RE: [aloha-donblanding] Huntington Library

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
      Armine had a long history with the London's after their first visit to the
      Ranch in 1907.

      She visited the Ranch often and knew Elisa Sheppard quite well.

      Bev.

      _____

      From: Bev Leinbach <bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> >
      To: "aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      From: THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
        Did you find the scrapbook?  I'm quite curious about it.  tj

        ________________________________
        I have a whole scrap book I believe was Elisa and Don Blanding. I'll try to dig it up and scan the pages. One 8x10 black and white pic is don sitting down in the middle of the the crowd of hollywood elite. posing for a pic. I believe at a Library in southern California.  I pick this scrapbook up at roseville auction in California a few years back.

        ________________________________
        Armine von Tempsky was there with him at one time and it is she that introduced him to Charmian London when she visited the Ball's in LA.

        Bev.

        I've received my first batch of material from the Huntington.  There's nothing exciting in it except some letters between DB and Elisa London Shepard, who managed Jack London's property in Glen Ellen CA.  It does tell me that Don himself knew her prior to going there for a few weeks on his way to Carmel with Scotty on their road trip.  I recall some past speculation that it was Armine that knew Elisa and it was she that got them to go there.  Apparently not.  Much of the material is dated which is a bit unusual for DB but nice for putting it into a time line.  My next batch will be the letters/communications from/to his agent.  Those might be more interesting.  tj

      • Ken Lee
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
          i was looking for it last night. I had at my shop when i closed it down and brought it back home and put in the garage. I think the scrap book belong to his wife. She was on tour with him and kept clipping of newspaper events, and she also wrote a few poems in it.  Along with the art for a cover of a book she was putting together.

          ________________________________
[...]

        • Karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
            That would be a real treasure if you could find it. Of course there is a small niche for Blanding fans (most of them elderly I notice, including me) but if you find it before we all die of old age or Alzheimer's, I'm sure (I speak for myself alone) I would be happy to pay you for a copy ... Cheerio! Karen Cotter

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
              I would like a copy also to see if Armine vT-Ball is in it.

              "She was on Tour with him" Who do you mean.Elisa London Sheppard?

              Bev.

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                Did you find it yet????   Just curious...tj

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9, 2013
                  Hi Ken:  Any luck finding this gem??  tj

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
                    I'm curious about this. Have you located it yet?  tj