[aloha-donblanding] Lots of images added to the Vault

  • Curt Blanding
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2000
      Aloha everybody,

      I have just unploaded a bunch of images to the vault.

      Several images of West of the Sunset and Brief Aprils books.

      Images of 8 different Vernon Kilns patterns.

      If you can't find them send me an email.

      Curt
    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2000
        Cadia,

        Thanks for the feedback about the photos.  Just for clarification, I don't actually
        own all of those pieces. I 'harvested' the images from various auctions on ebay
        over the last few months.  Whenever I see an interesting item being auctioned,
        I simply save the images to my hard disk.  I have recently 'harvested' quite a few
        more images of DB books which I can upload.  Do you think that I should create
        a separate folder for each book?  I have several images for each book already.

        Re: Leaves From A Grass-House.  I purchased that book from Jean Souza (Mandarin)
        recently (ebay auction number 264485797) and here is her explanation for the pagination-
        Leaves From A Grass House
        by Don Blanding �Published by Cross-Roads Studios,
        Printed by Honolulu Star-Bulletin Publishing Company, Copyright 1923 by Don Blanding.�
        I believe this copy to be a 1st Edition.

        This copy of Leaves From A Grass House is configured just slightly different than the
        standard copies, of which I am aware of there having been at least Nine printings. All
        others that I have seen are indeed Published by the Patton Company, Ltd. and specifically
        denote the �Edition� Number as a part of the copyright page information. I have personally
        handled a number of them and find these differences to be uniform.

        This Edition contains no Title Page. The first page after the fly page displays a graphic
        rendering of a coconut tree in island setting, Page 3. The copies I have been able to compare
        with contain a Title Page and this identical page with the coconut tree, is numbered Page 5.

        The copyright information is presented on Page 57 of this book, the page just before the
        rear fly page. The copies that I am able to compare with do not contain this page at the rear,
        nor do they include a rear fly page at all.

        The actual size of this book is very slightly larger. This copy is about the same height, but
        about 1/8� wider. The dust jacket measures 5 3/l6� x 7 1/8� with a fold over flap of 2 3/8�.
        The dust jacket of the copies I have to compare with measure 5� x 7� with a fold over flap of 1 5/16�.

        All other aspects of this Edition are identical to the later copies except that in this book,
        Page Numbering is started at 3 instead of 5, so all subsequent pages follow the same
        pattern of being 2 numbers less than the identical page in subsequently printed editions.

        Cover design by Jean Bernard Shiffer
        Decorations by A.S. Macleod
        Woodcut by John Poole

        :-)  Curt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2000
          Hi, Curt...

          Thanks so much for adding the DB illustrations and Vernon Kilns photos.
          You have some neat VK pieces!

          Since some groups members have seen only a bit of Blanding's work, it
          really helps to have some visuals.

          What printing is your Leaves from a Grass-House? The pagination is
          slightly different from my 7th printing from 1923.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2000
            Curt,So we have another photo "natcher!"In the Vault, you will find a folder labeled "Illustrations." A subfolder is called "Don Blanding." This is where DB illustrations should go. The title would include the book title and the illustration name, if there is one. There's also a Vernon Kilns folder, which you've discovered.I like your addition of the folder "Book Covers" -- which can be limited only to those and dust jackets. A folder for each book is not necessary. You'll note that I amended the "jpg" file names to descriptive titles. I don't know if you have the option of editing your entries; if not, that can be arranged.As for the miscellaneous title pages or dedication pages, perhaps these should have a separate folder?Do you have webspace, onto which you can copy Jean's very thorough explanation of the differences between Leaves from a Grass-House editions? Then you could create a mini webpage for it and upload to the vault. As I've done for the book reviews? If not, let me know and I'll do it.Thanks again for all the contributions!~~Cadia
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2000
              Curt,I have moved some of the images from "Book Covers" to "Illustrations - Don Blanding," and will do a few more tomorrow. In the process, I am editing images to eliminate extraneous material and resizing to reduce the number of KB's. Photopoint is very useful for modifying images.Since you have "borrowed" images from other sources without permission, we do have to be careful about using them. This is a sensitive issue among eBay sellers. I really don't want to be sued! But, by doing some minor cropping, I can make the images appear more generic, as if we had done the scans from books we own.The Memory Room composite may have to go. The file size is too large, the scan too identifiable. I tried to resize it but the clarity suffered. I've already uploaded that particular photo of DB, I have both cover and dust jacket images on Photopoint, and any of us who own the book can pull representative illustrations.Nonetheless, this is a great start. Eventually, we can acquire the best images and then retire the others.~~Cadia