[aloha-donblanding] Re: Glendale Library

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
      Hi Bev,
      Yes, I'm still here... just getting ready for my trip.

      The listing I have states the Glendale Library, code CGL

      Title: Paradise Honolulu-Laguna Beach "The Fine Arts Center of America"
      presents I remember Blanding.

      Hope that helps, and good luck!

      Keith
    • Beverly Leinbach
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
        Keith,

        Looked them up today on Mapquest and they are close to each other. Will
        try and call them and see which one has it.

        Somebody mentioned Edythe Hope Genee was Don's ....... while he lived in
        Carmel and that her 2 sons may still live in Salinas. We go through there
        go and coming from Carmel. Whoever mentioned this, please remind me of the
        comments you made. Also do you recall their names (her sons). We'll check
        it out on our way home Mon. 3/20.

        Maui Tom,

        This one is for you: Is Aunty Pinau in Maui really your aunt and is she
        any relation to the Aunty Pinau Kalaukalani that DB spoke of in Hula Moons
        (or do I have the names wrong?) If there is a relationship, is that how
        your aunt knew DB?

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
          Bev: The info about Edith Hope Genee (I believe thats correct) came from Mrs
          Brown after talking to tj about DB and the Vagabond house. Mrs. Brown is
          still looking for a phone number of one of the son/daughter twins in Salinas
          if they are still there. She did not know if they were there or not. You
          should also talk with Mrs Brown while you are there. She "mother hens" the
          second establishment owned via Vagabonds House owner and stays there not at
          the Vagabond House itself. Mrs Brown used to own the Vagabond House but sold
          it out in the early 80's.
          For you Bev, I have copied the Talisman card I have with the Mantle
          picture. I will mail it to you this week. I also have the article Kay Prine
          did for the Pine Cone which gives her brief accounting of DB. In this
          article it relates that DB bought his "Vagabond House" in 1938 on Camino Real
          between Ocean and 8th. I would look at the small picture of the house in the
          Pine Cone before you went out to find it. It should help you locate it. Now
          that I have more info, I could probably pin point the house and I may go back
          before you get there again....sorry, but my curiousity is greater than my
          patience.
          I have not received my package of copied DB material from the Carmel
          library yet.
        • MauiBandB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2000
            Bev

            Aunty Pinau is not my aunt. I was having friends with relatives in Kaupo
            Hana area research if any of the family is still there. Where her house was
            located since DB spent a few months there, as noted in Hula Moons.

            Maui Tom
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 6, 2001
              Ron, talk to me about the Dunites Hamlet up the coast from Carmel. What are
              you referring to? I'm quite close to Carmel and have researched part of it
              already. I am up towards San Francisco....what do I need to know to continue
              this search? tj
            • karen Cotter
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 6, 2001
                Hi TJ! Here's a little info for TJ!

                Karen

                The BEST-SELLING local California history book of
                The South County Historical Society
                P. O. Box 633, Arroyo Grande, California 93421-0633

                The Dunites
                by Norm Hammond
                120 pp, illustrated, paperback, $12.00 + tax

                ----

                In 1992, Hammond and the South County Historical Society partnered the
                publishing of this great story.
                "The Dunites" has been a bestseller for the society every year!

                ----

                "The Dunites"
                This is the true story of the eclectic colony of hardy souls who lived
                hidden away in the coves and lees of the vast Oceano sand dunes at Pismo
                State Beach.

                Called a variety of names: Pismo Beach, Pismo State Beach, Pismo Dunes,
                Oceano Dunes, Nipomo Dunes, Oso Flaco Dunes, Oceano Dunes SVRA, -whatever
                the name, this vast dune formation-- now partly protected as a dune
                preserve, and partly fodder for the roaring engines and spinning wheels of
                ATVs--

                ---was once the silent, windswept domain of a village of eccentric spirits.
                Some were simple. Some were learned. One was the kin of a US president. Each
                was a story to be told. -And they told it through publications, poetry and
                art.

                In and out they flowed- themselves like the sands and tides. Each taming a
                little space in a cove or the lee of the ever-moving sand mountains,

                -until one day the last dunite walked out of the dunes and did not look
                back.
                Author Norm Hammond carefully documents the legend of the Dunites and
                illustrates the book with original dunite art and writings.

                ----

                --This is must reading for all who have ventured into the coves behind the
                dunes,
                --where the wind whispers and the sand slithers silently,
                --but especially for those who have never given it a thought.

                ----
                "The Dunites," paperback, 120 pp., illustrated. (Weight 9.3 oz)
                Copies may be purchased at
                The Heritage House museum
                126 S. Mason Street, Arroyo Grande, CA on weekends, or by mail.

                $12.00 + tax + shipping.

                ----

                ----
                Available at
                Heritage House museum, 126 S. Mason Street, Arroyo Grande, CA, on weekends.

                Halcyon Store, Halcyon

                Word Has It Bookstore, 519 Five Cities Dr, Pismo Beach

                Books West, 1350 E. Grand Ave, Arroyo Grande

                ----
                To order by mail, send a check for $16.07
                (includes tax and postage) to
                Attn: "The Dunites Book"
                South County Historical Society
                P. O. Box 633
                Arroyo Grande, CA 93421-0633

                Allow three weeks.

