[aloha-donblanding] Re: Glendale Library

    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
      Bev: The info about Edith Hope Genee (I believe thats correct) came from Mrs
      Brown after talking to tj about DB and the Vagabond house. Mrs. Brown is
      still looking for a phone number of one of the son/daughter twins in Salinas
      if they are still there. She did not know if they were there or not. You
      should also talk with Mrs Brown while you are there. She "mother hens" the
      second establishment owned via Vagabonds House owner and stays there not at
      the Vagabond House itself. Mrs Brown used to own the Vagabond House but sold
      it out in the early 80's.
      For you Bev, I have copied the Talisman card I have with the Mantle
      picture. I will mail it to you this week. I also have the article Kay Prine
      did for the Pine Cone which gives her brief accounting of DB. In this
      article it relates that DB bought his "Vagabond House" in 1938 on Camino Real
      between Ocean and 8th. I would look at the small picture of the house in the
      Pine Cone before you went out to find it. It should help you locate it. Now
      that I have more info, I could probably pin point the house and I may go back
      before you get there again....sorry, but my curiousity is greater than my
      patience.
      I have not received my package of copied DB material from the Carmel
      library yet.
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
        Bev

        Aunty Pinau is not my aunt. I was having friends with relatives in Kaupo
        Hana area research if any of the family is still there. Where her house was
        located since DB spent a few months there, as noted in Hula Moons.

        Maui Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 6 8:50 PM
          Ron, talk to me about the Dunites Hamlet up the coast from Carmel. What are
          you referring to? I'm quite close to Carmel and have researched part of it
          already. I am up towards San Francisco....what do I need to know to continue
          this search? tj
        • karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 6 9:29 PM
            Hi TJ! Here's a little info for TJ!

            Karen

            The BEST-SELLING local California history book of
            The South County Historical Society
            P. O. Box 633, Arroyo Grande, California 93421-0633

            The Dunites
            by Norm Hammond
            120 pp, illustrated, paperback, $12.00 + tax

            ----

            In 1992, Hammond and the South County Historical Society partnered the
            publishing of this great story.
            "The Dunites" has been a bestseller for the society every year!

            ----

            "The Dunites"
            This is the true story of the eclectic colony of hardy souls who lived
            hidden away in the coves and lees of the vast Oceano sand dunes at Pismo
            State Beach.

            Called a variety of names: Pismo Beach, Pismo State Beach, Pismo Dunes,
            Oceano Dunes, Nipomo Dunes, Oso Flaco Dunes, Oceano Dunes SVRA, -whatever
            the name, this vast dune formation-- now partly protected as a dune
            preserve, and partly fodder for the roaring engines and spinning wheels of
            ATVs--

            ---was once the silent, windswept domain of a village of eccentric spirits.
            Some were simple. Some were learned. One was the kin of a US president. Each
            was a story to be told. -And they told it through publications, poetry and
            art.

            In and out they flowed- themselves like the sands and tides. Each taming a
            little space in a cove or the lee of the ever-moving sand mountains,

            -until one day the last dunite walked out of the dunes and did not look
            back.
            Author Norm Hammond carefully documents the legend of the Dunites and
            illustrates the book with original dunite art and writings.

            ----

            --This is must reading for all who have ventured into the coves behind the
            dunes,
            --where the wind whispers and the sand slithers silently,
            --but especially for those who have never given it a thought.

            ----
            "The Dunites," paperback, 120 pp., illustrated. (Weight 9.3 oz)
            Copies may be purchased at
            The Heritage House museum
            126 S. Mason Street, Arroyo Grande, CA on weekends, or by mail.

            $12.00 + tax + shipping.

            ----

            ----
            Available at
            Heritage House museum, 126 S. Mason Street, Arroyo Grande, CA, on weekends.

            Halcyon Store, Halcyon

            Word Has It Bookstore, 519 Five Cities Dr, Pismo Beach

            Books West, 1350 E. Grand Ave, Arroyo Grande

            ----
            To order by mail, send a check for $16.07
            (includes tax and postage) to
            Attn: "The Dunites Book"
            South County Historical Society
            P. O. Box 633
            Arroyo Grande, CA 93421-0633

            Allow three weeks.

            Last edited September 27, 1999. The BEST-SELLING local California history

          • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 6 10:29 PM
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "karen Cotter" <doggydan@e...> wrote:
              > Hi TJ! Here's a little info for TJ!
              >
              > Karen
              >
              > The BEST-SELLING local California history book of
              > The South County Historical Society
              > P. O. Box 633, Arroyo Grande, California 93421-0633
              >
              > The Dunites
              > by Norm Hammond
              > 120 pp, illustrated, paperback, $12.00 + tax

              Karen, I was just on the verge of posting this
              reference myself. Norm Hammond is (or was)a fireman
              and local historian in the Oceano area. Lately he
              has been a promoter of local history and a sometime
              entertainment columnist for a county paper. We corresponded
              almost ten years ago.
              I am amazed the Dunites have not been stumbled on
              by this group until now. Which raises interesting
              sociological questions. If these "free spirited"
              crowds didn't cross polinate... what were the factors
              that kept them apart.

