[aloha-donblanding] Re: A question for the group

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5 10:04 AM
      tj is in the middle of budgets at work and after being on computers all
      day...they lose their appeal at nite.....I'll get back into the swing of
      things in about two weeks. I'm also waiting for the Carmel Pine Cone
      newpaper that is being copied for me....it had a lot of interesting tid-bits
      in it that would stimulate some discussion.....off to my Sunday workfest.....
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5 12:07 PM
        My favorite lines i love are:

        "Oh, you'll never know Hawai'i...
        Til you've hung every garment on a big Kamani Tree
        and have felt the foaming surf about your knees
        Til you've plunged into the breakers with a cry of pagan glee
        In a bathing suit of moonlight and a breeze..."

        I think Larry can relate!

        I like the lines of Baby street

        and "one finga poi!"

        Or his appreciation for the Mokihana lei that
        was more precious than pearls and would "twine his heart forever"

        I enjoy the way he captured the Hawai'i of old so perfectly so
        understandingly and so beautifully in words.

        aloha
        Maui tom
      • Beverly Leinbach
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5 4:59 PM
          Aloha,
          Because of Dave Ballards' reading DB over KIXI in Seattle......I would have
          to say the Vagabond's House is my first favorite. I always could see my
          things around my Vagabond house as he would read the words.
          My second, so far, is the Spun Glass Ship........it always makes me cry
          and I don't know why, but does.
        • Beverly Leinbach
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5 5:23 PM
            Maui Tom,
            Have you ever heard/read: Mele of Yesterday's Men?

            Reason:
            Hal and I had a fun and busy day yesterday. To start off, we went to the
            Glendale Library and got the 33 1/3 record...I Remember Blanding,
            as Narrated by Paul Page and his Paradise Music, with special guest poet and
            narrator Edythe Hope Genee'.
            The above title is the last recording and states it is a chant but I don't
            know if DB wrote it or not. In the recording they say when it is something
            Paul Page or Edythe Genee' has composed.
            I have it copied on tape if anyone wants a copy........it has Hawaiian
            music background. I think Dave Ballard must have heard it as his tape is
            similar but with more feeling.
            SIDE ONE:
            Leaves From My Grass House
            Bright Ecstacy
            Maui Chimes (Sam Koki,steel guitar)(Poem by Paul Page)
            Where Now, Vagabond? (poem by Edythe Hope Genee')
            Vagabond's House
            SIDE TWO:
            The Meaning of ALOHA OE
            Leis for Remembrance
            Drums Mark The End
            Baby Street
            Glamour's Gone (Narration by Edythe Hope Genee')
            By Now
            Mele of Yesterday's Men (A chanted Story)

            There is a memo on the back from Paradise Music Corp. "Here is Blanding
            at his best, recorded by those who knew kim best".

          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5 7:09 PM
              Yes I like Mele of Yesterdays men. But as I remember it is about the mighty
              chiefs that have passed, and whose power is lost.

              I like the happy stuff appreciative of Hawai'i. But I am a romanticist

              thanks for sharing

              aloha
              Maui Tom
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5 7:35 PM
                Well Bev, tj would like a recording of DB's latest album you located. When I
                send you my copies of the Pine Cone, I'll include a tape, if you will.....I
                would be real interested in Edith Hope Genee's interpretation of DB's work...
                I did speak with Arleen at the Carmel Library but she had not gotten
                around to having the Pine Cone copied yet. Who know's it might be ready for
                pick-up when you get there on 3-17. I won't get there before then but will
                be going back to Carmel soon.
              • Gerald Argetsinger
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6 9:00 AM
                  My favorite Blanding poem is "Heart's Radar." I think the first
                  attraction is the family connection to the poem, that DB personally
                  noted to my father that it was written to remember Scotty, his Lone Wolf
                  partner, my father's roommate, and my own name sake. But before I knew
                  that, I knew of the poem because my mother read it often after my
                  father's death. Finally, I think that it is one of his most eloquent
                  poems. It is extremely well written, it touches the heart without
                  dipping into cheap sentimentalism, it is loving and it is uplifting.
                  When I am sometimes asked to speak at a funeral, I always read it; when
                  a friend experiences a death in the family, I always give them a copy.
                  It assuages the pain of grief and offers the hope of a better life in
                  the hereafter.

                  -- Jerry
                • Mary Repass-Friend
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7 4:48 PM
                    Jerry,
                    You did such a lovely job describing your favorite that I've just spent the
                    last 25 minutes looking for it.... unsuccessfully.

                    Help me out a little and remind me which book it is in?

                    One of my problems could be that every time I open a book I find things to
                    reread again and get distracted! .... Huh!

                    Help!
                    Thanks friend,
                    Mary in Florida "ys"

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7 5:13 PM
                      Opps, Obviously I was just catching up on DB mail. I should have been more
                      patient and read further.

                      Thanks Jerry for contributing some much appreciated "finger sweat" to the
                      group.

                      Mary in Floridays