[aloha-donblanding] Re: aloha-donblanding digest

  • RBHutchins@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
      In a message dated 2/4/100 1:28:07 PM EST, aloha-donblanding@egroups.com
      writes:

      << (Blue
      Coral Reef was DB's set of everyday dishes...he would be astonished at
      how precious they are to collectors!) >>

      Hi, Cadia. . . .

      Responding to an *old* post of yours. . . .I'm wondering how this particular
      bit of intelligence came to your attention. . . .I don't suppose you have any
      idea what happened to Blanding's Coral Reef set? or whether he used any of
      his dinnerware patterns in addition to the Coral Reef?

      -Bob
    • Jakable@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
        Wow indeed.

        I am not surpirse that Don would have been gay or bisexual, but that does not
        diminish one whit his talent, the beauty of his poetry or his insignful
        observations about Hawaii, California, Florida and Oregon.

        TJ, I think you should see if the Monterey Herald has a place for an article
        about Don. It circulates up and down the coast, including Carmel, Big Sur
        and other points where there may be bits and pieces of Don Blanding
        knowledge. It has the advantage of being owned by Knight Rider, which also
        owns the Mercury News and Contra Costa Times in the Bay Area. Stories are
        sometimes shared via a common wire service in the company. And this might
        include the Seattle Times, which is partly owned by Knight Rider.
        But certainly try the Pine Cone and the inflight magazines. Photos or copies
        of drawing would help such articles if we could fine some to submit.

        I can contribute little to this group in the way of undiscoverd material
        about Don Blanding, but I would be willing to edit any potential articles,
        since that is what I do for a living.

        And herein end my 2 cents worth for the day.
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2000
          Hi, Bob...

          Thanks for checking in! Actually, when I met Charles Lovell and his
          wife in 1992, they gave me a phone number for Dorothy's granddaughter,
          Sally Putnam Chapman. At that time, Sally had what was left of the set
          and was looking for more pieces. Since I also collected Coral Reef, I
          did not have any to sell her.

          It's pretty well known that DB's favorite color was blue, and those
          "angel" fish show up frequently in his work. Make sense?

          I don't have my copy of her book "Whistled Like a Bird" handy, but I
          think Sally mentions the dishes. I gather that DB and Dorothy used
          Coral Reef at their home in Florida.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2000
            tj says, DB also published in the Monterey local newspaper according to my
            Carmel sources. They were going to try to located a name for me. This is
            good info to pursue...
          • Jakable@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2000
              Count me in for a copy. I could retrive it myself since we live so close
              together.
            • Jakable@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17, 2000
                So are any of us attorneys?
                A good lawyer would be useful right now, but I strongly favor the idea of a
                foundation dedicated to the preservation of the art and memory of Don
                Blanding with the idea that we might even offer a schoalrship for aspiring
                poets at some point.
                I think foundaitons can tap into other foundations for grants in specific
                areas.
                Dues are good, so are donations.