[aloha-donblanding] No Subject

  • Beverly Leinbach
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2000
      Aloha,

      I was reading through Floridays this afternoon and read "To Dorothy
      'They People Shall Be My People". As the saying goes.....If this man didn't
      love this women, "I'll eat my hat."

      Any comments?
    • Gerald Argetsinger
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000

        Beverly Leinbach wrote:

        Aloha,

          I was reading through Floridays this afternoon and read "To Dorothy
        'They People Shall Be My People".  As the saying goes.....If this man didn't
        love this women, "I'll eat my hat."

          Any comments?
                Bev.

        Hi Bev --

        If nothing else -- Don was ALWAYS a gentleman.  He did not air his dirty laundry in public.  But the earlier reports from one of the other members of the group about what the Putnam family had to say after the divorce, together with the stories that are in my family, work together to indicate that when DB left Florida there was no love lost between Dorothy and DB.

        According to my mother, DB was miserable most of the time he was in Florida.  Dorothy wanted him "on her arm" at all of her societal and entertaining events, but she was very jealous of his work and always fought against his ever taking time to write or to promote himself.

        But it is obvious that DB earned his living by being an affable celebrity.  He KNEW how to play the game and he was expert at it.  Look how many of his available books are autographed -- look at how many people with which he maintained correspondance!  In today's vernacular, we would say that he could really "smooze,"  he was an expert at "working a room," he was a brilliant at "networking," and  he was always the ideal host.

        On the other hand, I'm sure that he and Dorothy were very close friends for many years and that there was shared love at the begining of their marriage.  But even an arranged marriage is difficult to maintain when neither partner is getting what they need, either personally or professionally, from the relationship.

        Just my thoughts -- I could be way off,
        Jerry

        Send money instantly to anyone with an email address!
        It's as easy as sending email and it's FREE -- only at X.com.
        Open an account today; It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1644/2/_/286501/_/951884611/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=aloha-donblanding&m=1

      • Bill McMurray
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
          Bev,
          I must admit I've been more than just a little pensive since reading
          Gerry's very candid account of his family's connection to DB. I guess that
          deep down inside me I still carry some of those prejudices that were so
          widely accepted when and where I was growing up.
          That being said, I have evolved enough to accept that any man's, (or
          woman's) lifestyle does not in anyway diminish his/her contribution to the
          world, no matter in what area they made their mark. One of my boyhood heros
          was Hank Williams Sr., whose lifestyle brought him to a very early grave.

          But to stick to DB, and your comment about his love for Dorthy, I agree
          with you. I'm sure his love for her was genuine. But that does not preclude
          the possibility that his love for Scotty was also.

          You asked for comments.....those are mine.

          Bill

          ----------
        • Beverly Leinbach
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
            Thanks Bill,

            DB's words to Dorothy were at the beginning of the book and probable are
            his feelings at the beginning of the life together. We have heard from 2
            sides that this all changed with time......as do many things. You are
            right, whatever else went on in DB's life, his words and art continue to
            touch us all.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
              from tj, does this conversation take us back to DB's poem, The Double Life.
              Seems to be present in all of DB's social engagements. Whatever DB was, he
              was, it doesn't detract from his art, his work, his existence, it was just
              him as a person perhaps struggling with the ever present question we all
              struggle with, "Who the hell am I"? Where do I belong? Do I or should I
              have some roots, a place of safety for myself? I think that DB's personal
              life is so difficult to unravel because of his personal secrets, things that
              in his day were not socially acceptable, he struggled with. tj
            • Mary Repass-Friend
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2000
                I agree with tj and I agree with Bev too.

                I wanted DB and his talents to be some genius, a supernatural sensitivy
                that surpassed ordinary man. And darn it, the more we learn about him
                the more human he becomes! I see a man emerging that was vulnerable,
                subject to hurt, pain, and human weakness.

                All you have to do is read one, any one, of his poems and see a man
                that had an incredible ability to love. He loved friends, family,
                mother, trees, flowers, earth, water, rain, wind, even dust and smoke,
                etc, etc, etc. He could become one with any part of life on earth..
                And make you see the beauty of it too!

                There is no doubt he shared and felt deep love for Dorthy and probably
                other women too. (Some of the richest kind of love isn't physical.) So
                big deal if he loved (a man) men? Love is love, and from what I've
                seen, there ain't enough in this world!

                When it all washes out his talents are still genius, the supernatural
                occurrence that surpass the ordinary man.

                Thanks Jerry for your enlightenment, it may have shocked a few of us,
                but oh well, BIG DEAL?

                Mary in Florida "ys"
              • Beverly Leinbach
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2000
                  Bob Putnam,

                  Just finished Whistled Like A Bird....how are you related to Dorothy? I
                  don't remember reading your name in it.

                  What year was DB mayor of FT. Pierce and for how long?

                  Do you know what has happened to the Putnam house ...Rocknoll..in
                  Rye,N.Y.? Do the Putnam's still own it and is the guest room on the first
                  floor still painted the way DB did it many years ago?

                  How are you related to Sally Putnam Chapman, and have you been to
                  Immokolee, Ft. Pierce, where she now lives. If so, are DB's paintings still
                  there that he did on the paneled doors in 1930. Or are those doors under
                  the garage in the storage place where Sally found Dorothy's old kitchen
                  table.

                  Are all of DB's Ft. Pierce friends gone now or do people still remember
                  him there.....other than the Putnam's?