                Last edited September 27, 1999. The BEST-SELLING local California history

              • tamsui1984@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 6, 2001
                  --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "karen Cotter" <doggydan@e...> wrote:
                  > Hi TJ! Here's a little info for TJ!
                  >
                  > Karen
                  >
                  > The BEST-SELLING local California history book of
                  > The South County Historical Society
                  > P. O. Box 633, Arroyo Grande, California 93421-0633
                  >
                  > The Dunites
                  > by Norm Hammond
                  > 120 pp, illustrated, paperback, $12.00 + tax

                  Karen, I was just on the verge of posting this
                  reference myself. Norm Hammond is (or was)a fireman
                  and local historian in the Oceano area. Lately he
                  has been a promoter of local history and a sometime
                  entertainment columnist for a county paper. We corresponded
                  almost ten years ago.
                  I am amazed the Dunites have not been stumbled on
                  by this group until now. Which raises interesting
                  sociological questions. If these "free spirited"
                  crowds didn't cross polinate... what were the factors
                  that kept them apart.

                  Cheers ! Ron Jack
                • Nelson Black
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                    Keith: I think I saw one of those books at Bibliomania in Oakland, a used
                    book store, some months ago. As I remember it was inscribed by the
                    coordinator of the workshop...but Blanding was in there....

                    Nelson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                      Nelson...you're my new best friend!

                      I contacted Bibliomania, and they had TWO of the Hollywood Evening
                      School books of poetry, "Dusk Holds the Nightingale," and "Evening is
                      a Window."

                      "Evening..." is signed by Hazel Kuno, the instructor of the class, so
                      they were very exciting finds indeed - and he was selling them very
                      cheap!

                      Now I just have to find a copy of "Listen! the Night."

                      Beverly...now I won't need copies of "Dusk..." - but thank you
                      anyway. I appreciate the offer.

                      ~~ Keith
                    • keith2draw@home.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                        I'm always speaking too soon. Did an extensive search on the internet
                        and came across a copy of "Listen! the Night" from a bookstore in
                        Orange, Calif. for $8.95...my set is complete!

                        Keith
                      • Ken Klein
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                          Is there much--any--information about the Hollywood Evening School and the
                          people involved in it? Edythe Genee was there in the late 1930s. What was
                          DB's connection? It appears to have been quite a different sort of place
                          than adult evening schools now. They had their own newspaper, <Eventides>,
                          and published poetry. Do you suppose Hollywood High's night school was
                          extraordinarily literary due, perhaps, to the large numbers of writers
                          drawn to the movie capital?

                          --Ken

                          At 10:37 PM 8/8/01 -0000, you wrote:
                          >Nelson...you're my new best friend!
                          >
                          >I contacted Bibliomania, and they had TWO of the Hollywood Evening
                          >School books of poetry, "Dusk Holds the Nightingale," and "Evening is
                          >a Window."
                          >
                          >"Evening..." is signed by Hazel Kuno, the instructor of the class, so
                          >they were very exciting finds indeed - and he was selling them very
                          >cheap!
                          >
                          >Now I just have to find a copy of "Listen! the Night."
                          >
                          >Beverly...now I won't need copies of "Dusk..." - but thank you
                          >anyway. I appreciate the offer.
                          >
                          >~~ Keith

                          Ken Klein
                          East Asian Library
                          University Information Services
                          University of Southern California
                          kklein@...
                          (213) 740-1772
                          (213) 740-7437 (fax)
                        • keith2draw@home.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                            Hi Ken,

                            I don't know very much about the Hollywood Evening School, but it
                            seems to have endured for quite a few years. I did not know about the
                            newspaper "Eventides," and am glad to find out about it. Would there
                            be copies of this publication in a library somewhere?

                            The principal for many years was Herman C. Joy...and then Carl E.
                            Hendrickson took over in 1952. Hazel Flora Kuno (1908-1990) was the
                            instructor. It was printed by the Cloister Press of Hollywood.

                            Don Blanding donated his drawings to four of their poetry annuals
                            from 1948-51. Many minor poets in Blanding's circle seem to have
                            attended:
                            * Helen Bray (one-time president of the California Chapparel Society)
                            * Elinor Henry Brown (Blanding illustrated her book `Of Little
                            Songs and Other Poems')
                            * Ida B. Claxton (published a few books)
                            * Esther Baldwin York (Scarf of Stars)
                            * and of course, as you mentioned, Edythe Hope Genee (Brief Aprils)

                            My take is that many of the students were from high society, or bored
                            wives of the movie industry, and that the local printers made much
                            money from them, producing their privately printed poetry books.

                            How did you find out about the newspaper, and Genee's early
                            attendence? I'd like to learn more from you on the subject.

                            ~~ Keith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                              OK!

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                                Keith,

                                How did I miss that? I live next door to Orange.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                                  I was wondering when in Glendale, if anyone has followed up on
                                  Hollywood Evening School. Ken, how did you know Edythe was there in 1930’s?
                                  The 3 Poet’s Workshops I saw were dated 1947, 48 and 49.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 8, 2001
                                    Hi again,

                                    My mistake: the title of the paper was "Eventidings." I have some
                                    scattered issues (vol.8:1-2 (Oct-Nov 1940), vol.9:8 (Oct 1941), vol.10:2,4
                                    (Dec 1941, April 1942). My father was editor for part of that time and
                                    Edyth Hope Genee a reporter. In the issue for Oct 1940, there is an
                                    article entitled, "Poetry Class Shows Talent," in which it is mentioned
                                    that the class (taught at that time by Julia Baldwin Hazelton), the
                                    Chaparral Poets are mentioned. Edyth Genee is also mentioned as a "former
                                    member of the class." So now I'm not so sure she was there in the late
                                    1930s, but at least close.

                                    --Ken