              Cheers ! Ron Jack
            • Nelson Black
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8 12:43 PM
                Keith: I think I saw one of those books at Bibliomania in Oakland, a used
                book store, some months ago. As I remember it was inscribed by the
                coordinator of the workshop...but Blanding was in there....

                Nelson
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8 3:37 PM
                  Nelson...you're my new best friend!

                  I contacted Bibliomania, and they had TWO of the Hollywood Evening
                  School books of poetry, "Dusk Holds the Nightingale," and "Evening is
                  a Window."

                  "Evening..." is signed by Hazel Kuno, the instructor of the class, so
                  they were very exciting finds indeed - and he was selling them very
                  cheap!

                  Now I just have to find a copy of "Listen! the Night."

                  Beverly...now I won't need copies of "Dusk..." - but thank you
                  anyway. I appreciate the offer.

                  ~~ Keith
                • keith2draw@home.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8 4:21 PM
                    I'm always speaking too soon. Did an extensive search on the internet
                    and came across a copy of "Listen! the Night" from a bookstore in
                    Orange, Calif. for $8.95...my set is complete!

                    Keith
                  • Ken Klein
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8 4:28 PM
                      Is there much--any--information about the Hollywood Evening School and the
                      people involved in it? Edythe Genee was there in the late 1930s. What was
                      DB's connection? It appears to have been quite a different sort of place
                      than adult evening schools now. They had their own newspaper, <Eventides>,
                      and published poetry. Do you suppose Hollywood High's night school was
                      extraordinarily literary due, perhaps, to the large numbers of writers
                      drawn to the movie capital?

                      --Ken

                      At 10:37 PM 8/8/01 -0000, you wrote:
                      >Nelson...you're my new best friend!
                      >
                      >I contacted Bibliomania, and they had TWO of the Hollywood Evening
                      >School books of poetry, "Dusk Holds the Nightingale," and "Evening is
                      >a Window."
                      >
                      >"Evening..." is signed by Hazel Kuno, the instructor of the class, so
                      >they were very exciting finds indeed - and he was selling them very
                      >cheap!
                      >
                      >Now I just have to find a copy of "Listen! the Night."
                      >
                      >Beverly...now I won't need copies of "Dusk..." - but thank you
                      >anyway. I appreciate the offer.
                      >
                      >~~ Keith

                      Ken Klein
                      East Asian Library
                      University Information Services
                      University of Southern California
                      kklein@...
                      (213) 740-1772
                      (213) 740-7437 (fax)
                    • keith2draw@home.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8 5:42 PM
                        Hi Ken,

                        I don't know very much about the Hollywood Evening School, but it
                        seems to have endured for quite a few years. I did not know about the
                        newspaper "Eventides," and am glad to find out about it. Would there
                        be copies of this publication in a library somewhere?

                        The principal for many years was Herman C. Joy...and then Carl E.
                        Hendrickson took over in 1952. Hazel Flora Kuno (1908-1990) was the
                        instructor. It was printed by the Cloister Press of Hollywood.

                        Don Blanding donated his drawings to four of their poetry annuals
                        from 1948-51. Many minor poets in Blanding's circle seem to have
                        attended:
                        * Helen Bray (one-time president of the California Chapparel Society)
                        * Elinor Henry Brown (Blanding illustrated her book `Of Little
                        Songs and Other Poems')
                        * Ida B. Claxton (published a few books)
                        * Esther Baldwin York (Scarf of Stars)
                        * and of course, as you mentioned, Edythe Hope Genee (Brief Aprils)

                        My take is that many of the students were from high society, or bored
                        wives of the movie industry, and that the local printers made much
                        money from them, producing their privately printed poetry books.

                        How did you find out about the newspaper, and Genee's early
                        attendence? I'd like to learn more from you on the subject.

                        ~~ Keith
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8 5:59 PM
                          OK!

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8 6:01 PM
                            Keith,

                            How did I miss that? I live next door to Orange.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8 6:06 PM
                              I was wondering when in Glendale, if anyone has followed up on
                              Hollywood Evening School. Ken, how did you know Edythe was there in 1930’s?
                              The 3 Poet’s Workshops I saw were dated 1947, 48 and 49.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8 10:44 PM
                                Hi again,

                                My mistake: the title of the paper was "Eventidings." I have some
                                scattered issues (vol.8:1-2 (Oct-Nov 1940), vol.9:8 (Oct 1941), vol.10:2,4
                                (Dec 1941, April 1942). My father was editor for part of that time and
                                Edyth Hope Genee a reporter. In the issue for Oct 1940, there is an
                                article entitled, "Poetry Class Shows Talent," in which it is mentioned
                                that the class (taught at that time by Julia Baldwin Hazelton), the
                                Chaparral Poets are mentioned. Edyth Genee is also mentioned as a "former
                                member of the class." So now I'm not so sure she was there in the late
                                1930s, but at least close.

                                --Ken