Re: [aloha-donblanding] Huntington Library

  • Ken Lee
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
      I have a whole scrap book I believe was Elisa and Don Blanding. I'll try to dig it up and scan the pages. One 8x10 black and white pic is don sitting down in the middle of the the crowd of hollywood elite. posing for a pic. I believe at a Library in southern California.  I pick this scrapbook up at roseville auction in California a few years back.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
        I'd like the scans.  You can email me privately and I'll give you my snail mail addresss.  This scrap book might also interest the Jack London archives in Glenn Ellen, CA.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
          I'd like to tighten up that part of the research.  How did Armine get involved with Elisa?  I know Jack London visited with Armine's parents in early 1916 just Blanding came to Hawaii.  How did that relationship continue on with Elisa?  Questions, questions, questions.  The letters to/from DB and Elisa were in 1936 and were of mundane things like finding Navajo or Indian blankets for her.  Not much info to get excited about.  I have my own visions of DB being consciously or unconsciously influenced to go to Carmel because of the legacy left by Jack London and Stoddard in Carmel.  tj

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
            Do you have anything about Armine von Tempski-Ball in that scrap book?

            Bev.

            _____

            From: Bev Leinbach <bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> >
            To: "aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
              Also the Huntington Library, Jack London Collection might be interested.

              Bev.

              _____

              From: Ken Lee <fishing4fun70@... <mailto:fishing4fun70%40yahoo.com> >
              To: "aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com

              From: Bev Leinbach <bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> >
              To: "aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2013
                Armine had a long history with the London's after their first visit to the
                Ranch in 1907.

                She visited the Ranch often and knew Elisa Sheppard quite well.

                Bev.

                _____

                From: Bev Leinbach <bevbach@... <mailto:bevbach%40pacbell.net> >
                To: "aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
                  Did you find the scrapbook?  I'm quite curious about it.  tj

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
                    i was looking for it last night. I had at my shop when i closed it down and brought it back home and put in the garage. I think the scrap book belong to his wife. She was on tour with him and kept clipping of newspaper events, and she also wrote a few poems in it.  Along with the art for a cover of a book she was putting together.

                    ________________________________
[...]

                  • Karen Cotter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
                      That would be a real treasure if you could find it. Of course there is a small niche for Blanding fans (most of them elderly I notice, including me) but if you find it before we all die of old age or Alzheimer's, I'm sure (I speak for myself alone) I would be happy to pay you for a copy ... Cheerio! Karen Cotter

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2013
                        I would like a copy also to see if Armine vT-Ball is in it.

                        "She was on Tour with him" Who do you mean.Elisa London Sheppard?

                        Bev.

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                          Did you find it yet????   Just curious...tj

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 9, 2013
                            Hi Ken:  Any luck finding this gem??  tj

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
                              I'm curious about this. Have you located it yet?  tj