Indian River Magazine article

  • tjmarkle2005
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
      I wanted to clarify a sentence in the article that appeared in the October edition of the Indian River magazine.

      The author took her own liberties in describing me as the "foremost scholar" of Blanding. These were not my words. It was her own interpretation of the situation. She knew little of Blanding and found me via the Carmel Heritage Society who referred her to me. We emailed for weeks as I built up her knowledge of Blanding so she could write the article. I offered to co-write it but she declined and proceeded on her own with the final published article.
      I know that Cadia, Keith and other have contributed as much as I to the growing knowledge and legend of Blanding. This sentence did bother me and I wanted to put it out to the group as such.
      I am continually searching for markets like this to promote Blanding and will continue to do so. Hopefully, this clarifies this little uneasy situation for myself. Thanks...tj
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
        Well, I wouldn't sweat that appellation, tj...you are the only one that shares your most exciting findings in your ongoing hunt with all of us.

        I "met" Keith way back when, when his daughters were but mere tots and we chatted for a while, but I've never heard or read anything of his findings. Same with Cadia, et al. While I like them both admire their hard work and professionalism, I have not the personal Blanding connection with them as I do you as you share your research. Worry not - would you rather she called you the "hindmost" scholar of Blanding? ha ha ha We all know you are surely not that.

        We all have enjoyed your journeys and discoveries, at least I have.

        Karen Cotter

        -----Original Message----c-

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

          I agree with you Karen.  Tom keep on searching.

          Bev.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013

            Tom,

            You deserve the distinction of being called the foremost scholar for all your work lately. I have not really done any Blanding research in over a decade, other than a little poking around here or there.

            Cadia does contribute a lot of her findings though, so she needs to be acknowledged for her work...as well as for providing this forum.

            When I have time in the future, I will pick up where I left off...and will happily share my findings with whomever cares to listen.

            Keith

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
              I've always been a believer in teamwork and that's what Cadia's site does.  The site has lost some of it's zip but I think people get tired of he constant search for information.  DB has a special place in my heart for various reasons and I am repaying him for one moment of clarity he provided to me at a critical point in my young life.  Cadia deserves a lot of credit for maintaining this site and for the long hours in front of a computer downloading information about him.  Since I'm talking, consider the following:

              I have my own research coming in from Oklahoma.  It should be here any day.  I'm particularly interested in the relationship between Apache scout, John Loco (Junior) and young teenage blanding.  I note that his son lives in S.F. and is an artist.  When I get the info I'll try and track him down as I live close by to SF.

              I have research coming in from the Huntington Library and it should be coming in next month.  There were over 200 pieces to be copied, much of it from Blanding's literary agent from 1948-1957.

              I'm hoping the Indian River Magazine article unlocks new info about the marriage to Dorothy.  I'm emailing with the editor with no response to date as to how well the article was received.

              I'm probing the Honolulu Star-Advertiser as to whether they would allow me to do a short series on Blanding.  I suggested a three part series.  I have no response so far but I'm a bulldog.

              tj

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
                I think the phrasing is a non-issue. It is sadly the kind of thing
                reporters and writers do without giving much thought to what they just
                said. They are working with a knowledgeable person and occasionally give
                then unwarranted credentials. That being said, I believe you are a
                scholar on this matter ... a foremost scholar is not a bad thing.