[aloha-donblanding] DB article

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
      Due to my visit in Carmel and seeing what is in the current Carmel Pine Cone,
      I had already thought of putting together an article for the Pine Cone. The
      local "Carmelites" are very unhappy with the current editors as they are
      unresponsive to local interests, or at least that's what I was told. I have
      emailed the Pine Cone twice with no response so far. I have two locals that
      knew DB (or of him) and I think they would be an interesting lead into DB for
      the local "Carmelites". DB was quite significant in Carmel during his time
      there, we all know that. This then was the area I was targeting for an
      article. It would be local to Carmel and surrounding area. It is also close
      to me so that I can go there and obtain more info and pictures of the locals,
      etc.
      I am going thru all of my written data, much of which was taken from
      this site, to review dates and times he was in Carmel. Also, what books he
      may have authored while there. Cadia, I note you said he designed all 10 of
      his ceramic designs while in Carmel. How do you know that? What years did
      this occur?
      If anyone has a summary of dates he resided in Carmel, please email.
      Otherwise I will probe through all of my material.
      My intent was to put our email group in the article and not reference
      any one person per se. We are all a team on this project. If it is
      benificial to describe why one or all of us like DB's work, we could each
      write a brief statement to that effect, not to overload the article however.
      I really think that one of the attractions is that we have such a large
      devoted group and its not just one person. I also liked the idea to write
      for Aloha Airlines magazine....
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2000
        TJ,

        The Vernon Kilns book, "Collectible Vernon Kilns" by Maxine Nelson,
        cites 1938 as the production date of the 10 Blanding designs. Ads in
        my collection are from mid-1938 to mid-1939. So I'm going to speculate
        that early-1937-early 1938 was the probable timespan in Carmel. DB
        also "completed" "The Rest of the Road" (published Sept. 1937) in
        Carmel. We also know that he returned in April 1937 to Hawaii to
        celebrate the 10th anniversary of Lei Day (May 1).

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2000
          tj says thanks to Cadia...coincidently I just bought the maxine Nelson book.
          I'll read through it.