[aloha-donblanding] Re: No Subject

  • Bill McMurray
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
      Bev,
      I must admit I've been more than just a little pensive since reading
      Gerry's very candid account of his family's connection to DB. I guess that
      deep down inside me I still carry some of those prejudices that were so
      widely accepted when and where I was growing up.
      That being said, I have evolved enough to accept that any man's, (or
      woman's) lifestyle does not in anyway diminish his/her contribution to the
      world, no matter in what area they made their mark. One of my boyhood heros
      was Hank Williams Sr., whose lifestyle brought him to a very early grave.

      But to stick to DB, and your comment about his love for Dorthy, I agree
      with you. I'm sure his love for her was genuine. But that does not preclude
      the possibility that his love for Scotty was also.

      You asked for comments.....those are mine.

      Bill

      ----------
    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
        Thanks Bill,

        DB's words to Dorothy were at the beginning of the book and probable are
        his feelings at the beginning of the life together. We have heard from 2
        sides that this all changed with time......as do many things. You are
        right, whatever else went on in DB's life, his words and art continue to
        touch us all.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
          from tj, does this conversation take us back to DB's poem, The Double Life.
          Seems to be present in all of DB's social engagements. Whatever DB was, he
          was, it doesn't detract from his art, his work, his existence, it was just
          him as a person perhaps struggling with the ever present question we all
          struggle with, "Who the hell am I"? Where do I belong? Do I or should I
          have some roots, a place of safety for myself? I think that DB's personal
          life is so difficult to unravel because of his personal secrets, things that
          in his day were not socially acceptable, he struggled with. tj
        • Mary Repass-Friend
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2000
            I agree with tj and I agree with Bev too.

            I wanted DB and his talents to be some genius, a supernatural sensitivy
            that surpassed ordinary man. And darn it, the more we learn about him
            the more human he becomes! I see a man emerging that was vulnerable,
            subject to hurt, pain, and human weakness.

            All you have to do is read one, any one, of his poems and see a man
            that had an incredible ability to love. He loved friends, family,
            mother, trees, flowers, earth, water, rain, wind, even dust and smoke,
            etc, etc, etc. He could become one with any part of life on earth..
            And make you see the beauty of it too!

            There is no doubt he shared and felt deep love for Dorthy and probably
            other women too. (Some of the richest kind of love isn't physical.) So
            big deal if he loved (a man) men? Love is love, and from what I've
            seen, there ain't enough in this world!

            When it all washes out his talents are still genius, the supernatural
            occurrence that surpass the ordinary man.

            Thanks Jerry for your enlightenment, it may have shocked a few of us,
            but oh well, BIG DEAL?

            Mary in Florida "ys"
          • Beverly Leinbach
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2000
              Bob Putnam,

              Just finished Whistled Like A Bird....how are you related to Dorothy? I
              don't remember reading your name in it.

              What year was DB mayor of FT. Pierce and for how long?

              Do you know what has happened to the Putnam house ...Rocknoll..in
              Rye,N.Y.? Do the Putnam's still own it and is the guest room on the first
              floor still painted the way DB did it many years ago?

              How are you related to Sally Putnam Chapman, and have you been to
              Immokolee, Ft. Pierce, where she now lives. If so, are DB's paintings still
              there that he did on the paneled doors in 1930. Or are those doors under
              the garage in the storage place where Sally found Dorothy's old kitchen
              table.

              Are all of DB's Ft. Pierce friends gone now or do people still remember
              him there.....other than the Putnam's?