H.M.
      Snyder. It looks as though you may have stumbled onto a privately printed edition that came out before it was "officially published" for commercial release.

      I do know that this "mild" torid love story was considered pretty "hot" in its day and was often sold under the counter along with such books as Dr. Suess's adult tale about the Six Lady Godiva's. Odd how times
      change. I don't think any of us would hesitate to share either of those two "naughty" stories with anyone these days!
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2000
        Re: Virgin of Waikiki editions: tj just looked at his one and only copy, it
        is hardbound red in color with a DJ showing a Hawaiin looking girl prancing
        maybe dancing next to the shore with a cat sitting by her observing her every
        action. The first copyright appears to be 1928, mine is 1933. It was
        printed at the Country Life Press, Garden City, N.Y.. My copy also had an
        envelope which is the same size as the book itself that appears to be a
        separate enclosure. The inscription on the envelope says:

        "For sudry reasons the astonishing consummation of the ballad must be
        withheld temporarily only--we hope--from the further enjoyment of the
        reader."

        On the top left cornerof the envelope is an impish Cherub holding a
        guitar, on the bottom right is a devilish looking cherub holding a Ukelali
        (so it appears). These same cherub's are in the book itself.
        I'm not sure of the significance of the envelop yet. It had nothing in
        it. From the sounds of the inscription, I thought that maybe the envelope
        had a final entry for the book that was deemed secret or something. The
        envelope was definetely a part of the book itself. Are there any other
        envelope's out there??? Now I'm really curious as to how many different
        versions of the Virgin there are.