RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Huntington Library cache

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2013
      My DB research is put away and I am not sure what I got and what they have
      now.

      I don't recall looking at an agents papers. But, I have been so involved
      with looking for AvT

      that I don't recall what I found on DB.

      Bev.

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2013
        I've read over 200 pages of DB material from 1948-1957 contained in the Huntington papers. The majority of the papers are to/from Arthur Babcock, DB's publicist during those years. The letters are to/from Dodd-Mead, DB's publisher. Though not particularly interesting per se, they reveal the everyday life of DB during this time. I have letters regarding several books and the publicity involved in promoting them. For sure, Dodd-Mead expected a lot from DB when paying him for his books and subsequent travel expenses to promote the books. It took meticulous coordination from Babcock and Blanding to pull it off. Poor old DB became worn down with the schedules however. With months of buses, trains, planes and automobiles as well as the rubber chicken circuit, he would become ornery (sp?) and inhospitable to those controlling his time. When on display, he smiled and back slapped but underneath he wanted to leave. Occasionally he just disappeared. Not even Babcock knew where he went. Babcock would wire Dodd-Mead and relate, "The Master has disappeared again." Dodd-Mead knew the value of keeping him happy and would overlook these disappearances, though they weren't too pleased. He valued his admirers however. When Dodd-Mead wanted to airbrush out his admirers in publicity photo's, DB would have nothing of the kind. If anything he enjoyed the sincerity of his admirers and relished them putting their arms around him and on him. He wanted all those "arms and limbs" in the photo with him. I also learned that all of the original artwork DB did for each book, was sent to Dodd-Mead. They then made the bookplates from it. They recognized it as belonging to Don but would send much of it to book dealers to be put on display. What happened to it after that is unknown. I thought DB gave his artwork away to friends upon completion but that isn't the case, not that he might not have designated some of it to go to friends. Maybe some of his artwork is in the basements of the various bookstores that promoted his books? None the less, it certainly has disappeared. tj
        I have more papers coming from the Huntington and it'll be interesting to read it and see what else is new with my Blanding research. tj
      • Karen Cotter
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2013
          WOW, THANK YOU FOR THE "BOOK REPORT", TJ. THIS WAS REALLY INTERESTING! A BIT OF A GRIM CONTEMPLATION AS TO THE FATE OF ALL THOSE MARVELOUS BUT MISSING ARTWORK PIECES. ONE CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHERE SOME OF THEM MIGHT BE LANGUISHING AND THE INEVITABLE DESTRUCTION OF MANY BY HEIRS OF THOSE TO WHOM HE "BEQUEATHED" HIS WORK AT THE TIME....FOUND IN CLOSETS, BASEMENTS, AMONGST OTHER SUCH PAPERWORK INEVITABLY LEFT BEHIND BY AT LEAST HALF OF HIS RECIPIENTS BY THEIR POST MORTEM "CLEANER-UPPERS" AND VIEWED AS "THIS OLD JUNK" OR "THIS OLD POSTER"....SLIGHTLY YELLOWED FROM IMPROPER CARE AND USED UNDER SOMEONE'S CAT'S DISH OF TUNA WITHIN THE MONTH.

          AS AN OLD ESTATE SALE HABITUE IN MY YOUNGER YEARS, I KNOW WHEREOF I SPEAK.

          I SURE AM FOLLOWING YOUR LATEST DIG WITH INTEREST...THANK GOODNESS YOU ARE FUNNY, INTELLIGENT, LITERATE AND SURELY QUALIFIED TO BE THE "INVESTIGATOR" AND I HOPE I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO READ THE RESULT! OR CAN STILL READ BY THEN, HA HA.

          KAREN C

          >I've read over 200 pages of DB material from 1948-1957 contained in the Huntington papers. The majority of the papers are to/from Arthur Babcock, DB's publicist during those years. The letters are to/from Dodd-Mead, DB's publisher. Though not particularly interesting per se, they reveal the everyday life of DB during this time. I have letters regarding several books and the publicity involved in promoting them. For sure, Dodd-Mead expected a lot from DB when paying him for his books and subsequent travel expenses to promote the books. It took meticulous coordination from Babcock and Blanding to pull it off. Poor old DB became worn down with the schedules however. With months of buses, trains, planes and automobiles as well as the rubber chicken circuit, he would become ornery (sp?) and inhospitable to those controlling his time. When on display, he smiled and back slapped but underneath he wanted to leave. Occasionally he just disappeared. Not even Babcock knew where he went. Babcock would wire Dodd-Mead and relate, "The Master has disappeared again." Dodd-Mead knew the value of keeping him happy and would overlook these disappearances, though they weren't too pleased. He valued his admirers however. When Dodd-Mead wanted to airbrush out his admirers in publicity photo's, DB would have nothing of the kind. If anything he enjoyed the sincerity of his admirers and relished them putting their arms around him and on him. He wanted all those "arms and limbs" in the photo with him. I also learned that all of the original artwork DB did for each book, was sent to Dodd-Mead. They then made the bookplates from it. They recognized it as belonging to Don but would send much of it to book dealers to be put on display. What happened to it after that is unknown. I thought DB gave his artwork away to friends upon completion but that isn't the case, not that he might not have designated some of it to go to friends. Maybe some of his artwork is in the basements of the various bookstores that promoted his books? None the less, it certainly has disappeared. tj
          > I have more papers coming from the Huntington and it'll be interesting to read it and see what else is new with my Blanding research. tj

        • Kenneth Klein
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2013
            Well, I can at least account for the full set of "incidental" artwork drawn by Blanding for "A Grand Time Living" (e.g. a drawing of a slice of watermelon). I received them from Mary Cox, poet-friend to both him and Edyth Hope Genee, shortly before her death. She also had a quantity of documents, such as minutes from their chapter of the Chapparel Poets, in her closet and she was about to let me have them when she passed on without a proper will. All of her things were taken by the state and the papers, likely, dumped. Who knows what else what lost?

            --Ken Klein

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2013

              WOW, THAT IS HEARTBREAKING....A SAD STORY TOLD MANY TIMES - WHAT'S "JUNK" TO THE AVERAGE PERSON IS OFTEN SOMETHING OF GREAT VALUE TO THE EDUCATED OR EVEN IF IT IS ONLY OF SENTIMENTAL VALUE, OFTEN ESCAPING THE HANDS OF THE HEIRS, COLLECTORS OR EVEN SIMPLY THE SEMI-KNOWLEDGEABLE.

              FORTUNATELY, I AM THE 5TH GENERATION OF CALIFORNIA PIONEERS AND EACH GENERATION HAS BEEN "AWARE" OF OUR HERITAGE AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DUMPED, DESTROYED OR "LOST" AND 90% OF US ARE STILL INTERESTED, STILL AWARE AND STILL CAREFUL OF WHAT HAS BEEN PASSED ON...

              FUNNY JUST THIS MORNING I WAS TALKING TO AN OLD CHAP IN SACRAMENTO AND HE WAS BEMOANING THAT 60% OF THE TREASURES ONCE HELD IN SUTTER'S FORT WHEN IT BELONGED TO THE GOVERNMENT HAVE BEEN "DISAPPEARED" WITHOUT EXPLANATION OR EXCUSE BY THE PARK SERVICE WHO OVERSEES IT NOW.

              K COTTER

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2013
                So you have the originals?  Can email photos?  I've rescued about 7 originals that are hanging on my museum (my wife's term) wall.  I have them designated to the Great Plains Museum in Lawton, OK., when I join old DB someday.  tj

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2013
                  I'll see about taking photos and sending them around. It might take a few days....

                  --Ken

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I have 20 pieces altogether from <A Grand Time Living> and have attached five of them herein. I apologize for the poor quality of some of them; I am not very skilled at taking pictures with an iPad. Each illustration has written on it, in pencil, the page number on which it was to be printed in the book. The ones I have, for the most part, are the "incidental" illustrations, although the one I number here as GrandTime04 is a full-page illustration in the book.

                    --Ken

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 12, 2013

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 13, 2013
                        It appears that all my Huntington Beach material is specific to 1948 and 1953.  So, it doesn't cover A Grand Time Living.  To bad.  You have a nice collection from that book.  I have more coming and have no idea what it covers.  tj